100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mkjayakumar said:
Mr. 65 needs some special mention because he did this with the wife in tow.. now that is a feat I will never attempt for an 100 mile journey in the Leaf.

You'll note that we have no women Club Members! Wonder why?

Mr. 65, certainly you can bring your wife as a guest to the clubhouse, however she may only sit in the public areas, and never in the secret chamber. Only somebody crazy enough to purposely drive a LEAF over 100 miles gets to go there.

Please be sure to offer your wife a Cuban cigar or some cognac when she visits. The Rémy Martin is a favorite.

joewaters said:
Three weeks into ownership and I can claim two trips of 100 miles or more.

From the entire Board and its members, welcome to the 100 Mile Club, Mr. 66. This moniker has been reserved and endeared to you on this special occasion, and it is our sincere wish that you shall always wear your number proudly on your club jacket.

There have been some complaints of the toilets backing up, so please leave a note for the staff if you see a problem.

Welcome aboard,

Tony Williams
100 Mile Club Member Emeritus

1 week into Leaf ownership, and I hit 101 miles on one charge! (I guess it's like the 4-minute mile; once you know it can be done, it's easy!)

Most of the driving was from my 26-mile commute back and forth to work on mostly rural roads, but the last leg was made even more stressful and fun - it was a 28 mile jaunt with my wife, daughter, and her two friends on board! (Yep 3 teenage girls in the back seat convinced they were going to have to push us home!)

We actually arrived at home with about 96 miles, so I let out the happy passengers and drove around town for a few bonus miles... Finished at 5.0 miles per kWh according to the dash and carwings...

Do I get a badge or sticker Mr Tony?

Love this car!

martyv said:
1 week into Leaf ownership, and I hit 101 miles on one charge!
...Do I get a badge or sticker Mr Tony?
Love this car!

5 miles/kWh multiplied by 21kWh useable very nicely works out to 105 miles range, so you've broke the code. Some guys have made stickers, so knock yourself out!

As one of the most senior Club members, I do hereby grant you the title of Mr. 67. Only 33 spots remain in the Club, so you were wise to jump in while openings exist.

We all look forward to your first visit with the whole family, however it may be difficult to find non-alcoholic drinks on the premises. The Club gate code will be forwarded directly to your navigation screen.

Welcome aboard,

Tony Williams

It took me only 2 weeks to brave the 100-Mile Club, but I did it over this weekend in 3 days of not plugging in overnight. This morning, a holiday in Ontario, Canada, I headed out with 19 miles of range left and 83 miles into my 100-mile objective. So, my objective appeared to be within sight. I did a couple of errands and then with 8 miles of range left and 8 miles from home, and having reached my objective of 102 miles, I headed home. I arrived home with 4 miles of range left, so I started driving around our neighborhood until suddenly the 4 miles went to Zero and the display showed <- - ->. I was about 1 mile from home.

Please note: The car did NOT disintegrate. The LEAF did NOT stop. It did what I was quite confident that it would do. It kept going quite nicely.

I turned around and headed home again. I gave the accelerator a couple of bursts just to see how much torque I could muster. It seemed like a bit less than normal but still totally adequate for driving in traffic. I still went around another block until I finally drove into our driveway with a total of 114 miles, zero range and between 1 and 2 miles of driving on "empty".

I'll have to go and get a coulomb of electrons in a can so that I'll feel better about driving until I can't drive any further and really see what "buffer" we have after hitting zero range. Hey, I'm an electrical engineer ... I'm curious ... R & D is my middle name!

So, now what happens? Fireworks? A gold key to the 100-Mile Clubhouse?

