Poll : The official 2013 "Did you Lease or Buy?" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you buy or lease ?

• My First Leaf : Bought

Votes: 174 39.5%
  • My First Leaf : Leased

Votes: 239 54.2%
  • Not my First Leaf : Bought

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • Not my First Leaf : Leased

Votes: 21 4.8%

• Total voters
Once again, a clueless dealer... It's definitely 6.0 Kw (output).

BestPal said:
LEAFfan said:
DG, please tell your customers that it is a 6.0kW charger, not 6.6. It isn't twice as fast as the 3.3.
I was very curious about that and when I was at the dealership last night picking up my Leaf after some service done to it, I asked a Leaf tech and he said it actually is indeed a 6.6kW charger that is installed in 2013 models (optional on S).

TomT said:
Once again, a clueless dealer... It's definitely 6.0 Kw (output).

BestPal said:
LEAFfan said:
DG, please tell your customers that it is a 6.0kW charger, not 6.6. It isn't twice as fast as the 3.3.
I was very curious about that and when I was at the dealership last night picking up my Leaf after some service done to it, I asked a Leaf tech and he said it actually is indeed a 6.6kW charger that is installed in 2013 models (optional on S).

It's Nissan themselves that are spreading this misinformation, just like with the "100 mile range." It's even mentioned as "6.6 kW" on their own website.

They're dealers, not Consumer Reports, so they're not going to independently verify the manufacturer's claims.

I bought, 2013 with Every option except the 4 way camera / Bose Upgrade.

They had the sticker price at $36,160.00, I chewed them down to $34,000 even (Costco members get $2000 to $2500 off Cars when you go to their dealers) I told them this and they took off $2160.00

So I'm financing $34,000 @ 4.99 percent interest. Not the lowest but my old car died and I needed a car. I was hoping to buy a 2014 because I heard of longer range and induction charging.

I'm financing it because I carry a lot of tools and computers and I don't know how many miles I'll do so I may rip the seats and bang it up and piut too much millage on it for a lease. I usually drive my car 10 years before buying a new one.

Lasareath

BestPal said:
LEAFfan said:
Why are so many people still confused about this? The facts are stated quite clearly in the 2013 Nissan LEAF Press Kit right there on an official Nissan website.
Code:
3.6 kW onboard charger (3.3 kW output)
Charging time (est.)    220V ~ 7 hrs
                        110V 21 hrs

6.6 kW onboard charger (6.0 kW output)
Charging time (est.)    220V ~ 4 hrs
                        110V 21 hrs
The charger in the 2011/2012 was also 3.3 kW output.

[Well, OK, someone in Nissan still seems to think the US has 110v/220v rather than the 120v/240v we've had for more than half a century, but if the charger is really amperage-limited, not wattage-limited, that would just reduce both charging times a bit proportionally, not make the faster one twice as fast as the slower one.]

Ray

While I am still early in my Leaf Ownership/Lease, We have yet to need anything beyond level 1 charging. Everyone freaks out about a 21 hour charge time, until it sets in that you are rarely if ever at 0% SOC. Even from 30-40% SOC, an overnight charge has you back up at full charge. The whole, your home is a gas station (electrically speaking), really changes the paradigm.

I went with lease, largely due to this forum and this thread. Thank you all for your posts. My specifics:

2013 SL, Black with premium package
VPP program for pricing; very smooth, no haggle, dealer invoice less $1,000
36 month, 15,000 mile lease; 15 cents per mile overage
$3,225 down including first month payment
Payments are just over $300 per month

I had never leased a vehicle before, being the type that tends to save up, buy for cash, and drive until the car falls apart. However, with the relative newness of the technology, the rate at which costs are coming down, and the overall uncertainty regarding resale/battery life, the lease seems to be a good insurance policy. Plus, with the $2,500 CA rebate, I am basically driving away with no up front investment and my fuel/maintenance savings more than offset the monthly operating cost.

We bought our 2011 SL in March of 2011. In two years we accumulated only 12,000 miles. Being the type of person that usually owns cars for a very long time (often 10 years or more), that was our expectation when we bought the LEAF. With the negative publicity surrounding the battery degradation issue the resale value of the LEAF was dropping more quickly than expected (and faced with the potential of our own future battery degradation given enough time and with the introduction of the 2013 model and its 15 percent better EPA range), we decided to sell the 2011 and lease a 2013. We sold our 2011 SL with quick charge port in March for $18,000, which I feel was reasonable. The guide that I use to determine real-world values is the completed listings page found at the eBay Motors auction site. There you will find many unsold vehicles with their final bids, but as importantly you will find the price of sold vehicles. As of today, one 2011 model sold for $16,997 (SL, QC port, 15,071 miles). Apparently it sold the week prior for $16,945, but that deal fell through. This sale was from a dealer in Tennessee that seems to be specializing in No Reserve auction sales of LEAFs, as well as other vehicles. Most private party sales are for less than those from a dealer.

