The MP Power Cord Lock

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafmatt

I just picked up my new Leaf and have been enjoying driving it now for a few weeks. I use this as my commuter car to work and I park in a garage there. I have been a bit concerned about leaving the power cord out on the ground for anyone to just walk off with so I came up with a very simple way of locking it up to the car.

I have taken a padlock and I hook the power cord through the padlock loop and lock it to the hatch that opens to the power cord. Once you lock it this way you can't pull either end through the padlock. The photo explains it better. I've showed this to two other Leaf owners who are now using this method, too.

img1090ex.jpg

img1091cz.jpg

Good idea, and probably a bit more convenient than fitting a small luggage padlock in the lock release trigger hole.
We do what we can, but of course neither method will deter a wire thief.

Some time back, a fella showed how the brick and all cable could be stowed in the latched engine(?) compartment, with just an extension cord exiting.

Perhaps this would keep your car from being towed away
if somebody unplugged your car.

Maybe your car is still "connected"... I do not remember
the exact wording of the "towing" bill, or required signage.

My understanding is that the 2013 has a switch that locks the charger into place. I can be set as Lock which does just that or it can be set on Auto which allows the charger to be removed after a full charge. I tried mine and the lock did not keep me from removing the plug. I'm thinking that maybe that is because I have the key in my pocket. Is that right?

I'm real new at this. Been driving my new Leaf for 5 days. I think I'm going to love it.

DaveyU said:
My understanding is that the 2013 has a switch that locks the charger into place. I can be set as Lock which does just that or it can be set on Auto which allows the charger to be removed after a full charge. I tried mine and the lock did not keep me from removing the plug. I'm thinking that maybe that is because I have the key in my pocket. Is that right?

I'm real new at this. Been driving my new Leaf for 5 days. I think I'm going to love it.

good question, did anyone knows the answer of this..

DaveyU said:
I've only charged at home, and so far left my switch in the "off" position, but just now went out to check. The car was still waiting for a timer charge to start later, and I set the switch to "lock". I heard a click, then went to the front of the car with the key fob in my pocket. Pressing the button on the J1772 connector didn't let me pull it out. One thing I did do first was lock the car. Could that have been your difference?

(I trust you know it's not really a "charger". The charger in the 2013 is part of that big shiny stack under the hood, and removing it from the car would be a significant repair shop operation.)

Ray

I have a 2013 that locks just fine. The switch has 3 positions. Auto locks when charging and unlocks when done. Unlock (middle position) keeps it always unlocked. Lock positions keeps it locked until you choose one of the other positions. Mine seem to lock/unlock independent of the doors.

I haven't used my trickle charger anywhere other than in my garage. Anyone know if they're 100% waterproof?

We just set ours on lock - because our carport is open to the street. The charge cable can't be disconnected this way. AT public stations I set it to auto so it can be removed when charge is complete.

I haven't used my trickle charger anywhere other than in my garage. Anyone know if they're 100% waterproof?

I wouldn't submerge it in water, but it is rain-proof. And the charger is built into the car, so the cable is a "charging cable" or EVSE, for "Electric vehicle Service Equipment" which is easily the worst acronym I've seen outside of a government agency...

voodoojc said:
I have had my Nissan supplied unit and my Clipper Creek unit out in the rain many times with no issues at all.

Back