How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telematics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruradium said:
I tested, there is about 6.2 volt between the power lines, I assumed it is. (I hook the power lines of the camera to pin 39, 59)
I'm at a loss then. If you have power and it's going into reverse mode when you shift into reverse then it should work.

jelloslug said:
ruradium said:
I tested, there is about 6.2 volt between the power lines, I assumed it is. (I hook the power lines of the camera to pin 39, 59)
I'm at a loss then. If you have power and it's going into reverse mode when you shift into reverse then it should work.

Finally, I gave up the OEM camera and get the third-party camera work following the steps as Radius88 suggested.
But now I have my airbag light flashing, tried the reset trick, but no luck.

jelloslug said:
ruradium said:

hi, jelloslug, do you know where I can find the leaf service manual?
I would like to see if it is possible to fix the flashing airbag light myself. It currently throw out an error code "12".

ruradium said:
jelloslug said:
ruradium said:

hi, jelloslug, do you know where I can find the leaf service manual?
I would like to see if it is possible to fix the flashing airbag light myself. It currently throw out an error code "12".
I sent you a PM

jelloslug said:
ruradium said:
******all of the above was for getting ready to install an oem camera.....

Okay so I ordered a OEM camera two listed I picked the one that said it works with the SL
I assume that both would work with probably just different connectors ???
I got it the other day and there are four wires in an eight position connector (the other positions are blank)
Black
red
White
Yellow

Any idea on what goes to what ? (power input, signal out etc....)
Also can some one confirm that the camera only use 6.2volts for input power ?

I tired connecting it up but can't get an image on the Nav unit, keep in Mind I CAN get an image on the nav unit using a non OEM camera ! ***this is driving me nuts*****
either I got a bad OEM camera or I broke it trying to connect it up...... OR I am not connecting up the right pins to the right thing

I have two wires running all the way to the nav unit pins (40 camera input video) and 60 camera shield for video
If I connect my non oem camera to those wires I get a picture just fine
if I connect the oem camera I get nothing but black, I think I have tired all different combinations

Any body out there done this on a 2013 SL without the Premium package ?
ANy help would be great ..........

Hi, Skyffej
Did you solve this problem? I cannot make the OEM camera work either.
Is the camera getting power?

The connectrs in the back do not go anywhere - ie if you plug on oem camera it looks like it's prewired
- it isn't

I had no problem wiring in audivox on my sl but I had to run video cable to head unit from back

Okay so I ordered a OEM camera two listed I picked the one that said it works with the SL
I assume that both would work with probably just different connectors ???
I got it the other day and there are four wires in an eight position connector (the other positions are blank)
Black
red
White
Yellow

Any idea on what goes to what ? (power input, signal out etc....)
Also can some one confirm that the camera only use 6.2volts for input power ?

I tired connecting it up but can't get an image on the Nav unit, keep in Mind I CAN get an image on the nav unit using a non OEM camera ! ***this is driving me nuts*****
either I got a bad OEM camera or I broke it trying to connect it up...... OR I am not connecting up the right pins to the right thing

I have two wires running all the way to the nav unit pins (40 camera input video) and 60 camera shield for video
If I connect my non oem camera to those wires I get a picture just fine
if I connect the oem camera I get nothing but black, I think I have tired all different combinations

Any body out there done this on a 2013 SL without the Premium package ?
ANy help would be great ..........[/quote]

Hi, Skyffej
Did you solve this problem? I cannot make the OEM camera work either.[/quote]
Is the camera getting power?[/quote]

The connectrs in the back do not go anywhere - ie if you plug on oem camera it looks like it's prewired
- it isn't

I had no problem wiring in audivox on my sl but I had to run video cable to head unit from back[/quote]

Any verdict on 2013 SV ? Nav/no Bose.

goaliepride said:
I would love it if the next person to attempt this on a 2013 SV could post their step by step with pictures.

I dont think anyone with a 2013 leaf SV has been able to get their to work.