The reason we chose to lease the 2013 - Nissan is providing a bottom under the value in three years. Also, Nissan is carrying the burden of the battery cost. No matter the capacity in three years, when the car is turned in Nissan is the responsible party for the battery pack, not me. My expectation is that LEAF 2.0 will be out around that time. The 2013 upgrades are minor and expected. The five year point (from initial introduction) is when major improvements can be expected in the car business. So my guess is that the 2016 model year LEAF will be due for the major upgrade. What will those expected upgrades be? Anyone's guess. More efficient battery pack certainly (providing more range). Another motor improvement? More efficient brake regen? (Hopefully better carpet by then.) As the SL with Premium Package already offers a nice selection of luxury features, I expect the majority of improvement to focus on the drivetrain which will apply across the range. With the potential for a body redesign, there does exist the possibility of seeing a change to Nissan's current battery thermal management system as well.

Nissan's aggressive lease offer has made the LEAF more attractive to more buyers as indicated by the explosion in LEAF activity, in certain West Coast markets particularly. Nissan's ongoing installation of DC quick charge stations in certain dealerships is also moving to reduce the range anxiety of buying a purely electric vehicle for many potential customers. Even in those hot climate markets where the early battery degradation took place, Nissan is still leasing LEAFs in greater numbers. Again, the attraction of the lease is not having to be concerned with battery replacement cost or potential degradation. Let Nissan carry those burdens.

Leasing a 2013 LEAF (or any electric vehicle for that matter), makes absolute sense. Even for guys like me that are naturally averse to leasing.

stavtom said:
Looking into buying or leasing a 2013 Nissan Leaf S.

I live in CA and it seems like after the rebates the Leaf S comes to 18800 (thinking I can get the dealer down to 17000 after the rebates?)

Given this, why would people leasing the S? Seems like the current best deal people are getting for a lease is 5200 over two years and 30k max.

Do people see the benefits of a lease being no repair cost the first two years, and the opportunity to buy a much better leaf in a few years? Otherwise it seems like the 5200 cost is about 1/3rd of what I can just buy and keep the car with.
I wasn't aware that Nissan will have new generation of Leaf by 2015. I am leasing a 2012 now but if they can shorten the charging time (as they have apparently done with the 6.6 Kw charger on board) and increase the electric range (200 or 300 would be nice) and do all this for less than 30K, I will be buying instead of leasing.

I have leased a 2012 Leaf for three years, but that was before the significant upgrades with the 2013. My question is should I explore the possibility of turning in my current lease for a new lease for a 2013? Has anybody considered that? or should I just stay with my 2012 lease until it expires in 2016? The penalty might be prohibitive. Any thoughts??

Bluebull said:
I wasn't aware that Nissan will have new generation of Leaf by 2015.

Only Nissan knows when they expect to release Leaf 2.0 to the public. The 2015 guess is just that, a guess, based upon Nissan's usual product cycles, and the fact that they just did a mid-cycle update for 2013.

Bluebull said:
I have leased a 2012 Leaf for three years, but that was before the significant upgrades with the 2013. My question is should I explore the possibility of turning in my current lease for a new lease for a 2013? Has anybody considered that? or should I just stay with my 2012 lease until it expires in 2016? The penalty might be prohibitive. Any thoughts??

Someone did that earlier (search for a thread about how to get the lease payoff) and felt they would end up too far upside down. If you put very little money down, and/or rolled the inequity of your trade-in into the lease, you can almost be assured that the terms of ending your lease early will not be favorable.

Yes I leased mine it only has a three year warranty and carwings is only covered for 3 years. The battery is backed by a 8 year warranty. I have the pearl white 2013 SL it very nice and its quick. My daily drive has me going 30 miles to work where they let me trickle charge at work for free. I averaged my monthly spend at $26 a month in extra electricity which is a far cry from $350 I spent driving my Armada back and forth. When the lease is up I may buy it. Unless they have something faster more sporty with greater range by the end of lease 2016. I do plan to buy the new pathfinder hybrid at that time or rather a used one. You get the best warranty used through Nissan automatic 8 year 100k drive train on a CPO plus you get about 10k off. Picked up my 2011 Nismo 370z CPO for 31k with 8k miles.

