How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telematics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after spending two hours trying to figure out how to get the camera working i gave up. the diagram i have shows how to do a camera on a nav with Bose and a non nav system but not a nav with no bose. There were a few extra wires and seems to be a video feed wire but cannot locate the wire to ground to let the system know there is a camera.

if anyone wants the wiring diagram let me know

Ramius83 - any luck with the harness information? I am thinking about bringing the cam and the wiring diagram to an audio installer I know and see if he can figure this out.

Thanks

outermostleaf said:
Ramius83 - any luck with the harness information? I am thinking about bringing the cam and the wiring diagram to an audio installer I know and see if he can figure this out.

Thanks

Here is what I have found out. 40 (red) is your+ for video and 60 (shield) is the negative. I believe 27 which does not have a wire needs to be grounded as the diagram for the Bose system shows it grounded for avm detection.

I have not tried it yet but after reviewing all the diagrams I believe this is the answer.

jmeitz said:
outermostleaf said:

Thanks

Here is what I have found out. 40 (red) is your+ for video and 60 (shield) is the negative. I believe 27 which does not have a wire needs to be grounded as the diagram for the Bose system shows it grounded for avm detection.

I have not tried it yet but after reviewing all the diagrams I believe this is the answer.

Thanks - I will pass that info to the installer and will let you know how he makes out. I have done a lot of car audio installs and a bunch of mods to my other cars, but working on my wife's 2 week old Leaf is uncharted territory. She'd kill me if I screwed it up.

jmeitz said:
outermostleaf said:

Thanks

Well grounding 27 did not seem to work.

jmeitz said:
jmeitz said:
outermostleaf said:

Thanks

Well grounding 27 did not seem to work.

Just to recap:
you have a 2013 Sl model with Nav but without the Bose audio or Around view option correct ?
If so have you tested to see if position 45 (reverse signal) gets battery voltage when placing the car in R with and without position 27 grounded as previously suggested ?

Just to recap:
you have a 2013 Sl model with Nav but without the Bose audio or Around view option correct ?
If so have you tested to see if position 45 (reverse signal) gets battery voltage when placing the car in R with and without position 27 grounded as previously suggested ?

I have a 2013 SV model with Nav and no Bose or all around camera.
For position 27 there is no wire there, its blank. I have not checked to see if 45 has voltage, i assumed it did.

So does any one have a part number for the pins used in the AV conectors ?
Ref:
Items/Parts that you will need:
-A decent rear view back-up reverse camera with no guidelines, or with the wiring to disable the guidelines. Be sure that you get a camera that has a yellow RCA output wire.
-Either sacrifice a USB port to a motherboard to get the pins/terminals out of it which you can get from Fry’s Electronics or DigiKey, or find a plug in a junkyard to steal pins from. Or you can use the existing pins/terminals that we will deal with later.
-1 female RCA connector that you can get from RadioShack
-Electrical Tape and/or heat-shrink
-Electrical Solderless In-line Taps
-Zip Ties

Skyffej said:
So does any one have a part number for the pins used in the AV conectors ?
Ref:
Items/Parts that you will need:
-A decent rear view back-up reverse camera with no guidelines, or with the wiring to disable the guidelines. Be sure that you get a camera that has a yellow RCA output wire.
-Either sacrifice a USB port to a motherboard to get the pins/terminals out of it which you can get from Fry’s Electronics or DigiKey, or find a plug in a junkyard to steal pins from. Or you can use the existing pins/terminals that we will deal with later.
-1 female RCA connector that you can get from RadioShack
-Electrical Tape and/or heat-shrink
-Electrical Solderless In-line Taps
-Zip Ties
The best way is to buy a cheap used nissan wiring harness off of ebay or a local junk yard that has similar connectors and harvest the pins out of that.

jelloslug said:
jmeitz said:
The schematics for non Bose shows 58 is grounded already.
I see it listed in the pin designation but I don't see it on the non-Bose diagram.