I've been lurking on this thread and the one about adding the camera to the S. I'm going to get a copy of the service manual and see if I can pull it off on my 2013 SV. Might take a while though, I've got two young children + lots of projects already. I might have results to talk about early next year.

Ok guys, I know it has been a while since I was here. So I thought that I would just chime in.

First, I need to go back and edit my original post. This write-up is only to be applied to all 2011-2012 Leafs. It, for the most part, is slightly different to that of the 2013+ models. I have successfully added an Audiovox camera like the one I used in my write-up in over 5 2011-2012 Leafs with no problem.

Second, I did successfully a rear view camera using all of the OEM equipment to an 2013 SL model that did not have any rear view camera or all around view. I used the parts list from that one post that someone did with the OEM part numbers. I did NOT need the actual rear hatch harness because that SL already had the 4 camera wires and connector at the hatch where the camera would plug in to. The very first time I put the car into reverse, it worked like a charm.

Third, on the same car above, I tried to wire in an after-market Audiovox camera, the same one I used on my write-up. I hard-wired the camera to the connector at the left rear C-pillar. I could NOT get the camera to give me an image on the display. I even tried a second camera with no luck. But the second I connected the OEM camera back up, it worked. I do not know if there is something behind this or not, but nonetheless, it did not work until the OEM was hooked back up.

I am trying to get my sales team at the dealership to try to let me add an OEM camera set-up to an SV model, at their cost. The moment I do and have results, I will post here for sure. I think, at this moment, the best option to adding a rear view camera to any Leaf would be to go the OEM route. The parts alone cost me about $240, which includes the camera, hatch handle, and all wiring. I think that this is the route to go for ease of install and OEM look.

As soon as I have an answer, I will post up here.

What are the part numbers for the oem camera and needed parts?
Camera: 28442-3NH0A?
Outside handle 90606-3NF7B?
Wire harness: ???

Thanks.

39-- Red (camera V+)
40-- Red (camera signal +)
58-- Black (reverse enable ground)
59-- White (camera V-)
60-- Shield (camera signal -)
Do you know which wire is which from the camera ? I`ve got 4 wires from camera P/N 28442-3NH0A, red, black, yellow, white, I don`t know how to hook them up.

Succeeded today on a '13 SL (No premium package) installing an aftermarket DVR that has an analog video output that I used for the NAV reverse camera.

The camera discussion that got me looking at this DVR is here. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15151

The wiring was all PRESENT in the rear quarter panel. There are 5 wires on the body harness that are not extended through the tailgate harness. Four are in a square arrangement, and the 5th next to the square. The 4 in a square are Red and white (camera power), and black + Black (video signal). The black wire beside the square is the video trigger for the NAV to backup (ground it). If you get the video signal polarity backwards, it won't give a picture on the NAV. Tried it both ways, and used an old VCR for test video so as not to risk damage to the new camera.

This picture shows the black and black video signal wires I used in the body harness side behind the right rear quarter panel.
The red and white wires are right below it in the square arrangement. They are factory camera power, unused for my aftermarket DVR camera.

7w53.jpg

The DVR I installed in the back window.

4g58.jpg

5oe6.jpg

jmeitz said:
goaliepride said:
I would love it if the next person to attempt this on a 2013 SV could post their step by step with pictures.

Just following up to see if anyone has got this to work on a 2013 SV with OEM parts?

jelloslug said:
RePo said:
Compdoc777 said:
then hooked wires in the c pillar in the back on the drivers side which already has wiring into the nav unit.

Do you have the map for the wires in the C Pillar so I don't have to pull out the Nav just to probe for them? Bet I still have to ground the camera trigger, since that is most certainly not extended to the C Pillar harness.
Pull the cover off and look at the larger white connector:

c%20piller%20cover%20removed.JPG

There should be 5 more wires coming up from the body than wires exiting the connector going to the hatch. Pin 11 in that connector should have a black wire in it on the lower side and nothing on the upper side. Grounding that pin should let the AV control unit go into camera mode when you shift to reverse. Everything should be there and if you buy the proper harnesses and camera parts for an "S" trim car with the backup camera it should be almost plug and play.

