100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's still Winter by the Calender, but Spring is in the air, and my range is back up over 100 miles, after the ~95 to ~97 mile results I got in my three previous range tests over this winter.

101.5 miles yesterday, on the same slow/mountain route where I got all of my 100-~113 mile test results I posted last year.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing new, really, to report about my LEAFs range.

I still see no significant loss of range since I began testing in the Summer of 2011, when the correct adjustments are made for variations in battery and ambient trip temperatures.

One interesting note, however, is that the 101.5 miles (odometer) divided by the 6.3 m/kwh (nav screen) should show up on CW as 16.1 kWh used between "100%" and ~VLBW.

This indicates an increase in battery capacity from last January's 15.7 kWh (my all-time low) CW report for the same battery capacity range. This ~2.5% increase in capacity is exactly what I would expect from a ~20 f warmer battery, and the range test results seem to bear out these results.

But it also indicates that the apparent "phantom" loss of capacity I saw over last summer, as shown in my CW kWh use, and nav screen and dash m/kWh reports, but that did not show up on my range test results, has not recurred this year...yet.

Well, for what its worth, here are the details of my first 100+ miles on a charge experience:

Started interval with 93% on the SOC display.
Ended interval with 11% on the SOC display.
101.2 miles traveled.
6.5 miles/kWh displayed.

Distance was spread over five days of local driving, no freeways, most of it at 45-50 mph on main surface streets.

I'm not sure what to make of the above (it seems to imply an "indicated"(?)battery capacity of 19 kWh, but I'm pleased with it.

I managed to drive 100.5 miles today in my LEAF on a single charge. I made three trips all starting and ending at my house, and I did not hit turtle.

VentusEU said:
Well, for what its worth, here are the details of my first 100+ miles on a charge experience:
Congratulations! I believe yours is the first report of a 2013 LEAF traveling 100 miles on a single charge.
VentusEU said:
I'm not sure what to make of the above (it seems to imply an "indicated"(?)battery capacity of 19 kWh, but I'm pleased with it.
Yes, many of us have the same issue of low apparent capacity based on the gauges. It's very difficult to know if it is real or not.

One question about this part:
VentusEU said:
Is 93% what you see when your LEAF is fully charged? If so, then the 19 kWh you are calculating is not just the available battery capacity, but rather the total battery capacity, which seems very low, particularly for a brand new car. :shock:
Publius said:
I managed to drive 100.5 miles today in my LEAF on a single charge. I made three trips all starting and ending at my house, and I did not hit turtle.
Congratulations!

I'm sure Tony will be along soon to make things official for both of you!

RegGuheert said:
One question about this part:
VentusEU said:
Is 93% what you see when your LEAF is fully charged? If so, then the 19 kWh you are calculating is not just the available battery capacity, but rather the total battery capacity, which seems very low, particularly for a brand new car. :shock:
Based on this post, the new SOC meter shows available SOC, meaning your 19 kWh is available charge indicated, which is not atypical for a LEAF:
bradbissell said:
12 bars = 100%
9 bars = 75%
6 bars = 50%

From this I would assume that 3 bars = 25% and 0 bars = 0%

Just curious if 0% SOC = VLB or Turtle...

VentusEU said:

101.2 miles traveled.
6.5 miles/kWh displayed.

Distance was spread over five days of local driving, no freeways, most of it at 45-50 mph on main surface streets.

I believe you didn't fully charge it. It goes to 98% fairly fast, then the last two percent takes a really long time plus it doesn't really add much at all. So now, I usually charge to just 98% if I need the extra range. The Gids, %, and kW h didn't change from 98% to 100%.

VentusEU said:

101.2 miles traveled.
6.5 miles/kWh displayed.

Welcome aboard, he who shall hereinafter and forever be know as Mr. 45.

Publius said:

Be it known that "Publius" did successfully discharge the duties of the 100 Mile Club per the bylaws and customs of said club, and shall hereunto be know simply as Mr. 46.

