Replacement Part Costs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hbleaf said:
MY 2011 SL Leaf needs a new inner tie rod, ours has a slight bend in it and the alignment shop recommends replacing it. Unfortunately Nissan does not supply just the inner tie rods but rather sells the whole steering bearing assembly for $1600!!!! Yikes!!!

All I need is one inner tie rod. Anyone have an extra or know where I can get one? Maybe the Juke or Versa inner tie rods will work? Any ideas! Meanwhile don't bend a tie rod.

Thanks,
Steve
100% ditto on this exact, to the letter, problem I'm having right now with my 2011 LEAF SL. Hit a curb doing a little irresponsible stunt driving, which mutilated the control arm (easily found online for $100, bought and installed), but also tweaked the inner tie rod on the passenger side to a nice 30-45 degree angle. It's just a straight rod going into a flexible boot coupling - but having looked at it and felt how it's put together, it might not even be a removable/replaceable component of the steering system.

Kinda worried about this one, because I'm definitely not chucking up $1600-2000 for a whole replacement gear assembly over one bent end rod. But figure I should throw my hat into this thread as a "me too!". I'll check around eBay, I sure hope there's one out there...

FalconFour said:
Kinda worried about this one, because I'm definitely not chucking up $1600-2000 for a whole replacement gear assembly over one bent end rod. But figure I should throw my hat into this thread as a "me too!". I'll check around eBay, I sure hope there's one out there...
I would contact one of the vendors on eBay or elsewhere, who has acquired a wrecked LEAF for parts. With a little luck they will have a rod in good condition.

Just scoured the internet high and low and - as half-expected - nothing at all can be found for inner tie rods on a LEAF. There's the steering gear assembly sold as a complete unit ($2,000), then there's the outer tie rods that screw onto the assembly ($70 ish, but not what I need). Crapcrapcrap.

So, two things.

1) can this rod be bent back straight again with some clever application of heat and force? I don't imagine it needs to be perfectly straight, just better than a screwy angle that's being compensated for by the flexible coupling. If it can be bent, it can be un-bent, right?
2) if not, how/where would I go about trying to find a scrap part online? Not sure where to even begin looking... on eBay for wrecked LEAFs? Don't think I could ask for parts off something a guy's already selling in a listing, though... :?

FalconFour said:
Don't think I could ask for parts off something a guy's already selling in a listing, though... :?
That's not what I meant. Try to find someone who has apparently acquired a wrecked LEAF and is parting it out. Like this place for example.

Found out that the inner tie rod *IS* shop-replaceable, built just like every other Nissan model works, and is just consciously omitted from all known parts databases, as if Nissan just decided not to publish those parts (or that aftermarket manufacturers/distributors didn't feel like listing/maintaining that part, not 100% sure on how that works). Either way, there are near-identical-looking inner tie rods for EVERY other Nissan model made in 2011-2012, but none for the LEAF.

We just took a torch to it and bent it back to near-perfect alignment in a vice. It becomes very easy to bend with just a bit of torch heat, bends back straight, then dumped water on it to cool and stabilize it again. My suspension is almost back to new, and I just need to bring it back later to finish the alignment on a machine. And clean the red curb paint marks off the wheel.

The Leaf FB page replied to my post as well, saying I should try the dealership for parts and to post back with the progress (and/or result of asking the dealership). I'll probably do that after I clean off the curb paint though. :lol:

can you share any details on how to replace inner tie rod ends? I have a 2015 and they still don't list these as serviceable parts. Looking at the assembly it seems these attach inside of the steering rack somewhere... I heated and bent mine back only to find it bent out of shape again by what I can only imagine is the winter time potholes and poor road surfaces.

Hello all!!!

I just wanted to reply to this post by saying that I had hit a pothole a couple of weeks ago and I also bent my front inner tie rod. I was quoted by the dealership at a cost of about $1,380.00 for the steering rack with $300.00 in labor cost.

