How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telematics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jmeitz said:
Grounded 58 and nothing happens when put in reverse.

Are you sure your on the right pin position ?
2bee8k.jpg

that is the wire i am grounding, third from end on bottom. I have checked and verified i have ground along with that i have 12 volts when in reverse. Curious to what the other wire at 59 is as i mistakenly removed that one when trying the empty sockets.

jmeitz said:
that is the wire i am grounding, third from end on bottom. I have checked and verified i have ground along with that i have 12 volts when in reverse. Curious to what the other wire at 59 is as i mistakenly removed that one when trying the empty sockets.

Weird, I ground that position and everything works: I get a black screen with guide lines
Then I even tested the video input (40) and shield (60) with a regular video camera and I get image on the nav display with everything.

I am stumped as to what 59 is as well.

Wonder if it's a difference between types of Leaf's ??
I have a 2013 SL

Does your sl by chance have a camera button on the radio?

I have no idea why mine will not come on. Triple checked ground on 58.

I think I have the info that you guys are looking for. The pinout on page PG-126 in the service manual lists the following pins on connector M96 (the connector show in the pic above)

39 -- Camera + (camera power +)
40 -- R Camera comp (video +)
58 -- RV Camera sig (rear camera enable)
59 -- Camera ground (camera power -)
60 -- Camera shield (video -)

I suspect that those wires eventually lead back to the connector on the "C" pillar.

jmeitz said:

How are you grounding the pin?

jelloslug said:
jmeitz said:

Grounded to chassis where radio screws in and also tried to ground at 12v accessory plug in.

jmeitz said:

No my nav unit does NOT have the camera button that would be for the around view.

Sorry.

jmeitz said:
jelloslug said:
jmeitz said:

Grounded to chassis where radio screws in and also tried to ground at 12v accessory plug in.

Are you grounding the connector pin or grounding the AV control unit pin?

jelloslug said:
I think I have the info that you guys are looking for. The pinout on page PG-126 in the service manual lists the following pins on connector M96 (the connector show in the pic above)

I suspect that those wires eventually lead back to the connector on the "C" pillar.

What does not make sense to me still is: the manual shows PG-126 wire colors ( ) yet the wire is [ ]
39 -- Camera + (camera power +) ------(R) Red [is white] *************
40 -- R Camera comp (video +)---------(R) Red [matches]
58 -- RV Camera sig (rear camera enable)--- (B) black [matches]
59 -- Camera ground (camera power -) ----- (W) white [? black ?] ***********
60 -- Camera shield (video -) ------------ (Shield) assume black [matches]

Skyffej said:
jelloslug said:

What does not make sense to me still is: the manual shows PG-126 wire colors ( ) yet the wire is [ ]

Who knows? That seems to be the only place they are mentioned at all in the service manual so they probably did not check it well. Did you get a chance to see if the camera wires are under the drivers "C" pillar cover like in the pic I posted earlier? Also, your colors match the colors that are on the S trim level AV control unit plug.

jelloslug said:
Skyffej said:
jelloslug said:

Who knows? That seems to be the only place they are mentioned at all in the service manual so they probably did not check it well. Did you get a chance to see if the camera wires are under the drivers "C" pillar cover like in the pic I posted earlier? Also, your colors match the colors that are on the S trim level AV control unit plug.

******all of the above was for getting ready to install an oem camera.....

Okay so I ordered a OEM camera two listed I picked the one that said it works with the SL
I assume that both would work with probably just different connectors ???
I got it the other day and there are four wires in an eight position connector (the other positions are blank)
Black
red
White
Yellow

Any idea on what goes to what ? (power input, signal out etc....)
Also can some one confirm that the camera only use 6.2volts for input power ?

I tired connecting it up but can't get an image on the Nav unit, keep in Mind I CAN get an image on the nav unit using a non OEM camera ! ***this is driving me nuts*****
either I got a bad OEM camera or I broke it trying to connect it up...... OR I am not connecting up the right pins to the right thing

I have two wires running all the way to the nav unit pins (40 camera input video) and 60 camera shield for video
If I connect my non oem camera to those wires I get a picture just fine
if I connect the oem camera I get nothing but black, I think I have tired all different combinations

Any body out there done this on a 2013 SL without the Premium package ?
ANy help would be great ..........