It's amazing what driving 100 miles on a single charge and experiencing the low battery warning (and continuing driving) will do for range anxiety. I didn't think I would make it to 100 miles because one of my trips involved expressway speeds up to 65 mph and I accidentally ran the AC for a while. The guess-o-meter, which I've found more optimistic than realistic in most instances, consistently predicted throughout my whole journey that I would fall short of 100, but when I got down to five miles on the guess-o-meter it seemed to turn ultra conservative and I made it to 100 without a problem.

Publius said:
It's amazing what driving 100 miles on a single charge and experiencing the low battery warning (and continuing driving) will do for range anxiety.

Exactly! At LBW, there is still about 15% of the usable energy of a new battery remaining. If you are on pace for a 100 mile distance, that's 15 miles.

Even VLB still has about 6% usable energy remaining.

N1ghtrider said:
Way to go, Spike! Let me know next time you think about going into turtle mode and I will come along and wait with you for the tow truck.

Roy
I have been wanting to "broder" (intentionally run out of charge) my LEAF for awhile and now after 16 months of ownership I have finally achieved Turtle Mode. I was not trying to go for 100 miles on a charge. I was just curious to see how far I could go in VLB mode since I routinely drive when my battery is low.

I REVISED THE REST OF THIS POST FOR ACCURACY
My answer is 10.7 miles, all driving less than 35 mph running shopping errands. Turtle Mode lasted 0.3 miles. Total of 11 miles from when I got the VLB warning.

After a full charge I ran a second broder test to confirm my previous turtling experience. VLB mode lasted 10.4 miles and Turtle Mode was 0.2 miles. Total of 10.6 miles from when I got the VLB warning.

I remain comfortable driving on 1 bar (or less) since now I know how far I can realistically go on VLB but I will never again intentionally broder my LEAF.

This is Turtle Mode
531812_10151353345556898_704759860_n.jpg

This is what happens when you keep driving in Turtle Mode. Notice the Red Battery Icon
164600_10151353345781898_1129497936_n.jpg

spike09 said:
I was just curious to see how far I could go in VLB mode. The answer is 10.7 miles running shopping errands (doing 20 to 35 mph). When I hit Turtle mode I only went 0.3 miles before the car went into Neutral! I was shocked. I was only 1.5 miles from home but I clearly misread MNL posts regarding how far you can go in Turtle Mode.
I'm not sure what posts you have been reading, but Tony's range chart clearly says, "Get Safely Off Road Now. Less than One Half Mile at 25 mph Max."

Tony and I, and I'm sure quite a few others, have said repeatedly that if you see the turtle, find the first safe place to get off the road and call for help. Tony has a good rule on this: When you get LBW note the mileage or reset a trip odometer. When you get VLBW, note the distance between the two, and plan on going no more than half that distance farther. You don't want to see turtle. Your battery doesn't want to see turtle. Whoever you were on the way to see really doesn't want you to see turtle.

Ray

planet4ever said:
spike09 said:
I was just curious to see how far I could go in VLB mode. The answer is 10.7 miles running shopping errands (doing 20 to 35 mph). When I hit Turtle mode I only went 0.3 miles before the car went into Neutral! I was shocked. I was only 1.5 miles from home but I clearly misread MNL posts regarding how far you can go in Turtle Mode.
I'm not sure what posts you have been reading, but Tony's range chart clearly says, "Get Safely Off Road Now. Less than One Half Mile at 25 mph Max."

Tony and I, and I'm sure quite a few others, have said repeatedly that if you see the turtle, find the first safe place to get off the road and call for help. Tony has a good rule on this: When you get LBW note the mileage or reset a trip odometer. When you get VLBW, note the distance between the two, and plan on going no more than half that distance farther. You don't want to see turtle. Your battery doesn't want to see turtle. Whoever you were on the way to see really doesn't want you to see turtle.

Ray
Funny how I never noticed that on the Range Chart considering how many times I have downloaded, edited and printed it out!
Now I feel really, really stupid for running out of juice less than 0.5 miles from home!