Commenting to save for a reference. Thanks

4n7h0ny said:
jmeitz said:
goaliepride said:

Just following up to see if anyone has got this to work on a 2013 SV with OEM parts?

Thought I'd comment that I did the backup camera installation with OEM parts on my 2013 SV with a few differences.

My Leaf body harness between the front and rear of the car did not have camera wires. I added a video cable plus 3 wires for camera power and control. I spliced the wires at B18(back quarter) and M21(front drivers kick panel). The OEM cables in the hatch now comlpeted the video and control connections.

The only other variation from the well documented installation was that I drilled a hole in the sheetmetal for the OEM camera using the large gromet included with the camera. :D

Just following up to see if anyone has got this to work on a 2013 SV with OEM parts?[/quote]

Thought I'd comment that I did the backup camera installation with OEM parts on my 2013 SV with a few differences.

My Leaf body harness between the front and rear of the car did not have camera wires. I added a video cable plus 3 wires for camera power and control. I spliced the wires at B18(back quarter) and M21(front drivers kick panel). The OEM cables in the hatch now comlpeted the video and control connections.

The only other variation from the well documented installation was that I drilled a hole in the sheetmetal for the OEM camera using the large gromet included with the camera. :D[/quote]

So you had to run the wiring from the camera all the way to the navigation unit?

I was really hoping I could just hook the camera up to the rear corner panel.

Has anyone with a 2013 SV able to connect the camera to the harness in the rear corner panel?

4n7h0ny said:

The only other variation from the well documented installation was that I drilled a hole in the sheetmetal for the OEM camera using the large gromet included with the camera. :D[/quote]

So you had to run the wiring from the camera all the way to the navigation unit?

I was really hoping I could just hook the camera up to the rear corner panel.

Has anyone with a 2013 SV able to connect the camera to the harness in the rear corner panel?[/quote]

I did not have to go all the way to the navigation unit (thankfully) but only removed the drivers side kickpanel where the connector pair M21 and B3 can be found.
These connectors carry the camera sense, video and shield on pins 7,8 and 9 respectively. Pins 24 and 25 carry +6V and return power for the camera. B3 connects to B18 at the back of the car so if you find that B3 has wires on the above pins (7,8,9, etc) you will probably not need to run the long cable as was my case. M21 carries the wires connecting to the nav unit.
Another point to consider is that removing the kickpanel is considerably easier than doing the dashboard navagation unit removal.

Hope this explanation is more helpful than confusing. It took me a while to get this right but it was worth the effort.

Weisea said:
I did not have to go all the way to the navigation unit (thankfully) but only removed the drivers side kickpanel where the connector pair M21 and B3 can be found.
These connectors carry the camera sense, video and shield on pins 7,8 and 9 respectively. Pins 24 and 25 carry +6V and return power for the camera. B3 connects to B18 at the back of the car so if you find that B3 has wires on the above pins (7,8,9, etc) you will probably not need to run the long cable as was my case. M21 carries the wires connecting to the nav unit.
Another point to consider is that removing the kickpanel is considerably easier than doing the dashboard navagation unit removal.

I'll say again, thanks to all for this great info.

I have a 2013 SV, it is all disassembled and I am SO CLOSE... I'm using the OEM parts plan and then running a jumper wire from the back C panel to the M21 connector. (However I've modified that for now by running the jumper all the way into the hatch.)

I have the new wiring harness installed on the back hatch, and have the camera attached to it. (still have to install the new handle)

However, I have a few additional questions.

1) How the heck did anyone get the NEW OEM wiring harness through the back hatch? Did everyone take off the white end connectors, or just pull - really hard?

