redesign the shifter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CeeDub said:
z0ner said:
Are you bored? You already have seven posts on a forum for a car you don't have and don't ever plan on getting. Shouldn't you be on the Versa forum (assuming they even exist)?

I still may get one, my versa got totalled in a crash, now i'm considering getting a Leaf for myself, not my wife. Make more sense now? Bored? I'm not taking taking the time to count my posts..... I'm a lil suprised at the lack of common decent communication skills on here from some Leaf people...

Unless your Versa got totalled between 12:21pm and now, you said you would only "get one" if the shifter got a redesign for MY2014. It won't happen, so your answer is clear. If familiarity with GAS cars is more your thing, then sure - get the FitEV, Fiat 500e, or RAV4EV.

As far as decent communication skills, maybe you should be more clear in your ramblings. First you said Nissan would lose your business if they didn't redesign the shifter, then when you got called out on this silliness you made your wife the potential victim, now you say you're still considering one, and the saga goes on... You're posts are seemingly trollish, and you've praised the FitEV over the LEAF twice now :?:

johnrhansen said:
It took me a minute to keep from getting mixed up with fwd and rev. It's opposite as to what I would intuitively think. But I got used to it.

Didn't bother me. I've usually had manual transmission cars, and the position of reverse is sometimes forward, sometimes back so I had no intuition to violate. :)

johnrhansen said:
I've usually had manual transmission cars, and the position of reverse is sometimes forward, sometimes back so I had no intuition to violate. :)

Agreed, though I think it would be nice (better?) if one could tell forward from reverse by feel or position of a lever, without having to look at the dash.

If the car moves to the back, it is in reverse. If it moves to the front, it is in forward. Simple! :lol:

ObiQuiet said:
johnrhansen said:
I've usually had manual transmission cars, and the position of reverse is sometimes forward, sometimes back so I had no intuition to violate. :)
Agreed, though I think it would be nice (better?) if one could tell forward from reverse by feel or position of a lever, without having to look at the dash.

I have mine figured out.. adjusting to it was just a minor pothole in the road of life. Still It should have been the other way if you ask me.

ObiQuiet said:
johnrhansen said:

yes! bingo!

Redesign the shifter indeed. I do like the look and the function is simple but I think it's a waste of space. The shift functions could be better served by buttons on the dash leaving the console area (already quite tight on space) free for real cup holders, coin holders, deeper under armrest storage etcetera,.
CeeDub said:
I think the leaf would be better served with a more regular shift pattern on the shifter. Just use the same "computer mouse" shifter and make it slide back and forth with the usual P R N D pattern with the B mode added after D. The side action seems totally unnecessary. Simple change that should cost Nissan almost nothing. I think it would appeal to a broader buyer base rather than just the early adopters and teck-savy buyers.

EVDRIVER said:
I think you are in an extreme minority on this topic. Once of the issues with the LEAF is it is too much like a ICE car, sadly. If this kept you from buying the car then an EV is not for you, likely many consumer electronics as well.
Agreed... interesting that the OP has decided to wipe out most of his posts.

Nothing wrong w/the shifter. Leave it the way it is.

The problem with the shifter is that it is taking up space. We'll see how BMW i3's shifter is received.

Otherwise I like that shifter - so does our toddler ;)

The shifter is the one thing on my LEAF that I hate. I hate that you push it FORWARD to go BACKWARD.
And I hate that you pull it BACKWARD to go FORWARD. What's up with that anyway? I don't drive the LEAF every day (because my husband has a more predictable schedule than I do, so he drives it regularly) but after three months of driving it 3-4 times a week I still do it backward.
I want to put it forward to go forward. How does that not make sense?

AlaskaLEAF said:
The shifter is the one thing on my LEAF that I hate. I hate that you push it FORWARD to go BACKWARD.
And I hate that you pull it BACKWARD to go FORWARD. What's up with that anyway? I don't drive the LEAF every day (because my husband has a more predictable schedule than I do, so he drives it regularly) but after three months of driving it 3-4 times a week I still do it backward.

Because of the hundreds of millions of other cars on the road that shift:

P
R
N
D

Nubo said:
AlaskaLEAF said:

P
R
N
D

Also because it was designed to be like the Prius shifter. Why? Before the lease offers started this Spring, 90% of Leaf owners either drove or used to drive a Prius.

Nubo said:
AlaskaLEAF said:

P
R
N
D

Ohhhh. I've never had an automatic before....my other cars are all manual shift. I guess that makes sense, but I still do it backward. Probably I'll learn eventually...

Ohhhh. I've never had an automatic before....my other cars are all manual shift. I guess that makes sense, but I still do it backward. Probably I'll learn eventually...

Reverse isn't always in the same location on manual shift cars. Sometimes it's forward from Neutral, sometimes backwards.

[ Reverse isn't always in the same location on manual shift cars. Sometimes it's forward from Neutral, sometimes backwards.[/quote]

the only cars where reverse was not backwards was VW from the 1980s, every other car out there practically has reverse backwards..... especially Japanese cars. It just makes sense, push it forward, go forward. Human nature.

Nubo said:
AlaskaLEAF said:

P
R
N
D

The perfect reason to do the Leaf shifter the same way..... to make people feel familiar with the car even tho it is an "alternative" car.

Back