Chevrolet Spark EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
... GM will support whatever sells.

... and makes healthy margins. Toyota is making record profits and they are doing that with oil burning cars. They aren't very likely to change when they are making money.

GM has recently let it slip that they are not making money on Volt, and they obviously will never make money on a converted compliance car like the Spark EV, yet there are people who will buy them.

We are a LOOOOOooooong way from the Big Boys starting to voluntarily produce EVs at an expected profit. A very long way.

TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:

... and makes healthy margins. Toyota is making record profits and they are doing that with oil burning cars. They aren't very likely to change when they are making money.

GM has recently let it slip that they are not making money on Volt, and they obviously will never make money on a converted compliance car like the Spark EV, yet there are people who will buy them.

We are a LOOOOOooooong way from the Big Boys starting to voluntarily produce EVs at an expected profit. A very long way.
Recently let it slip? Tony, GM has been saying from Day One that they didn't expect to make money on the 1st gen. Volt, that they regarded it as the buy-in cost of developing the technology (BMW is using the i3 to do the same thing for CFRP). I don't know if Nissan has yet made a profit selling LEAFs - I doubt it. And Tesla has yet to make a profit selling the S. Conversions will sell if they're good cars, but whether _any_ BEV/PHEV, regardless of whether it's a conversion or ground-up development can make a profit at the moment, remains unknown.

GRA said:
TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:

Recently let it slip? Tony, GM has been saying from Day One that they didn't expect to make money on the 1st gen. Volt, that they regarded it as the buy-in cost of developing the technology (BMW is using the i3 to do the same thing for CFRP). I don't know if Nissan has yet made a profit selling LEAFs - I doubt it. And Tesla has yet to make a profit selling the S. Conversions will sell if they're good cars, but whether _any_ BEV/PHEV, regardless of whether it's a conversion or ground-up development can make a profit at the moment, remains unknown.
I don't know or even care about the others(most of those companies will be BK sooner rather than later) , but Tesla would be profitable selling Model S, if it weren't for the fact that they are in rapid growth mode. Growth takes a huge amount of capital. There is no other way around that.

Although it doesn't hurt Tesla a bit selling green credits to the rest of them except Nissan at a rate of $50 mil a year :lol:

Fleet Spark EV sales only in Canada, and no current plan for sales at all for Europe, as reported by:

Chevy Spark EV Electric Car: No Retail Sales In Canada, Europe

It's a frequently asked question: Will the 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV be sold where I live?

(Assuming you don't already live in California or Oregon, where the subcompact electric car has been on sale since June--or South Korea, where it's made.)

General Motors had earlier announced that sales of the Spark EV would expand to Europe, and also to Canada.

Checking in on that promise with Randy Fox of GM Communications, we find the plan has changed...

"We have decided to defer the launch of the Spark EV in Europe," Fox said.

"The market for pure EVs is still in its infancy and volumes are rather low," he continued.

"We will carefully observe how the market develops over time, and react accordingly."

And there you have it: Consumers in Canada and Europe will not be able to buy a Chevrolet Spark EV...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1087919_chevy-spark-ev-electric-car-no-retail-sales-in-canada-europe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I understand the Europe part, but based on GM's statement, how does the reporter conclude that the Spark will not be available to consumers in Canada?

Chevy dealers are telling customers here that they will be able to test drive the Spark in December and then order the vehicle if desired.

Chevy Spark EV Priced at $29,995 in Canada; GM Confirms Public Sales Will Start in 2014 – No Longer to be Fleet-Only:
http://insideevs.com/chevy-spark-ev-priced-at-29995-in-canada-gm-confirms-public-sales-will-start-in-2014-no-longer-to-be-fleet-only/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Considering how small Leaf sales are in Canada (IIRC), I'm not sure I'd expect Spark EV sales there to exactly catch the world on fire either.

cwerdna said:
Chevy Spark EV Priced at $29,995 in Canada; GM Confirms Public Sales Will Start in 2014 – No Longer to be Fleet-Only:
http://insideevs.com/chevy-spark-ev-priced-at-29995-in-canada-gm-confirms-public-sales-will-start-in-2014-no-longer-to-be-fleet-only/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Considering how small Leaf sales are in Canada (IIRC), I'm not sure I'd expect Spark EV sales there to exactly catch the world on fire either.
OTOH, it's got a TMS and better range to start with, both definite pluses in the Great White North when the temp drops.

