Spare Tire Mod

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ttime4four said:
I would probably use the void in the wheel to stow the jack (with some type of padding/organizer) to keep it from rattling, etc. I suspect there is already a pre-formed item out there that would fit (find in junk yards along with the wheel/jack).

Great Idea!

jack_spare_insert.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-OEM-Spare-Wheel-Foam-Insert-with-Jack-Wrench-for-S80-2007-2012-/350860453212?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51b0e9a55c&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That unit isn't Leaf-compatible, according to the Ebay parts comparitor. I'm still wondering: is the rubber plug in the Leaf's floor robust enough to reinsert and still seal?

Lasareath said:
Still seal what?

LeftieBiker said:
I'm still wondering: is the rubber plug in the Leaf's floor robust enough to reinsert and still seal?

Those plugs are supposed to keep rainwater from coming up. I suppose the rear diffuser obviates that function, but I don't want it falling to pieces when I try to replace it.

I'm pretty sure that large flat square washer will keep the rain water out.

The air diffuser does not keep the water out.

You could add some Silicone Caulk between those washers and the car.

LeftieBiker said:
Lasareath said:
Still seal what?

LeftieBiker said:
I'm still wondering: is the rubber plug in the Leaf's floor robust enough to reinsert and still seal?

Those plugs are supposed to keep rainwater from coming up. I suppose the rear diffuser obviates that function, but I don't want it falling to pieces when I try to replace it.

So where do I acquire those large, square washers? (They are actually plates, not washers, IMO.)

No idea. ask the OP

LeftieBiker said:

So where do I acquire those large, square washers? (They are actually plates, not washers, IMO.)

Lasareath said:
No idea. ask the OP

LeftieBiker said:

I had assumed they were home-made, so didn't plan on using them. I can really do without the passive-aggressive crap.

Don't like the passive-aggressive crap?, then don't give me your own in the first place.

I didn't appreciate your tone in telling me that they are plates.

LeftieBiker said:
(They are actually plates, not washers, IMO.)

I can really do without the passive-aggressive crap.

I removed mine and re-inserted it. It's not fragile at all. It's pretty sturdy. If you look at it you can't tell it was removed.

DJ Jazzy, This is why I had to mount my spare under the trunk floor:

my_leaf_trunk.jpg

my_leaf_trunk!.jpg

djjazzy said:
@Lasareath

I saw your spare tire mod before I did mine. Thought about mounting the tire under there, but didn't want to cut into the air diffuser, and get nearly under the car to lower the hinged panel and tire when needed. For me, the false cargo floor was the easiest to build, and if ever the spare tire is needed, it's a quick and painless way to get to the spare tire. Just lift out the false cargo floor, and the tire is right there. But your mount is a great idea, especially since no trunk space is lost. Seldom do I have a lot of cargo where I'd need that lost trunk space. I'm easily able to lower the seats, and get my bike in the Leaf without issues, in fact it's now easier to get my bike in the car, since the cargo area is raised up about 6 inches. Now I never have to leave home without a spare.

djjazzy said:
Nice job! Looks just like my cargo floor now. :lol: You got the spare tire under that floor?

Spare, Jack, folding lug wrench, a few odds and ends. I think I have what I need to anchor the Altima spare, but it's too cold for me to work outside at the moment.

Received my Altima donut and did not have to remove the spoiler to mount the bolt; there is a tie-down bracket under the back right hand side with enough clearance in the bottom pan so that you can snake a wire through the opening, attach the bolt/washer to the snake and pull it through the hole. Once through, hold the bolt and secure it with a nut and washer. I siliconed through the hole to the washer (2") to make it waterproof - simple.

FYI tire-go to any auto wrecking place and pick up spare tire for about 30$ there are plenty of them)and the jack I got it will fit inside original Leaf tool kit compartment.Thank you.

Back