2) Does anyone have a picture of M21 or a link to one? When I pull off the kick panel, it is not obvious which one is it. The one I thought it was doesn't seem to have any missing wires like the back C panel connector does...

3) When I find M21, How do I know which pins are 7,8 and 9? (and 24 & 25...)

Again, thanks!

gilbe027 said:
Weisea said:

I'll say again, thanks to all for this great info.

I have a 2013 SV, it is all disassembled and I am SO CLOSE... I'm using the OEM parts plan and then running a jumper wire from the back C panel to the M21 connector. (However I've modified that for now by running the jumper all the way into the hatch.)

I have the new wiring harness installed on the back hatch, and have the camera attached to it. (still have to install the new handle)

However, I have a few additional questions.

1) How the heck did anyone get the NEW OEM wiring harness through the back hatch? Did everyone take off the white end connectors, or just pull - really hard?

2) Does anyone have a picture of M21 or a link to one? When I pull off the kick panel, it is not obvious which one is it. The one I thought it was doesn't seem to have any missing wires like the back C panel connector does...

3) When I find M21, How do I know which pins are 7,8 and 9? (and 24 & 25...)

Again, thanks!

I copied the connector pinout for B3 and M21 to the link below unfortunately I did not take a picture of the connectors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xg4lo6cq1pc1y8k/M21%20B3%20Pic.docx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps some.

First of all, thanks to Weisea for the above doc and synopsis of his SV install, and to jelloslug and Ramius83 for tons of info throughout these camera threads!

I have a 2013 SV w/ no camera options and will soon be attempting the backup cam install myself with just the OEM camera and hatch handle housing. Based on what I've read so far (here and elsewhere), it is HIGHLY unlikely that the SV has continuity for the basic (non-around-view) backup cam going from the C-pillar junction to the B3/M21 junction behind the DS kickplate, so based on this assumption I have come up with what I *think* will be the most straight forward approach to this install. Note that I have decided to completely forgo the factory harnesses, both to save money and to eliminate complexity. Please feel free to critique these steps at any point to save myself and others unneeded trouble!

1. Start at M21 and wire pin 7 to nearest ground (either by adding pin for connection through B3, or splicing behind M21). This saves the trouble of going to the head unit and from running the sense/ground all the way to the C-pillar. The guidelines should come up when in reverse at this point (as long as M21 has a wire from pin 7 to the head unit of course).

2. Remove appropriate trim pieces along entire path from DS kickplate to rear hatch handle (some of this could possibly be wire-fished, eliminating the need to remove ALL trim along path; I'll certainly try).

3. Remove old hatch handle housing, install camera in new hatch handle, drill hole through lift gate for camera grommet, install new hatch handle housing and camera.

4. Splice black and yellow wires from camera to long video cable and splice red and white wires to long wire pair for carrying power (possibly thread this group through some kind of wire housing to prevent vibration wear).

5. Route wire group from step 4 along existing hatch, C-pillar, and floor trim harnesses (zip tying where necessary) all the way to DS kickplate.

6. Splice appropriate wires to pins 8/9 and 24/25 at B3/M21 junction (either by adding pins for connection through B3, or splicing behind M21).

7. Test, and reinstall trim.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems like A LOT of work to remove/replace the OEM C-pillar and hatch harnesses when the floor trim harness is not wired for camera anyway. I guess you could purchase the floor trim harness as well, but again for more work/money. I will also certainly verify that my existing harnesses are indeed missing the camera wires before I do anything, but at this point I'd bet on them not being present. I'm just now ordering parts, so I'll post how well this goes when I'm done.

Also, jelloslug provided this pinout from camera:

1-----Red (camera V+)
2-----White (camera V-)
3-----Black (camera signal +)
4-----Shield (camera signal -)

Has this now been verified? Seems the person who posted the question about camera module wiring never got theirs to work correctly, so thanks in advance for any further info.

Also, also: link to service manual, anyone? :)

Back