Now that I have gone electric I am not looking back! This car is just as fast if not faster than the average cars and trucks. The thing flys from 20-80 with no effort and it handles so nimbly you can get in and out of traffic easily. Most people are astounded that I can out run them with ease. It's always fun to watch people waste $$$ on gas while I am using cents going just as fast with using no fuel. Don't think I will be going back to gas for my daily commute.

I still have my Ford Expedition for those long trip with the family. Traded in my 2012 Armada for the Leaf the sales people were looking at me like I was crazy!

Yet the savings are immense! Plus all the cool gadgets you get. My fav is the iPhone app that let's me check the charge and turn on the AC. I like to take a nap at lunch time. I have my pillow and ear phones and glasses and I crash for an hour in 95 degree heat in the garage with the AC chilling me down to a nice 70 degrees inside the car all while the car charges back up. I also set the timer so when I get out of work of course the car is fully charged and its nice and cool when I get in.

The only thing they need to do is have a better button for Eco mode. I turn it off to launch and once up to speed I turn it back on. I am on and off with that button all the time. I use it to do a lot of my braking.

I don't know about the rest of you but I find myself speeding a lot in the car. You just can't feel the speed. I thought traffic was a little slow this morning so I passed the car in front of me and I look at the speedo again and I was doing 91. I was like wooh! Now you have understand this is coming from a guy who drives a Nismo with oil cooler and racing tires to work. The only time I say wooh In that car is when I look down after passing someone and I'm doing 140 or drifting hair pin turns a 60-70 mph with the tail hanging out.

Over all this car is the coolest I have owned by Nissan so far! If they could get the exterior looks down and add that new capacitors to the existing tech to give me like a NOS boost when I want it for those quick 0-60 runs they would sell like hot cakes. I love the interior with the leather smells so good, My Nismo is awesome, but this little car is the bomb!

Leased. The lease payment was less than what we were paying on a monthly basis for gas.

IMO, EV tech is still evolving quickly so I think it's smart to go with something short-term and then re-assess when the term is up in 2015.

Opted for the lease after reading up on the forum, thank you.

Went with a 2013 SV, Metallic Slate with the LED headlights and quick charge port package
36 month, 12k lease
3k down
Payments are $290 a month
Glendale Nissan in L.A. County

I've never leased a car before but the savings were to much to pass up. My commute is 34 miles, mostly highway, and I get to trickle charge at work. This was a no brainer...along with the $2,500 that the state of California will give you back. So far i'm in love with this car and technology.

Traded in my 2011 SL Leaf (bought 6/7/11 for $34740) and leased a 2013 SL Cayenne Red with Premium package, mats, splash guards, zero emission graphic.) on 7/14/13.

2013 SL: Agreed upon cost $35100 (including $1000 Leaf Customer loyalty). Gross cap cost $36294 includes $595 acquisition fee and $599 maintenance contract). Adjusted cap costs = $26920 (reduced by $9373 for $7500 Fed tax credit and $2500 down, plus some taxes and fees) with residual value $18230.

36 month, 12 k lease
Payments $351 a month (including tax)
Palm Springs Nissan

I was very happy with my 2011 SL, but I had lost 2 bars in slightly over 2 years with only 12000 miles on it. BTW, I got $15500 cash as a trade in, but only put $2500 down on the lease.

I did a two year lease. With all the incentives, credits, and other cash motivators, I am driving a new car for free. Sounds to good to be true, it's true!!! I expect increased range in a year or two, probably 150 miles, will up grade then. I am still learning how to manage electricity and still have fun driving. As another said, people are sure surprised when an electric vehicle out performs their gas powered one. I can't help myself. My neighbor has a Leaf too.

So on June 15th of 2013, I leased a Nissan Leaf SL without the premium package. The Dealer required $3600 down and $99 a month for 23 months. There were no additional fees. License, registration, leasing fees were all included in the price. The only surprise is they told me I have to pay $400 to turn in the car at lease-end. Oh, and it's a 24 month lease. The price works out to be $244.88 a month.

I just leased a 2013 Leaf SV (includes optional quick charger) for $3000 down and $130 month for 24 months. I'm also facing the $400 exit fee if I don't choose to purchase at the end.

Based on current trends in EV tech advancement and lingering questions about battery longevity, it's unlikely I will purchase the car at the end of the lease, but I'll almost certainly lease or buy another EV at that point. I absolutely love the Leaf and am totally hooked on EVs.

Back