~ Erik
http://www.TorontoHybrid.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog: http://KlnAir4U.MyEVBlog.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KlnAir4U said:
I did a couple of errands and then with 8 miles of range left and 8 miles from home, and having reached my objective of 102 miles, I headed home. I arrived home with 4 miles of range left, so I started driving around our neighborhood until suddenly the 4 miles went to Zero and the display showed <- - ->. I was about 1 mile from home.
<snip>
I turned around and headed home again. I gave the accelerator a couple of bursts just to see how much torque I could muster. It seemed like a bit less than normal but still totally adequate for driving in traffic. I still went around another block until I finally drove into our driveway with a total of 114 miles, zero range and between 1 and 2 miles of driving on "empty".
Which model do you have? I'm guessing the S, because it is less in your face about Low Battery and Very Low Battery warnings. But even with the S when you hit LBW there should have been a yellow light in the dash "eyebrow", a beep and a message that popped up in the bottom middle of your dash, and the "distance to empty" gauge (that we call the GOM) should have started flashing. The SV and SL (at least for 2011/2012, and I assume 2013) also have a popup on the central console and a sweet-voiced lady telling you your battery is low.

The big difference comes at VLBW, which is a big production for the SV and SL. The console switches to a navigation screen showing range and charging stations, there's a popup asking yes/no do you want to search for a charging station, and the woman's voice sounds a bit more insistent. Meanwhile, over on the dash the GOM switches to three dashes. I assume that is also the VLBW signal for the S, but I'm not sure. There is a point where the GOM switches to three dashes, and another point a mile or two later where the SOC gauge (new for 2013, and optionally displayed in the middle of the dash) switches to three dashes, but no other audible or visual signals that I can remember noticing at either of those two times.

Even after all this you are still not close to "Turtle", which is when you would see a precipitous loss of motor torque. That is announced by a red turtle icon on the dash (and probably other things, but I've only been there once and don't remember). Tony estimates that the distance from VLBW to Turtle is about half the distance from LBW to VLBW.

In any event, congratulations, and I'll let Tony distribute the rewards in his always elegant manner.

Ray

KlnAir4U said:
It took me only 2 weeks to brave the 100-Mile Club... I finally drove into our driveway with a total of 114 miles, zero range and between 1 and 2 miles of driving on "empty"...

So, now what happens? Fireworks? A gold key to the 100-Mile Clubhouse?

Erik,

By the powers invested in me by the 100 Mile Club International, LLC and LTD, I do hereby and forever endow upon you the title of Mr. 68, with all the rights and privileges hereunto.

The fireworks were destroyed in the big flood, so we won't be able to do that until a donor can be found to replace them. Sadly, our insurance policy lapsed when one of our members gambled the policy premium away in a drunken stupor. Also, we have discontinued issuing keys, as our members continue to lose them at great cost to the club. So, you will have to learn the secret door knock to gain entry.

I look forward to the first Canadian entry in the 200km Club.

Welcome aboard,

Tony Williams

Huzzah! Somehow convinced my wife it was a good idea to make the 95 mile roundtrip from our house to my parents in westchester and back on a single charge. Hit VLBW (@9% SOC reporting on dash) as I crested the hill 1/2 mile from the house and afterwards just drove around the neighborhood to join the club. Suffice to say that we'll be back to using the Prius for this trip in the future - 85% interstate and 80 degrees outside (at least on the way down.. cooled down to 70 and partly cloudy for the ride up)

IMAG0443.jpg

Tony:

As you know, I am #3 and reached more than 100 miles on a single charge about 15 times before I stopped counting, in my 2012 SV. Tonight I guess I will claim #70 as well, with my first 100-plus mile trip in my 2013 SL I leased last week after my 2012 was totaled. (That is presumptuous of me, since you assign the numbers, but has anyone else done this in 2 different LEAFs?) This trip was about 60 miles on I-95 at 58-60 mph, and the rest in around-town driving. I averaged 5.2 m/kWh, which was easy to do in my 2012 and difficult in this car. The weather was clear and warm, at about 83F. Six temperature bars at all times. I used the a/c for the first 75 miles, then turned it off for the rest of the ride. I hit LBW at 73.1 miles; VLB at 95.1, and still showed 6% charge when I stopped at home with 101.2 on the trip odometer.

N1ghtrider said:
Tony: As you know, I am #3 and reached more than 100 miles on a single charge about 15 times before I stopped counting, in my 2012 SV. Tonight I guess I will claim #70 as well, with my first 100-plus mile trip in my 2013 SL...

Congrats on your new car and your accomplishment. The award is issued to the driver and not the car!!!

You're still Mr. 3. Where it proudly.