10 days ago I picked up my 2013 Leaf SV. Yesterday I refueled after 105.4 miles on a single charge. I have 299 miles total on the car at this point.

This 105.4 mile run included around 15 miles of my fiance driving 73 on the highway, a different 10 mile stretch of blasting the AC on city streets and around 40 miles of highway driving at 55 CC.

But I was practicing coasting in N, and B mode when I was forced to stop. So I am thinking about 50% very ECO driving and 50% normal ish driving.

What I am saying is that 100 seems to be very possible driving around in San Jose.

http://www.rootnaturally.com/leaf.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rootnaturally said:
What I am saying is that 100 seems to be very possible driving around in San Jose.

Welcome to the Club, Mr. 47 !!

Yes, 100 miles is very possible, as is evidenced by your official number. Heck, 151 miles is also possible, as the longest range driver has done (so far). It's also not the kind of range that an average driver (who doesn't drive 55mph) is going to get.

rootnaturally said:
10 days ago I picked up my 2013 Leaf SV. Yesterday I refueled after 105.4 miles on a single charge. I have 299 miles total on the car at this point.

This 105.4 mile run included around 15 miles of my fiance driving 73 on the highway, a different 10 mile stretch of blasting the AC on city streets and around 40 miles of highway driving at 55 CC.

But I was practicing coasting in N, and B mode when I was forced to stop. So I am thinking about 50% very ECO driving and 50% normal ish driving.

http://www.rootnaturally.com/leaf.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I lived in San Jose it was very possible but things must have improved since then because I can only remember a handful of times that I was able to get up to 55 mph!

Today my son and I drove 100mi+ unrefuled. We made one stop about half way to get some photos of the cars sitting in front of a windmill at a wind farm. I used a 2012 Leaf, and my son (17) used his Honda FitEV. It is my birthday today so it was a great present! The FitEV had my son Matt and his gf Maddy in it with Matt driving. I was driving the leaf with my son Chris (14). The odometers were a little off between cars. There were quite a few hills (not large ones) which made the trip interesting.

The leaf average 6.8mi/kWh, FitEV was 7.4
The leaf traveled 104.3 mi, FitEV traveled 102.9mi
The leaf had 10mi on DTE, FitEV had 24mi
The leaf had 1 bar remaining, no LB warning, FitEV had 21% SOC

Outside Temp was 60-68 degrees F

All in all, the FitEV was much more efficient. We both took the exact same route. The FitEV followed me @ about 1000ft back.

It was a great day! Went to out eat after in the FitEV while the leaf charged :)

Here are the photos, route map, and directions:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/46jg8vu70zsuc7l/mUPC_ZOr-O" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KickinLeaf said:
Today my son and I drove 100mi+ unrefuled. We made one stop about half way to get some photos of the cars sitting in front of a windmill at a wind farm. I used a 2012 Leaf, and my son (17) used his Honda FitEV. It is my birthday today so it was a great present! The FitEV had my son Matt and his gf Maddy in it with Matt driving. I was driving the leaf with my son Chris (14). The odometers were a little off between cars. There were quite a few hills (not large ones) which made the trip interesting.

All in all, the FitEV was much more efficient. We both took the exact same route. The FitEV followed me @ about 1000ft back.

It was a great day! Went to out eat after in the FitEV while the leaf charged :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/46jg8vu70zsuc7l/mUPC_ZOr-O" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

your efficiency is amazing! how fast were you driving? even if I was going 35 mph, I dont think I could have approached that

DaveinOlyWA said:
KickinLeaf said:

your efficiency is amazing! how fast were you driving? even if I was going 35 mph, I dont think I could have approached that

Cruise was set to 30mph, got a few honks, but for the most part it went fine, we were able to drive on really wide shoulders to let traffic by as needed :) What I wasn't expecting was the leaf to perform as new, my leaf is over a year old and just turned 15k miles on this trip. No perceivable degradation loss.

Back