Skyffej said:
******all of the above was for getting ready to install an oem camera.....

Okay so I ordered a OEM camera two listed I picked the one that said it works with the SL
I assume that both would work with probably just different connectors ???
I got it the other day and there are four wires in an eight position connector (the other positions are blank)
Black
red
White
Yellow

Any idea on what goes to what ? (power input, signal out etc....)
Also can some one confirm that the camera only use 6.2volts for input power ?

I tired connecting it up but can't get an image on the Nav unit, keep in Mind I CAN get an image on the nav unit using a non OEM camera ! ***this is driving me nuts*****
either I got a bad OEM camera or I broke it trying to connect it up...... OR I am not connecting up the right pins to the right thing

I have two wires running all the way to the nav unit pins (40 camera input video) and 60 camera shield for video
If I connect my non oem camera to those wires I get a picture just fine
if I connect the oem camera I get nothing but black, I think I have tired all different combinations

Any body out there done this on a 2013 SL without the Premium package ?
ANy help would be great ..........

Where are you trying to hook it up at? Have you removed the trim panel at the drivers side "C" pillar? To get it to go into reverse camera mode you have to ground the camera enable wire.

jelloslug said:
Where are you trying to hook it up at? Have you removed the trim panel at the drivers side "C" pillar? To get it to go into reverse camera mode you have to ground the camera enable wire.

I am powering it directly off a shop supply at 6.2volts
and then running wires up to pins 40 and 60 on the nav head (I already have pin 58 grounded to get the back up to display in R)

Note: doing the same thing with my NON oem camera I get picture just fine but trying to hook up the OEM camera Part # 28442-3NH0B I get a black screen with only guide lines. aka NO Video from the camera.

So I am trying to figure out what's up and verify what color wire is what.

Skyffej said:
jelloslug said:

I am powering it directly off a shop supply at 6.2volts
and then running wires up to pins 40 and 60 on the nav head (I already have pin 58 grounded to get the back up to display in R)

Note: doing the same thing with my NON oem camera I get picture just fine but trying to hook up the OEM camera Part # 28442-3NH0B I get a black screen with only guide lines. aka NO Video from the camera.

So I am trying to figure out what's up and verify what color wire is what.

According to the service manual 6 volts is correct. I believe that white and red are the power and black and yellow are the video signal. One thing: I used camera P/N 28442-3NH0A.

I will donate $25 to the Paypal account of the first person who figures this out and does a writeup with complete instructions for others to follow.

Requirements:
- Must work on 2013 SL models
- Must provide parts list, costs, and where to obtain the parts
- Must provide detailed instructions with photos allowing others to complete the mod
- I prefer a solution that uses as much factory wiring as possible (i.e. prefer a solution that taps into harness in 'C' pillar rather than running wires all the way to nav unit)
- I prefer a solution that locates camera in stock location on rear hatch handle

Anyone else want this bad enough to put some money on it?

jrmgkia said:
I will donate $25 to the Paypal account of the first person who figures this out and does a writeup with complete instructions for others to follow.

Requirements:
- Must work on 2013 SL models
- Must provide parts list, costs, and where to obtain the parts
- Must provide detailed instructions with photos allowing others to complete the mod
- I prefer a solution that uses as much factory wiring as possible (i.e. prefer a solution that taps into harness in 'C' pillar rather than running wires all the way to nav unit)
- I prefer a solution that locates camera in stock location on rear hatch handle

Anyone else want this bad enough to put some money on it?
I'm certan that what I did in my 2013 S will work in an SV or SL that does not have around view (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=12617). I just need someone to pull the "C" pillar cover and check the wiring.

I already have the SL, but since you are very technically deep in this system, I was wondering if there is anyway to turn the camera on when you are not in reverse? Kind of like the Tesla S can use it as a supplementary rear view camera when driving forward.

ELROY said:
I already have the SL, but since you are very technically deep in this system, I was wondering if there is anyway to turn the camera on when you are not in reverse? Kind of like the Tesla S can use it as a supplementary rear view camera when driving forward.

I would image this is possible with an extra switch installed that would supply 12 volts to the back up sense line thus making the nav display think it was in reverse.

Back