Leaf suspension options

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrStian said:
Hahaha! I am not used to this type of forum and was looking at the date people joined this forum! :oops:

You say that there is lowering kits for this car. But where can i find it? Have tried to search, but all i can find is how to lower nissan leaf springs, not the car! ;)
I have not seen any references to "lowering springs". I do know that several LEAF owners have put Tein "Street Basis" coilovers on their LEAF:
http://mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In any case, I personally would be leery of putting lowering springs on a LEAF without also replacing the dampers.

And if I can find springs of the correct dimensions and rate for the LEAF, whatever car the springs fit would probably have aftermarket dampers available for it as well.

Somebody just buy some Sentra b16 springs off Ebay and see if they will fit.....

I think I might have to try it.... :roll:

B16 springs alone or any other suspension components may not work. A 2012 Sentra is 2900 lbs, a 2012 Leaf is 3350lbs. Next possible option to consider would be an Altima ~3200 lbs but I don't think it many suspension components would be interchangeable, just a hunch.

Drivesolo said:
B16 springs alone or any other suspension components may not work. A 2012 Sentra is 2900 lbs, a 2012 Leaf is 3350lbs. Next possible option to consider would be an Altima ~3200 lbs but I don't think it many suspension components would be interchangeable, just a hunch.

How about some Titan front springs all around. :lol:

I wanted to resurrect this thread to continue the discussion on alternative LEAF suspension parts. We know that the p/ns don't tell us anything (the base part number for any particular part, such as a shock, is the same across almost all models). We also know the weights are off and these parts won't perform the same on the LEAF.

HOWEVER, once you go aftermarket, a much wider range of options appear. For instance, you'll find aftermarket coilover setups with both bound and rebound adjustability, right height, etc., that are valved such that they will work well under the LEAF. Assuming, that is, they fit.

So- are there any other suspension or modification nerds out there like me that have tried or are willing to try out aftermarket parts from other Nissans? I have looked at as many pictures of the Versa as I can online, and it appears that the damper assembly is a close match. As close as you can tell without measuring things.

I have a friend with a Versa and am tempted to get him to come over and start measuring parts and taking pictures...

If you want a better handling LEAF please test drive the 2013. Better yet just buy one. The suspension damping has been firmed-up. It eliminates the floaty feel, reduces body roll, and has better yaw response. The steering benefits as well. The effort is slightly higher, with more feedback, and better on-center feel. The 13 feels more sporty and lively than my 11. I can take a high speed ramp at 75mph with complete confidence in a 13. Even at 70mph my 11 does not feel nearly as secure on that same ramp.

kovalb said:
If you want a better handling LEAF please test drive the 2013. Better yet just buy one. The suspension damping has been firmed-up. It eliminates the floaty feel, reduces body roll, and has better yaw response. The steering benefits as well. The effort is slightly higher, with more feedback, and better on-center feel. The 13 feels more sporty and lively than my 11. I can take a high speed ramp at 75mph with complete confidence in a 13. Even at 70mph my 11 does not feel nearly as secure on that same ramp.
I saw your other post. Glad Nissan tightened it up, as my 2011 rides like a marshmallow (and in your scenario, borderline dangerous if evasive action is needed).

That said, if there was someone is Los Angeles (or better yet, Santa Monica), who can set me up with a tuned suspension ride and a set of performance wheels tires for a good deal, I'd like a price quote. I have tinting and leather mods, and just need some tightness. I plan on keeping Mr. LEAF for a long while.

Saw this

http://www.nengun.com/tein/h-tech-springs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this

http://www.nengun.com/tein/street-basis-damper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shipping will kill. But to have a dropped Leaf, awesomeness!

I've spent a fair amount of time in a 2013 SV and I have to say that I experienced little of what you describe... In fact, my 2011 with the Michelin MXV4s, handles better than the 2013 SV I drove... Maybe the upgraded wheels and tires on the 2013 SL will make a difference but I've not been able to drive one so I can't say.

kovalb said:

Last summer I got my hands on the front struts from a B15 Sentra. No good, completely different and can't be modified. Bolt pattern of the top hat was different (not to mention that the Leaf's is female and the Sentra's is male), sway bar mount is different (Leaf has it mounted on the strut, Sentra is off of the LCA) and the Leaf has what appeared to be a spring w/ a greater spring rate. I think it's safe to eliminate B15 and older Sentras. Perhaps an Altima's components?

JimSouCal said:
...my 2011 rides like a marshmallow (and in your scenario, borderline dangerous if evasive action is needed).
Nothing like that. Just not confidence inspiring like the 13 is.

Anybody know if the leaf strut assembly or top hat is the same as a 2012 Versa or Juke? About to pull the trigger on some experimentation. Yes we'll aware of spring rate difference, really just need to know free height of a stock leaf and lowered Versa spring with wire diameters....... If anybody has specs on Tein lowering spring that info would work as well...... Again free height and wire diameter. Any info exist out there yet?

To kovalb - buying another LEAF is out of the question. I'm not working with an unlimited budget. I also doubt the 2013 will provide what I prefer, which is something that is an order or magnitude stiffer.

Drivesolo said:
Last summer I got my hands on the front struts from a B15 Sentra. No good, completely different and can't be modified. Bolt pattern of the top hat was different (not to mention that the Leaf's is female and the Sentra's is male), sway bar mount is different (Leaf has it mounted on the strut, Sentra is off of the LCA) and the Leaf has what appeared to be a spring w/ a greater spring rate. I think it's safe to eliminate B15 and older Sentras. Perhaps an Altima's components?

This is great feedback. I was going to have a friend with a Versa come over for me to crawl around his suspension. I am surprised the sway bar would attach to the struts; that definitely will eliminate a lot of options. It also gives me a lot to go look at.

