Work with Disney to make Autopia a proper Tomorrowland ride.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading this post a while back, I decided to try out Autopia the next time I was at Disneyland, which was yesterday. I can see what other posters were complaining about, regarding the exhaust. On a bright note, there was a sign that says Disney is currently researching the use of hydrogen to replace gasoline in the Autopia ride. The sign was cleverly placed right over the where the exhaust fumes are their worst, on the bridge over where the riders board and exit the ride. I'm not sure if that's just lip service, or if they're seriously contemplating it. If they decide to keep the Autopia ride open, hopefully they will use the opportunity to convert over to some alternative fuel to help carry on the original vision of Tomorrowland. The ride in its current state belongs in Frontierland.

Sounds like the go-karts we have/had at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City, Missouri (never been to Disneyland). I worked there a couple seasons in the late '70s when I was 15-17 in Ride Operations (you could work extra shifts anywhere in your department, eventually working all rides). We had 2 kinds of go-kart rides: LeTaxiTour (in the Europa section):

http://www.worldsoffun.org/explore/Rides.asp?ID=2&ParkID=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the Safari cars (in the Africa section):
http://www.worldsoffun.org/explore/Rides.asp?ID=98&ParkID=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My ears would ring long after I was off work. I could never rid my mind of the constant combustible engine noise; I'd hear it even in my sleep (shudder :( ). An electric ride would be so much better.

mikeEmike said:
After reading this post a while back, I decided to try out Autopia the next time I was at Disneyland, which was yesterday. I can see what other posters were complaining about, regarding the exhaust. On a bright note, there was a sign that says Disney is currently researching the use of hydrogen to replace gasoline in the Autopia ride. The sign was cleverly placed right over the where the exhaust fumes are their worst, on the bridge over where the riders board and exit the ride. I'm not sure if that's just lip service, or if they're seriously contemplating it. If they decide to keep the Autopia ride open, hopefully they will use the opportunity to convert over to some alternative fuel to help carry on the original vision of Tomorrowland. The ride in its current state belongs in Frontierland.
Hydrogen is, as many know here, problematic on many levels. If they wanted more now, why not CNG? And I really think electric would totally work better than lawnmower engines... BTW, thanks for the firsthand report.

Seems the disney insurance folks might pause at the thought that highly pressurized vessels full of explosive material. More likely, little battery powered cars silently gliding around on the roadway.

jsongster said:
Seems the disney insurance folks might pause at the thought that highly pressurized vessels full of explosive material. More likely, little battery powered cars silently gliding around on the roadway.
I am with you on the electric, but really, gasoline is pretty darn dangerous too. BTW, Disney is self insured, and owns the judges in Orange County as evidenced that almost everybody settles rather than risk a day in court (so I am told by my highly competent personal attorney).

Come on Renault/Nissan... maybe add in Mitsubishi... sponsor Autopia... use the electric cars from Tokyo... mod them with anticollision HW and SW... make it amusing simulate bumping on ride with the brakes... without ever letting the cars actually touch.

What a great way to promote Electric Vehicles. Tomorrowland, 15 minutes in the future... like Max Headroom.

Back