All I have a 2013 SL Leaf with out Bose or around view (aka premium package) and I was doing some pin checking on the back of the nav unit it DOES have a wire in position 58 how ever it is NOT ground (I suspect it leads to an open harness for where the around view control plugs in but have not dug into that yet)

The good news is that if you DO ground Pin 58 the nav unit will show the back up screen with guide lines and all that (in reverse)!
next the inputs for Video is pin 40 with the camera Shield wire at pin 60 !

Hope that helps others, I will be getting some parts to install my back up camera and will post any new news I find removing panels etc....

Skyffej said:
jelloslug said:
jmeitz said:
The schematics for non Bose shows 58 is grounded already.
I see it listed in the pin designation but I don't see it on the non-Bose diagram.

All I have a 2013 SL Leaf with out Bose or around view (aka premium package) and I was doing some pin checking on the back of the nav unit it DOES have a wire in position 58 how ever it is NOT ground (I suspect it leads to an open harness for where the around view control plugs in but have not dug into that yet)

The good news is that if you DO ground Pin 58 the nav unit will show the back up screen with guide lines and all that (in reverse)!
next the inputs for Video is pin 40 with the camera Shield wire at pin 60 !

Hope that helps others, I will be getting some parts to install my back up camera and will post any new news I find removing panels etc....
Good find! I wonder where the other end is....

OK, since we now know that pin 58 enables the camera on the SV and SL models I took a look at the block diagrams to see where the ground terminal is and low and behold it's in the exact same spot as the one for the S trim level: back at the drivers side "C" pillar.

c%20piller%20cover%20removed.JPG

If a person were to add the parts that I added in my S model (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=12617) at the very least the car would go into backup camera mode when put into reverse and the wires for the camera would be inside the cabin ready to be hooked up. The next step would be to pull that "C" pillar panel and see if any of the camera wires are already there. Are there any wires at position 40 and 60 on the AV control unit connector?

. The next step would be to pull that "C" pillar panel and see if any of the camera wires are already there. Are there any wires at position 40 and 60 on the AV control unit connector?[/quote said:
Yes I can confirm that at the nav unit tree Are wires already at position 40 and 60 I just do not yet know where they run too

Skyffej said:
Yes I can confirm that at the nav unit tree Are wires already at position 40 and 60 I just do not yet know where they run too
Well working from the rear of the car the camera wires go to connector B18 (the large white connector in the pic above) and runs up to B3 located on the lower outside drivers side foot well on all trim levels. From there connector B3 connects to connector M21 and then goes to the AV control unit on the S trim level and for cars with the around view option it goes to the camera module (M32). First you need to check the connector B18 and see if there wires at positions 11,12,13,17, & 18. Then the question is on SV and SL cars without the around view option does the M21 connector go directly to the AV control unit or does it go to connector M32?

body%20side%20LH.png

main%20harness.png

jelloslug said:
Skyffej said:
Well working from the rear of the car the camera wires go to connector B18 (the large white connector in the pic above) and runs up to B3 located on the lower outside drivers side foot well on all trim levels. From there connector B3 connects to connector M21 and then goes to the AV control unit on the S trim level and for cars with the around view option it goes to the camera module (M32). First you need to check the connector B18 and see if there wires at positions 11,12,13,17, & 18. Then the question is on SV and SL cars without the around view option does the M21 connector go directly to the AV control unit or does it go to connector M32?

body%20side%20LH.png

main%20harness.png

That was my thoughts as well, I will not be able to "test" this theory for a while since my wife now has the car. My gut tells me the car is "wired" for around view- less the components of camera, around view control box, but what seems weird is that pos #27 on the nav head does not have a wire yet the block diagram for car with nav / bose / around view shows it.

Time will tell and I will post once I have mine up and running, worst case you have to run two wires from the tail of the car to the nav head.

I will be installing mine tomorrow morning and will update. I will end up running the camera signal up to the back of the Head Unit.

Back