As long as the heater works. Mine has been awol for a few times and I cannot catch it to bring it to the dealer to pull the code b/c family uses it and there is never the right time to bring it in. (We'll just drive with the seat heaters, blah, blah.)

Murphy's law kicks in every time I want it NOT to work and take it in. (The broken appliance works perfectly for the repairman.) It's maddening. Same goes for AC. It failed twice already and then it kicks in like nothing ever happened.

ILETRIC said:
As long as the heater works. Mine has been awol for a few times and I cannot catch it to bring it to the dealer to pull the code b/c family uses it and there is never the right time to bring it in. (We'll just drive with the seat heaters, blah, blah.)

Murphy's law kicks in every time I want it NOT to work and take it in. (The broken appliance works perfectly for the repairman.) It's maddening. Same goes for AC. It failed twice already and then it kicks in like nothing ever happened.
The question then being which is the more critical CND, an HVAC system or a PDM failure to charge? :x

cwerdna said:

Just as an update, one of our writers (Surdas Mohit) wrote this piece, after getting the information from AVEQ (which loosely translates to the EV Association of Quebec). Before then there was no public mention of the price or that it would be available publically.

Unfortunately the organization got some facts wrong. Price is right, public availability is not.

I talked with George Saratlic, who is Product Communications Manager at GM Canada and he told us that source had reported that info inaccurately and he was in touch with them to chage their faq. Here is Mr. Saratilc's official statement on the Spark EV in Canada (as at Nov. 7th, 2013) to us

“The 2014 Spark EV is available in Canada ONLY as a Fleet vehicle. There are no current plans for retail customer sales.”

...so not so much for Canadians still

Statik said:
cwerdna said:

Just as an update, one of our writers (Surdas Mohit) wrote this piece, after getting the information from AVEQ (which loosely translates to the EV Association of Quebec). Before then there was no public mention of the price or that it would be available publically.

Unfortunately the organization got some facts wrong. Price is right, public availability is not.

I talked with George Saratlic, who is Product Communications Manager at GM Canada and he told us that source had reported that info inaccurately and he was in touch with them to chage their faq. Here is Mr. Saratilc's official statement on the Spark EV in Canada (as at Nov. 7th, 2013) to us

“The 2014 Spark EV is available in Canada ONLY as a Fleet vehicle. There are no current plans for retail customer sales.”

...so not so much for Canadians still
Ah well. More for the U.S., then.

cwerdna said:

LEAF sales are small in Canada because Nissan under-supplies the market. There are people here who signed contracts and left deposits in July for MY13s, but are still waiting.

With a minimum of effort, Chevy could sell a lot of Sparks in Canada. However, there's no Canadian CARB-ZEV regulation to prevent Chevy from ignoring Canada.

Spark EVs equipped with CCS are starting to trickle into dealers. I don't know that any have arrived yet, but several people have found them showing 'in transit' status at different dealer's websites, so should be soon.

Been a while for any news re the Spark. Via GCR:
2015 Chevrolet Spark EV To Go On Sale In Maryland This Spring
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1096434_2015-chevrolet-spark-ev-to-go-on-sale-in-maryland-this-spring" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For "Maryland" read D.C. commuters.

GRA said:
Been a while for any news re the Spark. Via GCR:
2015 Chevrolet Spark EV To Go On Sale In Maryland This Spring
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1096434_2015-chevrolet-spark-ev-to-go-on-sale-in-maryland-this-spring" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For "Maryland" read D.C. commuters.

Another CARB-ZEV state. We just need to make more states CARB-ZEV!!!

Via ievs:
GM Lowers Price Of Chevrolet Spark EV To $25,995, Leases From $139 Month
http://insideevs.com/gm-lowers-price-of-chevrolet-spark-ev-to-25995-leases-from-139-month/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some fine print:
California and Maryland Spark EV owners may also qualify for a $2,500 California state rebate or $2,300 Maryland excise tax exemption. Additional Chevrolet bonus cash is also available: $1,000 in California, $1,200 in Maryland, and $3,500 in Oregon. After full federal and state tax credits and Chevrolet bonus cash, the Spark EV could be as low as $14,995.
Now if they'd only spend some money advertising them. This moves the iMiEV's U.S. market even closer to non-existent, if that's even possible.

GRA said:
Now if they'd only spend some money advertising them.
I think GM is selling exactly as many of these as they want. If they wanted to sell more, they would just expand to more states. I'm assuming the Spark is/was a test bed for upcoming Bolt tech.

Back