I have not posted on M/KWH in well over a year since my old battery started a steady decline.. The 120s was my avg where 130s was a very good day for driving back in 2011 ( no freeway miles-no AC or heater ) .. The new battery pack appears to have more miles to it .. Ill post updates in Oct ..

Completed my attempt today. 100.2 miles with a starting temp of 85 and ending of 92F. Starting GID of 264 and ended with 30 GIDs. So what will be my number on the board of the 100 mile club?

TonyWilliams said:
Reddy said:
I double-checked and yes, the nav screen said 5.8. There was probably a few miles left in her since I had just received the VLBW, but probably not another 10 mi....
Reddy.

Something isn't quite right. 60F is just a small hit on battery capacity, and if you had the heater blasting, we'd see that in the economy figure. Is it possible that the car sat outside overnight in significantly colder weather than 60F? Like 30F or 40F? Is it possible that you didn't reset the Nav screen economy before the trip began? Are you sure you didn't more than 101.7 miles?

First, we'll take a 0.1 reduction from the Nav screen to match the driver's screen, so 5.8 becomes 5.7

Your data....5.7 miles/kwh

85.2 miles to LBW... should be about 99 miles
13.8 miles to VLBW... almost perfect at 5.7 miles/kWh!!!!

There should be about 6 or 7 miles available at 5.7 until Turtle, and you only drove 2.7, so you still had 3 or 4 miles left (assuming the battery pack is reasonably balanced).

So, we've got a about 14 missing miles from fully charged to LBW. Is it possible that you started at 80% ? That would easily answer this question.
Number 23 checking in, SIR!!! Well, here it is, my 2-yr anniversary, and I decided it was time for another run at the 100 mi Club.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7022&p=191214&hilit=+100+mile+club#p190633
I drove the same route as quoted above, but this time got scared and turned around 5 mi short of the destination. I was already down to 5 BB and the GOM was saying something like 35 mi left, so I decided to abort, and turn around. Well, long story short, I made it home with plenty to spare, so I circled the ranch until I reached 103.6 mi.

Here are the details. Winds light (SW@5), 75-80 F, charged L1 overnight, 6 TB, 12 BB (obviously), GOM=100mi which is considerably lower than my "norm" since I drove 40 mi on the freeway the day before). Much warmer than last year's run, obviously no heat used, but a little AC for the first few miles, then just fan for the remainder. Also different from last year, there was no power off at the turn around point since I aborted 5 mi short. About 3:30 driving time and 30 mph average (the last 30 mi was definitely slower). Guessing outbound 5-10 mi @35mph, 5-10 mi @50-60 mph, 2-5 mi @35mph, 10-20 mi@50-60 mph. Return the same except 25 of the last 30 mi was between mostly between 20-30 mph. Also note that I was averaging around 5.1-5.2 mpkwh when I hit LBW. I had just exited the freeway, slowed to around 35 mph and hit LBW at 70.0 mi. It was almost identical to the spot where I hit LBW on my last year's run so I knew I could get home. Don't forget, I turned around 5 mi early, so LBW was 10 mi earlier than last time. At this point, I figured wow that battery is really degraded and my days of driving long trips are over. So, I continued through city streets and along the river at 25-35 mph (route chosen for the speed limit), briefly jumped on the freeway, then back to city streets. I arrived home at just shy of 90 mi and still hadn't gotten VLBW. Continued circling and got VLBW at 93.4 mi (yes, that's 23.4 mi on LBW!), I continued circling for another 10 mi and still did not see turtle (I chose to stop at 10 mi because I had previously done this at 30 F last winter and found I could go 10 mi). Could I have gone another 5, 10, 20 mi before turtle? Perhaps, I don't know, but it was getting boring and I'd gotten the century, so I called it quits. Thus, as LEAFfan has shown, there are lots of miles below LBW if you drive slow enough. However, I was still amazed and thought maybe I had missed VLBW, but then I got the triple dashes at 93.4 mi so I knew I was on track. Also, I should note, it's a 2-yr old 2011 SL with 13,900 mi and I've never upgraded my software. This was a much more difficult 100 mi than my last trip. I ended up driving more miles in town at lower speeds, got better mi/kWh numbers, and had higher temperatures. But it was still tough, even with my previous experiences, I still aborted due to the unknown battery degradation. Finally, LBW came much 15 mi EARLIER than last year. Is it possible that Nissan has pushed some software on my car and LBW criteria has changed? Thoughts? I have no idea. No fancy CAN/GID/etc readers for me.

