DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVthinker said:
I checked the charger and it said "available", which I took to mean that his charge was complete.
I'm not 100% sure about trusting the charge station in this regard. It would be a good idea to take some time to learn each plug-in vehicle and how to tell if it is finished charging. The Volt is probably the most difficult because it has only one light and it operates backwards from how most electronics do. If the light is solid, then it is charging. If it is flashing, then it is done. I think we have a list around here somewhere of different vehicle types and how to tell. Or maybe that was on the GM-Volt forum, where I often visit too.

adric22 said:
EVthinker said:
I checked the charger and it said "available", which I took to mean that his charge was complete.
I'm not 100% sure about trusting the charge station in this regard. It would be a good idea to take some time to learn each plug-in vehicle and how to tell if it is finished charging. The Volt is probably the most difficult because it has only one light and it operates backwards from how most electronics do. If the light is solid, then it is done. If it is flashing, then it is charging. I think we have a list around here somewhere of different vehicle types and how to tell. Or maybe that was on the GM-Volt forum, where I often visit too.

You have it backwards - on a Volt, the solid green is charging and blinking green (its a slow blink) is completed.

Plugshare DOES have a way to contact people through the app if they logged into via plugshare. Because of that I have been more regularly utilizing it so if someone needed it (for any reason) they can contact me.

As for the charging stations, all of them have a "charge complete" line somewhere on their display when the cars are finished. That one chargepoint could have said available since its 2 units in one - i.e. one was a level 2 and one is a level 1 - the level 1 was probably available.

Pipcecil said:
You have it backwards - on a Volt, the solid green is charging and blinking green (its a slow blink) is completed.
Hahah.. That's pretty sad being that I own a Volt. No, actually, I knew how it went but somehow my fingers typed it backwards. I just went back and edited my post to prevent confusion. But the point remains, the Volt's system of indicating charge status is really lame compared to everyone else. Although I do applaud them for making it so that all I need to do is open the door to see the state of charge automatically pop up on the screen without needing to turn the car on. I don't think any of the other cars (except maybe a Tesla) does that. But that doesn't help a stranger at a charging station.

adric22 said:
Hahah.. That's pretty sad being that I own a Volt. No, actually, I knew how it went but somehow my fingers typed it backwards. I just went back and edited my post to prevent confusion. But the point remains, the Volt's system of indicating charge status is really lame compared to everyone else. Although I do applaud them for making it so that all I need to do is open the door to see the state of charge automatically pop up on the screen without needing to turn the car on. I don't think any of the other cars (except maybe a Tesla) does that. But that doesn't help a stranger at a charging station.

I figured it was a typo since I know you have one. I almost interrepted it like this (which was accurate) - the volt is different from any other EV which show blinking as charging and steady as finished - i.e. you were referencing the standard button blinking/steady for other EVs instead of describing the Volts. So, with how you wrote it, it technically was correct, but it still could have been confusing to others :D

Also new updates -

Added photo to green lotus spa and retreat (blink)

New station (its a shopping center with the natural grocer near UTD):

Pavillion
ChargePoint – Two Level 2 (J1772)
7517 Campbell Road
Dallas, TX 75248

On an insteresting side note - there is a BMW i3 test vehicle parked at my charging stations at work :eek: !

Its hard to get a full judge of it since the whole back seat has extra tires, and tons of electronic monitoring equipment pluged into various places all inside. But first impressions:

Bigger than I thought - almost the size of a Leaf, it looks like the trunk is smaller, but it was hard to tell with all the equipment and spare tire there.

Styling was neat but subdued - If you here BMW talk about it or see pictures it looks unique, but it was more subdued in the field, it really reminded me of a Nissan Juke without the weird headlights and lower to the ground

Narrow - definetely more narrow than the leaf judging by the parking stripes

Oddly proportioned seats/doors - the front doors were HUGE and the back doors TINY. Based on placement of the seats, the front seats have very ample room - more than the leaf, but the back looked like it would be tight for anyone - and the way the curve of the car works, it looks like getting in and out of the backseats would be a little difficult, just like a nissan juke - the back of the door opening curves up sharply, give less "square" enterance into the car.

Still it was neat to see one! If only I could have ridden in it!

vrwl said:
You should have taken pictures!!