I stumbled across this forum by accident and I was encouraged to search for a cheaper option. After a lot of searching I have finally found the solution. Any one that encounters this problem in the future can do a search on Ebay for "Dorman front inner Tie rod end" or just enter the item number "523-243" hit enter and presto!!! The part fit on my 2013 Nissan Leaf and it works perfectly fine now. It cost me only $30.15 including shipping, labor was $139.00. Personally I would much rather pay $169.15 as opposed to $1,680.00 for my repair. I was so happy that I found that part and took a chance as it says it fits 2011-2012. I can only vouch for the 2013 model year, however, I think its worth a shot for anyone with this problem to try the part out before anything else.

I hope this helps anyone in the future that encounters this problem. Be safe on those roads!!!

I had the exact same problem (bent inner tie rod) on my 2015 LEAF. I ordered The Dorman 523-243 replacement.
It was not compatible. The threads on the steering rack side are larger and much finer than the ones on the original.

Left side is the original, right is Dorman 523-243

See image here: https://imgur.com/a/zQkDYxH :
cgVjOgD.jpg

2105 S bent steering arm

So, my wife was out about in the snow rounded a 90 degree corner hit and mounted the curb. Steering was off the rest of the way to work, about 1/3 of a mile.

I'm hoping that I can get that part replaced.

Sorry about the accident. I'm sure that part can be sourced either new or used. I would guess there is getting to be a decent supply of Leaf's that have been scrapped either due to crashes or worn-out batteries. That part would probably interchange on any 2011-2017 Leaf so it shouldn't be a rare item. Best of luck.

DuncanCunningham said:
2105 S bent steering arm

So, my wife was out about in the snow rounded a 90 degree corner hit and mounted the curb. Steering was off the rest of the way to work, about 1/3 of a mile.

I'm hoping that I can get that part replaced.

You got off pretty good :)
After the first snowfall last year and with the summer tires that came with our off lease '12 So Cal Leaf, the Leaf slid all the way down a moderate hill, across a busy(at times) street and ended up with the front drivers tire stopping against the median curb :eek: Luckily there wasn't any cars on the street the Leaf slid across but it did end up bending both steering arm and also the A thing that supports the lower ball joint area(the lowest black thing on your photo). The Leaf really drove squirrely and I ended up taking it to a local Minake auto. I was worried it would cost an arm and a leg but was happy the bill after replacing both bent parts was just north of $700, not even worth using our $500 deductible collision. Oh they also sent the Leaf to the Nissan dealer down the street who did a 4-wheel alignment on the car. If you just need the rod replaced I'd expect the cost to be around $500?? probably still need an alignment after the rod is replaced.
Oh this year I put real snows on that Leaf(Micheline X-ICE 3's) and the car is our best snow/ice handling vehicle now. I'll put the summer tires back on the Leaf come spring and then the snows next fall. By then hopefully all 8 tires will be worn and I can just put on a set of weather rated(3-snow peaks) winter tires that can also be used in the summer and forgo the $40/set tire swap fee come spring and fall.

Took to a local shop I'm sort of trusting in and they found and showed me a host of other damage.. both sides had damage. The found the parts for much less than through the dealer network but also the suspension arm on the driver side was also damaged too.. not just steering arms. I'm no longer able to physically do car repairs and I've already started the process to push it through our insurance. If I had the time and energy I'd probably be able to figure this out on my own.. alas it's just going to have to through the typical channels. The dealership wanted $2500 for only the steering assembly parts and labor.

They got the steering assembly.. refurbished for $650. Still insane numbers of hours to replace. Another $700 in labor. Other parts were damaged though. Our total so far in $2,250. We've paid the $500 deductible and we will see if that is everything. Suspect that a bearing could still be an issue as they told us the work was done and it showed us signs of still being far from perfect.

This may be one of those cases where, because you couldn't use all new parts and couldn't necessarily replace everything that was slightly or invisibly damaged, you should sell the car (disclosing why) or trade it in. It may never be quite the same again, and could develop failures in the steering assembly later on, sadly.

Back