So, final stats: 103.6 mi, 6.0 mi/kWh dash, 6.1 mi/kWh screen, 70 mi LBW, 94.3 mi VLBW, 3:30 hr, 30 mph average.

Reddy said:
... I got the triple dashes at 93.4 mi so I knew I was on track. Also, I should note, it's a 2-yr old 2011 SL with 13,900 mi and I've never upgraded my software. This was a much more difficult 100 mi than my last trip. I ended up driving more miles in town at lower speeds, got better mi/kWh numbers, and had higher temperatures. But it was still tough, even with my previous experiences, I still aborted due to the unknown battery degradation. Finally, LBW came much 15 mi EARLIER than last year. Is it possible that Nissan has pushed some software on my car and LBW criteria has changed? Thoughts? I have no idea. No fancy CAN/GID/etc readers for me.

So, final stats: 103.6 mi, 6.0 mi/kWh dash, 6.1 mi/kWh screen, 70 mi LBW, 94.3 mi VLBW, 3:30 hr, 30 mph average.

Your degradation is certainly Nissan-Normal(TM). No, Nissan does not have any way to push updates; to my knowledge, only Tesla can do that.

If you can borrow somebody's Android device and download the free app, with the addition of a $15 OBD2 Bluetooth device, you can get the GID data, and a whole bunch more.

wsbsteven said:
Completed my attempt today. 100.2 miles with a starting temp of 85 and ending of 92F. Starting GID of 264 and ended with 30 GIDs. So what will be my number on the board of the 100 mile club?

Congrats Mr. 70 (corrected), with a perfect recap (no GOM or CarWings data).

Many of our members have requested this number, but the Board has reserved this especially for you. We've been using a Nissan LEAF battery to power the Club House, and as you probably know, these batteries degrade over time. So, we're taking up a collection for a new LEAF battery, and I hope you won't mind paying $100 monthly forever for this new battery.

Open Letter to the President/CEO/Master of Ceremonies/Archduke of the venerated 100mi club:
Sir, it is with great displeasure that I am writing this to you today. Not for but withstanding wsbsteven's gallant effort in reaching this pinnacle of Leafdom it pains me to bring up that yours truly completed said task on the tenth day of the month of August of the year twenty aught thirteen with naught but a whisper! I have been camped outside HQ for three weeks waiting for you to appear upon the turrets and proclaim with booming thunder that I can take my place in the venerated halls. I trust this will be remedied poste haste!

michapok said:
Open Letter to the President/CEO/Master of Ceremonies/Archduke of the venerated 100mi club:
Sir, it is with great displeasure that I am writing this to you today. Not for but withstanding wsbsteven's gallant effort in reaching this pinnacle of Leafdom it pains me to bring up that yours truly completed said task on the tenth day of the month of August of the year twenty aught thirteen with naught but a whisper! I have been camped outside HQ for three weeks waiting for you to appear upon the turrets and proclaim with booming thunder that I can take my place in the venerated halls. I trust this will be remedied poste haste!

Tony:

Michapok's accomplishment is why I (erroneously) laid claim to #70, as I assumed you would knight him as #69. Some re-numbering seems to be in order.

Roy

michapok said:
Huzzah! Somehow convinced my wife it was a good idea to make the 95 mile roundtrip from our house to my parents in westchester and back on a single charge. Hit VLBW (@9% SOC reporting on dash) as I crested the hill 1/2 mile from the house and afterwards just drove around the neighborhood to join the club....

67- martyv (1 time)
68- KinAir4U (1 time)
69- wsbsteven (1 time)
70- wantonsoup (1 time)

michapok,

True, nary a whisper, indeed. I fear that a grave mistake hath been made. I shall retire for the eve, and in the morrow, I shall consider the remedy in less than a fortnight.

Tony Williams

Back