The LEAF top hat is female? Meaning bolts go through the body and into it? Weird.

From this page:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/how-to-install-lowering-springs-t310650.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On a 2007 Versa it looks like:

1006169of7.jpg

They have a strut-mounted sway bar.

Using this site as a visual:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2011-nissan-leaf-suspension-walkaround.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like a similar setup to the LEAF.

I'll try and get hands-on with my friend's Versa and see if I can take some measurements. It wouldn't save a lot other than the exchange rate and shipping, but it would open up some additional options. All you should have to do to a standard coilover kit is swap out springs to make sure the back end (or both ends) are not too softly sprung since we've got a higher curb weight and a much higher rear axle weight. I think a lot of our handling issues come from the soft rear suspension but that's just my wager at this point.

marcucci said:
This is great feedback. I was going to have a friend with a Versa come over for me to crawl around his suspension. I am surprised the sway bar would attach to the struts; that definitely will eliminate a lot of options. It also gives me a lot to go look at.

The LEAF top hat is female? Meaning bolts go through the body and into it? Weird.

Yep. That's right. instead of the bolts being press fitted onto the top of the hat and going upwards through the holes in the strut tower, there are threaded holes in the top of the hats that loose bolts go downward through the holes in the strut tower. This is the first time I've seen that on a Nissan, but admittedly I haven't worked on any Nissans more recent than 2007 models.

The main problem using a Versa's suspension components on a Leaf is that there's ~1000lb of weight difference between them. Maybe if the dimensions of the struts and hats match then something aftermarket intended for a Versa but w/ 2x the spring rate over stock w/ a wide range of damping control could be attempted.

I'm gonna try to crawl around a L32A Altima that my wife's uncle has and see how the suspension on that looks.

My interest in the Versa is b/c the LEAF was based on the Versa chassis. Indeed if you look at the pictures here:

http://www.nissanversaforums.com/how-tos/1153-how-install-front-strut-brace.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and then here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-LEAF-2011-Front-Left-Strut-ASSY-2050200-/321084889013#vi-content" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can see that both have the "female" top hat. I'm guessing that they are indeed the same.

That said, I contacted K Sport and they said they tried to install their Versa setup on the LEAF and it didn't work (suspension was "completely different"). The person that responded didn't sound like they knew that info first hand, and also didn't sound too confident when I pressed them. It's still worth looking at from everything I have found on the web (images), though.

With the weight difference, if they are form/fit compatible, the "function" (spring rate and damping) can be overcome. As it is, coilover systems such as TEIN or K Sport are usually 3x to 4x stiffer than stock. The springs can also be changed out, in many cases, free of charge from a manufacturer. If not they are usually less than $50 apiece and I am thinking you will only need to change 2 of them. There are also plenty of cheap alternatives for coilover springs which are typically standard sizes. The coilover shock/struts are also usually adjustable enough to compensate for all but a 2x change of the spring rates they were designed for.

All that said I am very optimistic here. I don't see a lot of cheap alternatives for coilovers for the Versa, but even if we can buy a K Sport setup stateside and change out springs, it will be much cheaper than importing a TEIN setup that reuses top hats, doesn't offer camber adjustment, and is painted steel and going to rust in a few years.

This is a great thread. I'm very relieved to find other folks who enjoy more than toodling around town (not that there is anything wrong with that).
I have some experience building my own coil overs for my last car (Datsun 280Z: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/98897-step-by-step-coilover-conversion/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), so I'll likely be doing the same thing with this car, and making a quick write up.

Does anyone know the spring rates that come with the tein or rsr kits by any chance?

Thanks,

Dave

I've purchased (but not yet received or installed) the blitz shocks and springs (92462). They were about 20% more than the teins but I've had good results with blitz gear in the past, and the shocks are monotube and adjustable. spring rates are 5F and 4.5R (kg/mm). I'll post up once I have some feedback.

The thing I am much more keen to work out is a pair of swaybars, in my experience they make a brilliant change to that wallowy feeling without requiring overly hard springs. We have a swaybar factory locally and I will take it by to have it measured up when I get a chance.

Great info, guys.

With all the research I have done, the suspension seems identical in form factor to the Versa. wrt coilovers, my only real concern is the proximity to the rear interior tub to the shock. I need to measure it on the Versa, but it would appear on the LEAF that a 2.25" spring, on a coilover mounted where the rear shock mounts, would fit with zero clearance to the tub. It may require some massaging of the body tub with a BFH. I am not sure I am ready for that. I have to check the Versa, and also available coilover kits, I am not sure if they use a standard 2.25" spring or something smaller.

All that said, there are several Versa coilover kits that us the same spring location in back as stock, and the springs appear to be the same (other than rates).

I have a friend who sells K Sport and he's checking on price and availability for me. I also plan to remove a front and rear spring and check rates, so I can have an idea of what the F/R spring tuning is, so I have an idea of what I'm getting into. I know I want the back stiffer but by how much I'll know better once I have the rates.

Duncan,

Sounds great. Cannot wait to hear back with driving impressions.

Marcucci,

There is always a balance to be struck between sway bars and springs for handling, and it makes sense that everyone is different. But the stiffer the sway bar the less independent the suspension becomes. That being said, it'd be great to have an adjustable setup so one can tune to what they like.

I just got my leaf two days ago, but I might rip the wheels off this weekend and take a look at the front sway bar.

Obviously the rear is going to be much harder to increase roll stiffness without changing the springs, and it will definitely alter the characteristics of the car to change one end in isolation. Ie, if you make the front end stiffer and leave the back end alone the car will want to push, which might be great for some people that it's not my idea of a good time. ;)

Dave

Back