Agreed.. I kept looking for a link to some photos. Was it a REX version? Are they driving one across country or something?

I plan on seeing one at the Dallas Autoshow in February. When I was at the Fort Worth show a few months ago the BMW people said there would be an i3 at the Dallas show. Also the Cadillac people said they'd have an ELR at the Dallas show. So I look forward to seeing both of those in person.

adric22 said:
vrwl said:
You should have taken pictures!!

Agreed.. I kept looking for a link to some photos. Was it a REX version? Are they driving one across country or something?

I plan on seeing one at the Dallas Autoshow in February. When I was at the Fort Worth show a few months ago the BMW people said there would be an i3 at the Dallas show. Also the Cadillac people said they'd have an ELR at the Dallas show. So I look forward to seeing both of those in person.

When is the Dallas Auto Show, do you know the dates?

vrwl said:

February 19-23

See more here:
http://www.dfwautoshow.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Incidentally, I always park at Dallas City Hall, which is right across the street from the convention center. They have two free chargers. So I get free parking and a charge while I'm there. City Hall parking is always deserted on the weekends anyway.

PIC!

IMG_20140124_094148.jpg

The angle makes the car look short, but you can see a bit of leaf next to it and its mostly the same length.

I hope they have it at the auto show, sometimes these companies thinks if the autoshow is in texas it needs trucks and only trucks and we don't always get to see the cool EVs or plug ins.

adric22 said:
vrwl said:

February 19-23

See more here:

Incidentally, I always park at Dallas City Hall, which is right across the street from the convention center. They have two free chargers. So I get free parking and a charge while I'm there. City Hall parking is always deserted on the weekends anyway.

That is great to know! :)

Pipcecil said:
PIC!

The angle makes the car look short, but you can see a bit of leaf next to it and its mostly the same length.

I hope they have it at the auto show, sometimes these companies thinks if the autoshow is in texas it needs trucks and only trucks and we don't always get to see the cool EVs or plug ins.

Great work! :) I'd buy it! (if I had the money)

vrwl said:
adric22 said:
vrwl said:

February 19-23

See more here:

Don't forget: you need a special key fob to use those chargers! I charge there when I go to the Farmer's Market downtown. Look for my earlier posts in this thread...

Stanton said:
vrwl said:
adric22 said:
February 19-23

See more here:

Don't forget: you need a special key fob to use those chargers! I charge there when I go to the Farmer's Market downtown. Look for my earlier posts in this thread...

Oh that's right! Forgot about that, thx for the reminder. Oh well, the train is eco-friendly too. :)

you can call the number on my signature link to get a fob. You can also call it directly at the station and they will unlock and start the charge for you (and then send you a fob if you want).

I like the train though, so I will probably go with that route :D

Pipcecil said:
you can call the number on my signature link to get a fob. You can also call it directly at the station and they will unlock and start the charge for you (and then send you a fob if you want).
After spending 40 minutes on the phone with them a year ago or so trying to get them to turn it on for me, I am glad I have the keyfob. In fact they sent me two of them, one for each of our cars.

The problem was when I called the lady was more than happy to turn it on but she kept asking me who my power provider was. I asked her very clearly, "do you mean MY provider for my house, or who is providing power for this station?" Because, I knew it was TXU for the station. But she insisted on knowing MY energy company, which was different. Eventually she said it was TXU (and I was like, "duh?") and got it turned on.

adric22 said:
Pipcecil said:
After spending 40 minutes on the phone with them a year ago or so trying to get them to turn it on for me, I am glad I have the keyfob. In fact they sent me two of them, one for each of our cars.

Remote turn-on was a complete FAIL for me. Don't say I didn't warn you... :shock:

Stanton said:
Remote turn-on was a complete FAIL for me. Don't say I didn't warn you... :shock:

Yea I wouldn't doubt it since there are only 7 of those stations, the reps probably don't know what to do since most of the units are in the northwest and they forget about the Texas ones. Key fob is the way to go - have 1 for each car.

two more stations this week!

Grubbs Nissan
eVgo – One DC Fast (CHAdeMO)
310 Airport Freeway
Bedford, TX 76022

Old Parkland
ChargePoint – Two Level 2 (J1772)
3953 Maple Avenue
Dallas, TX 75219

Back