What do I need to do to my EVES to make it pass 220V.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, BY sending it in to these guys: http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And having it upgraded.

davidh said:
Will the STOCK EVSE pass 220V?

Lasareath said:
Yes, BY sending it in to these guys: http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And having it upgraded.

davidh said:
Will the STOCK EVSE pass 220V?

Are they just putting a new plug on it? Plug and throwing a switch? What modification needs to be made? Can I DIY it? The specs don't look that hard.

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=faq_info&fcPath=4&faqs_id=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davidh said:
Are they just putting a new plug on it? Plug and throwing a switch? What modification needs to be made? Can I DIY it? The specs don't look that hard.
No it is far more involved than just putting a plug on it.
By the time you do it all yourself you will wish you had just sent it in.

There is an "open evse" thread (use the search) with details to make your own. You might be able to adapt that to the oem evse.

fooljoe said:
http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=faq_info&fcPath=4&faqs_id=24

Do i just need to replace the 120v Varistor with a 240v Varistor to make it work then?

smkettner said:
davidh said:
No it is far more involved than just putting a plug on it.
By the time you do it all yourself you will wish you had just sent it in.

There is an "open evse" thread (use the search) with details to make your own. You might be able to adapt that to the oem evse.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

fooljoe said:
http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=faq_info&fcPath=4&faqs_id=24
In addition to this...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12875&p=301505#p301505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12875&p=301511#p301511" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want the full TSB referenced in the 1st link re: what the dealer is supposed to check for when a customer comes in w/a dead EVSE, go to http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase.html?catid=740&sort=d&pp=10&page=3#.Uctvxqz-N8E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, get a free account and download NTB11-109.

davidh said:
There are quite a few changes that must be made to ensure the unit will safely operate on 240V. In addition, you would need to spend many hundreds of hours reverse-engineering the unit and developing new firmware from the ground-up to get anything other than a 12 amp pilot out of the unit. (We have, and it's not easy!)

Once upgraded, the EVSE is then capable of 4 times the power output, and there simply is no way to do this without writing lots of new software, no matter how many components you attempt to change.

There have been a few people that have spent the time to gut the 1st generation EVSE's (2011-2012) and install an open EVSE board inside, but this is a waste of money, when you can sell the intact unit for way more than an open EVSE will cost you to build from scratch. It would be even worse money-wise, and also extremely difficult to do this on a 2nd generation (2013) EVSE, as the PCB is potted into the bottom housing (difficult to gut) and the size of the housing doesn't leave much room to work with.

If you must DIY; Sell your unit, take the $ and build your own open EVSE. You'll have more fun, and save a lot of hassle and a wad of money!

-Phil

^^^^
Listen to Phil, a fair honest answer.
From the questions you've asked, you clearly have no where near the knowledge or background to safely modify the OEM 120V EVSE.
I kind of doubt whether going the open EVSE route is suitable, but you'll have to make that choice. I don't think it is for +95% of people.

Ingineer said:
davidh said:
Are they just putting a new plug on it? Plug and throwing a switch? What modification needs to be made? Can I DIY it? The specs don't look that hard.[/quote

]There are quite a few changes that must be made to ensure the unit will safely operate on 240V. In addition, you would need to spend many hundreds of hours reverse-engineering the unit and developing new firmware from the ground-up to get anything other than a 12 amp pilot out of the unit. (We have, and it's not easy!)

Once upgraded, the EVSE is then capable of 4 times the power output, and there simply is no way to do this without writing lots of new software, no matter how many components you attempt to change.

There have been a few people that have spent the time to gut the 1st generation EVSE's (2011-2012) and install an open EVSE board inside, but this is a waste of money, when you can sell the intact unit for way more than an open EVSE will cost you to build from scratch. It would be even worse money-wise, and also extremely difficult to do this on a 2nd generation (2013) EVSE, as the PCB is potted into the bottom housing (difficult to gut) and the size of the housing doesn't leave much room to work with.

If you must DIY; Sell your unit, take the $ and build your own open EVSE. You'll have more fun, and save a lot of hassle and a wad of money!

-Phil

No reverse-engineering needed, all someone would have to do is open one of yours and copy(start there own business) or publish the changes. I doubt this patented. I understand that you have a business to protect and that your not just give away secrets.

TimLee said:
^^^^
Listen to Phil, a fair honest answer.
From the questions you've asked, you clearly have no where near the knowledge or background to safely modify the OEM 120V EVSE.
I kind of doubt whether going the open EVSE route is suitable, but you'll have to make that choice. I don't think it is for +95% of people.

I ran a electronics company, I've designed computers, I've taken electrical engineering at MIT; I bet I could figure out a protect relay circuit. However from the answers you've given(not a worthless bit of help) you'er what proctologist's work on.

If such is the case, I would have hoped that you know there is much more to it than that... Alas, clearly you do not.

Regardless, your banal, insulting and arrogant response has likely insured that you will get no further response or help from anyone on this forum so good luck on your own.

davidh said:
I ran a electronics company, I've designed computers, I've taken electrical engineering at MIT; I bet I could figure out a protect relay circuit. However from the answers you've given(not a worthless bit of help) you'er what proctologist's work on.

+1
TomT said:
If such is the case, I would have hoped that you know there is much more to it than that... Alas, clearly you do not.

Regardless, your banal, insulting and arrogant response has likely insured that you will get no further response or help from anyone on this forum so good luck on your own.

davidh said:

davidh said:
I ran a electronics company, I've designed computers, I've taken electrical engineering at MIT; I bet I could figure out a protect relay circuit...

By just putting a new plug on it? ;)

Good bye, davidh. As someone who claims EE knowledge but doesn't know the difference between firmware and a printed circuit while insulting someone who is an expert in both, you just landed on my foes list. May you put a new plug on your 120v EVSE and reap your just rewards.

I'm a firm believer in not walking into somebody's house (that you don't even know) and begin to tell them how awesome you are while insulting and denigrating them.

But, hey, that's just me. Hopefully, you won't get any more of our unwanted help, since you clearly have it figured out. Best wishes in your little world, and you've also earned my foe list as well.

Tony

I'll throw the OP another bone, perhaps he should read http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, esp. Ingineer's responses and those familiar w/the J1773 standard and NEC.

davidh said:
No reverse-engineering needed, all someone would have to do is open one of yours and copy(start there own business) or publish the changes. I doubt this patented.
You can't even get the quotes right in your post, and you think you can design and build an EVSE? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Sure you might be able to copy and replicate what someone else designed, whether or not it is patented. That just makes you a self acknowledged thief!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

planet4ever said:
Good bye, davidh. As someone who claims EE knowledge but doesn't know the difference between firmware and a printed circuit while insulting someone who is an expert in both, you just landed on my foes list. May you put a new plug on your 120v EVSE and reap your just rewards.
So great a response. Especially love the last sentence. Have fun, davidh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back