(Make an EV Like)BMW electric car with extended range engine

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyneely

BMW is making an electric car with a small two cylinder scooter engine driving a generator to provide range extension. Nissan bought a similar system from Lotus. Does anyone else want to have a range extender engine in their Leaf? Why can't Nissan put the Lotus generator pack in a Leaf? Would anyone buy an aftermarket generator pack built into their Leaf to double the range?

I rather have this in my Leaf!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/20/tech/whiz-kid/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lasareath said:
I rather have this in my Leaf!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/20/tech/whiz-kid/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's just a super capacitor, I wonder how she overcame the fire hazard of charging lithium battteries to full or nearly full capacity in 30 seconds.

derkraut said:
I really don't see much difference between the (engine generator) and my Prius.
Prius uses a series/parallel hybrid design w/two motor/generators and a planetary gearset inside the transaxle (http://eahart.com/prius/psd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

I don't follow the i3 as I don't care but I'd imagine they're going w/a strictly series/serial hybrid design w/no mechanical connection from the ICE to the wheels.

cwerdna said:
I don't follow the i3 as I don't care but I'd imagine they're going w/a strictly series/serial hybrid design w/no mechanical connection from the ICE to the wheels.
Yes, the generator will reportedly charge the battery, which will power the electric traction motor. It looks like it's going to be an option, and those that are not interested in a range extender, can get a pure BEV trim. There are several articles on GCR and elsewhere, where this is covered, should anyone care about the topic.
bmwi3mnl

BMW i3 Electric Car: ReX Range Extender Not For Daily Use?

(from the article):

"But those potential i3 owners need to understand a critical point: The BMW i3 may not operate like a Chevy Volt. That is, its performance in range-extending mode may be more limited than when it is running on battery power. One of the core principles behind the design of the Volt was that its performance should be identical whether in battery-powered or range-extending mode.

BMW says the range extender of the i3, on the other hand, is designed not for long-distance travel but purely as a short-term stopgap to get drivers to the next recharging location."

In actuality, its a 650cc engine derived from a BMW Motorcycle, I'm sure it's not rated for continual use even though here in the U.S. some may compare it to a Volt which touts its 'unlimited' range due to the onboard gas 'generator' engine.

Interestingly enough -- another municipality (IL EPA) would put this in the same class as a Volt because the 'engine' is actually a generator and not your typical ICE with a battery pack added (like a Ford C-Max Energi or Prius Plug-In) --- in the i3 application, you would use the extended range gas very sparingly --- I would wonder if they would also have a system that advises that you run it like the Volt so the fuel doesn't get stale after running for long periods of time on electric only.

Back