Spare Tire Mod

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joerivct said:
I finished my spare tire mod and was going to upload images but no joy - how is this done?
If you upgrade your membership to "gold" status I believe that you can post images directly.

Otherwise, you need to upload them to a photo hosting site (most are free) and then get the link to the photo and put it inside image tags. I used to use imageshack but they have started charging so now I use Flickr, which is associated with a Yahoo mail account. I presume that you can also upload and link to images at gmail and hotmail. Other photo hosting sites ought to work as well or you could just search "free image hosting". A bit of a nuisance to set up an account but after that it is pretty easy.

Here is the finished product:

IMG_1076.jpg

And what's under the carpet:

IMG_1077.jpg

There are two storage areas - one in the tire hub and the other on the left, under the hinge:

IMG_1078.jpg

The post keep the hinged area flat and allows material to be stored on it. I hold the tire down with a bolt and hold the platform down with a tie-rod:

IMG_1082.jpg

Right now I have jumper cables in the tire hub and the 120v EV cable, air pump and umbrella in a bag under the hinged area.
I used the floor mat as a template for the 1/2" plywood platform. All told took about 1/2 day and I feel a lot better with the spare.

Thanks for the image help - flickr did not work but postimg.org works fine.

^^Nicely done! Those of us with 2011/2012 LEAFs can't fit a spare flat on the floor of the trunk, from what others have said, so it is interesting to see that it can be done with the newer models.

Yes, Flickr does work for image hosting if you use the forum/bulletin board code:
12776310193_9297b5db18_n.jpg

Those of us with 2011/2012 LEAFs can't fit a spare flat on the floor of the trunk, from what others have said, so it is interesting to see that it can be done with the newer models.

Have you tried the smallest donut spare that will fit the wheel?

Nice Job joerivct!

I like how you've made use of the extra space in the spare. I may have to ' modify ' my false floor to access
that unused space. Great idea.

dR0equA.jpg

I'll probably add a post to mine to support weight on the hinged section. Maybe I'll move an item or two that is only needed to change a tire into the tire hole. That wouldn't require another hatch.

Thanks for the kind comments! Now I keep my 110v cable in the tire hole - have not used it since I put in the 220v. The jack is in the access panel on the left side, so usable space under the platform is maximized. Thinking seriously to buy a portable jump starter rather than jumper cables - lots of choices on Amazon.

Thinking seriously to buy a portable jump starter rather than jumper cables - lots of choices on Amazon.

If you are concerned about weight and/or space, all you need is a 7+ AH UPS battery, and a little set of alligator clips to plug into it. Wrap it up in bubble wrap, and you have a "jump starter" that weighs less than half as much.

LeftieBiker said:
Thinking seriously to buy a portable jump starter rather than jumper cables - lots of choices on Amazon.

If you are concerned about weight and/or space, all you need is a 7+ AH UPS battery, and a little set of alligator clips to plug into it. Wrap it up in bubble wrap, and you have a "jump starter" that weighs less than half as much.

I tried that and the alligator clips melted.

1901351_10152279040258704_1724784778_n.jpg

They were too small. I suggest the kind that come as a pigtail and plug into a battery maintainer lead (Battery Tender Jr. or Diehard). They are already designed for the job.

Yep! LOL

Added some more updates to my Mod website today: http://www.SALsLEAF.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tszukow said:
Lasareath- for sure you can tell people around that your Leaf is "Fully loaded" model.

I finished up the spare tire setup yesterday evening, in preparation for an EV show this Saturday. I attached dark grey foam pipe wrap to all the sides of the false floor, then stapled it (the wrap) in place. I also added a support piece for the 'trap door' on the left, so it lays flat, and gave it a rope handle to make it easy to open. I'm told that my Leaf will be the only one at the show with a spare. I'll take pictures then.

WyrTwister said:
What spare did you buy ? What car was it from ?

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

This post was couple of years old. I bought the spare on Ebay, and I don't recall the year/model. I will note that it turned to to be slightly too large (inflated) for the tire to clear the Bose sub-woofer, as installed. I didn't mention the details?

EDIT: The spare is for an Altima, but I don't remember what year.

I think I may have found an Altama donut spare on ebay .

My leaf is a 2012 w/o Boise .

Thanks. , :)
Wyr
God bless

djjazzy said:
I wanted a way to carry a spare tire in the car, and have an easy way to take it all out if necessary. No way I was gonna put that fix a flat stuff into the flat tire. Got a spare on Ebay along with the jack, all for $110. I figure if I have to use it once, it's worth the 110 bucks. But having the spare in the cargo area made putting things in the trunk a bit unstable, due to the tire being in there. Had to come up with a nicer looking and workable plan. And here it is.... the False Floor Cargo Mod. Under the false floor, I now can store the spare tire, the jack, wrench, emergency tools, and of course the Nissan 120V EVSE, (which I use every day to charge at work)
Here are some pics of how it looks.

Plenty of room for the tire and a bunch of other stuff too!

I know this is an old post but I really like what you did here, I plan on the same thing. Is your spare a 16" and does it match your rims?

Thanks!, I don't recall 100%, in one of the pages of this post I list the exact sizes of what spare you should buy based on which LEAF wheels you have. The Steel wheels / 2011 Aluminum wheel have a different diameter than the 2013 and up SL 17" wheels

Sal Cameli

Scaramanga said:
djjazzy said:
I wanted a way to carry a spare tire in the car, and have an easy way to take it all out if necessary. No way I was gonna put that fix a flat stuff into the flat tire. Got a spare on Ebay along with the jack, all for $110. I figure if I have to use it once, it's worth the 110 bucks. But having the spare in the cargo area made putting things in the trunk a bit unstable, due to the tire being in there. Had to come up with a nicer looking and workable plan. And here it is.... the False Floor Cargo Mod. Under the false floor, I now can store the spare tire, the jack, wrench, emergency tools, and of course the Nissan 120V EVSE, (which I use every day to charge at work)
Here are some pics of how it looks.

Plenty of room for the tire and a bunch of other stuff too!

I know this is an old post but I really like what you did here, I plan on the same thing. Is your spare a 16" and does it match your rims?

Anyone wondering what spare tire will fit a 2019 Leaf, one from a 2019 Sentra will do the trick.

AF1QipN3MrjqZ369ndRbschgH1EvG1DGasadaSncglB_

AF1QipPiiqt-qCZGy2oTRGHhUkRuuUuTsTl4xFplkZXn

AF1QipNlE4BiQdH3FBldKckhkZ4MV3PbjFpBnaCG-HTk

AF1QipMBRKalcwmS_ZW8VSHud_DBHTJGCYhDn3TJm7jM

Back