how to swap a Blink SD card

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have any pictures off-hand, however the SD card slot is on the back side of a circuit board that is behind the screen. You should be able to barely see the SD card poking out from the bottom edge of the circuit board (by the USB port if memory serves me). Press up on the SD card and it will eject, allowing you to insert the new one - pressing up on it to lock it into position.

There are a few pictures floating around the forum of the inside of the Blink, so I would go looking at those.

Anyone around able to tell me how to replace the SD card ... I know where it is but have "no clue" how to proceed when I retrieve the SD card : how could I get a new one ? I have to add that I'm officially "half witted" about any thing that has to do with technology ... therefore if the solution requires some "knowledge" thefore I'm desperately condemned to have a useless Blink in my garage and will have to continue to use my 110 V socket instead ... What a waste of tax money if it's the case ... Thanks for your help and patience.

For all that poking around the insides of the Blink, I still don't have a useful shot of the underside. That kind of photography is harder than it looks (I find out each time I try it). And finding photos on this forum isn't exactly easy, either. So, we can start with "the original" pictures from ingineer. I'll quote the first one, and you can follow this link to see the rest of them:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3279#p77941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pic

You can see that there are two circuit boards behind the display and in front of the power meter. The display is the white thing on the right, and the power meter is the grey box on the left.

The left board (where the blue cable emerges) is an Ecotality board and they put their name on their boards. The board on the right is the processor board. The white cable with the ferrite slug around it is the cable to the LCD.

The best I could do for the processor board itself, was use a photo from the manufacturer's site:

HYD_BOT11.jpg

The LCD cable connector is at the upper right, so this should allow you to orient where the board is in the box. It is flipped over, so the parts in the photo face the rear of the box. This puts the SD card connector to the left. When you reach up you will find the card is just about flush with the edge of the board. Operation is mostly by feel. In my unit, there's little or no spring so you have to pull the card out manually. When you insert it again you want to make sure it clicks into place. Normally the spring would push it back out if it didn't engage, but if they are all like mine, you can't rely on the spring. I get the feeling our boards are not identical to the photo. That SD slot looks awfully big. We have micro-SD cards in ours.

As for obtaining a card, you can either image copy another one; find the posted file image and write the image to your card (the above are not for the faint of heart; maybe seek out the local whiz kid and have it him do it); have Blink or your friendly service guy give you one, or ... did the OP say they are now selling them to us?

jpcvb said:
...thefore I'm desperately condemned to have a useless Blink in my garage and will have to continue to use my 110 V socket instead ...
I suppose I should have mentioned that if you unplug that blue cable, your Blink will instantly turn into a mindless charging station. Just plug in and go. This is covered in that thread I linked to at the start of my post.

Where do find that "posted image file" for creating a new SD. Basically i want to switch from the commercial image to the residential image. I am currently charging off the unplugged "dumb" evse, and i want to play with full featured and see if it has any sort of reliability.

ScotMac said:
Where do find that "posted image file" for creating a new SD. Basically i want to switch from the commercial image to the residential image. I am currently charging off the unplugged "dumb" evse, and i want to play with full featured and see if it has any sort of reliability.
I'm pretty sure it is just a flag in the same image to go from commercial to residential, but I'm not sure which one it is. Here is the residential image: https://mega.co.nz/#!Kd12WSKY!M8rB7RJRglS7rH3Ig-pQmSvMVE4zwl3I13C49aHIvkU

Brightonuk said:
My SD card is bad so Blink sold me a replacement ...
What did the replacement micro SD card cost?

Your post is the first I have read of Blink selling replacement micro SD card.
Mine is likely bad and I have it working as dumb EVSE.
Was considering buying a card and using one of the software images others have posted, or getting an image from my neighbors Blink.

But if Blink cost for new card is reasonable, that may be the more reliable approach.

Were you able to locate the micro SD card and replace it with the new one from Blink?

Did you take any pictures clearly showing it's location?

TimLee said:
Were you able to locate the micro SD card and replace it with the new one from Blink?
With the cover off, the SD card pokes out of the bottom of the main board, just behind the screen. Press up on the card and it will eject downward. Replace the card by pressing up into the SD slot and it will secure into place.

DarkStar said:
TimLee said:
With the cover off, the SD card pokes out of the bottom of the main board, just behind the screen. Press up on the card and it will eject downward. Replace the card by pressing up into the SD slot and it will secure into place.
Thanks.

You indicated in abother topic you bought non-working Blink.
DarkStar said:
FYI: I bought Brightonuk's Blink.

I'll probably work up a few basic articles on the original Blink EVSE, including opening it and identifying the various items contained within, along with some basic troubleshooting and eventually work up to advanced troubleshooting.

Since Blink has been fairly non-responsive, I've assisted quite a few local Blink EVSE owners with their issues and so far haven't come across a complete hardware failure - however I plan on using this extra Blink to be able to swap out components to find out which ones need to be replaced as they come up. Hopefully Blink will eventually allow us to buy replacement components, but we're probably stuck with cannibalizing other units in the meantime.

Otherwise, keep a lookout in the Blink sub-forum (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewforum.php?f=43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) as I'll probably post my instructional articles there...
I looked but did not find any other instructional articles, other than the earlier ones on how to make replacement micro SD card which should be very helpful although I haven't bought a card to try it yet.
Could you point me to a link?

TimLee said:
I looked but did not find any other instructional articles, other than the earlier ones on how to make replacement micro SD card which should be very helpful although I haven't bought a card to try it yet.
Could you point me to a link?
It's been a fairly low priority for me since I got that Blink as a backup. The easiest way to make a new SD card is to download the image file I provided and then use Win32 Disk Imager to write it to a new SD card.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

can you upload your sd card image file??so i can download it because i missed my sd card.
thanks alot

There is a link to an image file on the previous page:

https://mega.nz/#!Kd12WSKY!M8rB7RJRglS7rH3Ig-pQmSvMVE4zwl3I13C49aHIvkU

Randy said:
There is a link to an image file on the previous page:

https://mega.nz/#!Kd12WSKY!M8rB7RJRglS7rH3Ig-pQmSvMVE4zwl3I13C49aHIvkU
Hi this link is dead can someone put this file on github or archve.org?
Thanks!!!

Back