How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telematics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
outermostleaf said:
garsh said:
outermostleaf said:
I am concerned about the possible lack of wiring, however. I may pull the handle off and see if there is a wire there.
If the 2012SV is any indication, there won't be any wires. You'll have to run them yourself.

I am hoping the 2013 will be different because of the different packages of options - I have to pry the car away from my wife long enough to find out. The dealer is supposed to be pulling the handle off of one of theirs to check for me as well. I will let everyone know what we find out.
Do any high-quality wireless cameras exist (maybe a license plate one) that could easily be added to a SV model without the Premium Package? One that could perhaps be able to be tied-in with the existing Leaf display, eliminating the need to run wiring (especially with a leased vehicle). Would LOVE to hear from anyone who has experience with this. Would be great to know that such a possibility even existed ;)

Just wanted to verify so does the single camera work on the 2013 Leaf and is it the same instructions or do you have to do the multi camera?

Well I did some research today on my 2013 S. The main body harness has the same part number for the model with the camera option and without. The hatch harnesses have different part numbers. I popped the interior panel off where the hatch harness plugs into the body harness and sure enough, the body harness connector had many more wires than the hatch harness connector. I'm going to speculate that with the correct hatch harnessed (there are two) the rear camera would be plug and play.

jelloslug said:
Well I did some research today on my 2013 S. The main body harness has the same part number for the model with the camera option and without. The hatch harnesses have different part numbers. I popped the interior panel off where the hatch harness plugs into the body harness and sure enough, the body harness connector had many more wires than the hatch harness connector. I'm going to speculate that with the correct hatch harnessed (there are two) the rear camera would be plug and play.

That would be awesome if someone had the schematics then there is no reason for a plug or running wires to the front.

Also, what cameras would you avoid and which ones do you recommend?

Well I was looking at the wiring diagrams for the 2013 Leaf and the wiring is different with different pin locations for the camera wires. Rumor has it that today I may be installing a camera into a 2013 SV model. I'll pop off the hatch and confirm/deny the wiring exists or if wires have to be run or not. Other than the different pin locations, the wiring appears to be the same. 4 camera wires (power, ground, signal, and shield), and 1 wire that needs to be grounded to tell the Telematics to go into the reverse screen when placed into reverse. If I get that vehicle, or the deal is made with the customer, I'll let you all know.

Also, the parts (camera, painted cover, and harnesses) are much cheaper now. If the camera system can be retrofitted with just parts it looks like it can be done for about $200 with all OEM parts.

Ramius83 said:
Well I was looking at the wiring diagrams for the 2013 Leaf and the wiring is different with different pin locations for the camera wires. Rumor has it that today I may be installing a camera into a 2013 SV model. I'll pop off the hatch and confirm/deny the wiring exists or if wires have to be run or not. Other than the different pin locations, the wiring appears to be the same. 4 camera wires (power, ground, signal, and shield), and 1 wire that needs to be grounded to tell the Telematics to go into the reverse screen when placed into reverse. If I get that vehicle, or the deal is made with the customer, I'll let you all know.
Can you share the pinout for the large joint connector between the body harness and the hatch harness that is located on the drivers side "C" pillar for the 2013 model?

jelloslug said:
Ramius83 said:
Can you share the pinout for the large joint connector between the body harness and the hatch harness that is located on the drivers side "C" pillar for the 2013 model?

Hi Ramius83 : I just picked up an Alpine HCE-C115 for our 2013 Leaf SL. Were you able to successfully decipher the new pinouts for the 2013? I don't want to start pulling things apart before I know whether I will be able to do this. I really really appreciate your detailed instructions above but thank goodness I scrolled down to the end of this thread to see that the pinouts changed. Anything you could do to update things for us 2013 folks giving a crack at this would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!!!

Brian

I just successfully connected a $25 audiovox camera (from Amazon.com) to a new 2013 SL. Night vision is so so but daytime image is good and does not appear reversed. FWIW, if you point the camera towards the front of the car, the image will be "backwards" but if you point it to the back, the image is in the correct orientation. The pins on the headunit connector were exactly the same as the photos posted on this thread. Also, I confirmed the connector pins dead-end in the hatch. So at the very least you'd have to buy the harness and run it through the lift gate into the body of the car- just as much trouble as running one RCA cable IMO.

Maybe the info Ramius got refers to headunits arriving later this year. Here's my headunit:

jawshoeaw said:
I just successfully connected a $25 audiovox camera (from Amazon.com) to a new 2013 SL. Night vision is so so but daytime image is good and does not appear reversed. FWIW, if you point the camera towards the front of the car, the image will be "backwards" but if you point it to the back, the image is in the correct orientation. The pins on the headunit connector were exactly the same as the photos posted on this thread. Also, I confirmed the connector pins dead-end in the hatch. So at the very least you'd have to buy the harness and run it through the lift gate into the body of the car- just as much trouble as running one RCA cable IMO.

Maybe the info Ramius got refers to headunits arriving later this year. Here's my headunit:

OK - so just to confirm before I start stripping wires - you followed Ramius83's instructions posted at the beginning of this thread for a 2012 and it worked for your 2013? I will be running 1 RCA wire to the front - I agree that is probably just as easy as dealing with a harness in the back.

Thank you!!!

outermostleaf said:
jawshoeaw said:

OK - so just to confirm before I start stripping wires - you followed Ramius83's instructions posted at the beginning of this thread for a 2012 and it worked for your 2013? I will be running 1 RCA wire to the front - I agree that is probably just as easy as dealing with a harness in the back.

Thank you!!!
The harness in the back is located in the drivers side "C" piller. It's much easier to get to than the one in the dash.

Going by the 2013 wiring diagrams, I do not see how "jawshoeaw" made my instructions work with a 2013 Model. The wiring pinouts are completely different and not even close. Hell, eve nthe main connector is different. The 2012 model has a 20 pin connector where as the 2013 has a 16 pin connector. "jawshoeaw", can you take a picture of the connector behind the Telematics unit? The customer that purchased the 2013 model that I was supposed to install the camera into ended up buying one with a camera anyways. If I need to, I'll go on the lot and look at a new 2013 model myself and compare. "outermostleaf", go ahead and wire up your camera and install it and run the wires how you want to, to the telematics system. I'll have an answer for you in a couple of days when I get my hands on the connector behing a 2013 model.

Ramius83 said:
Going by the 2013 wiring diagrams, I do not see how "jawshoeaw" made my instructions work with a 2013 Model. The wiring pinouts are completely different and not even close. Hell, eve nthe main connector is different. The 2012 model has a 20 pin connector where as the 2013 has a 16 pin connector. "jawshoeaw", can you take a picture of the connector behind the Telematics unit? The customer that purchased the 2013 model that I was supposed to install the camera into ended up buying one with a camera anyways. If I need to, I'll go on the lot and look at a new 2013 model myself and compare. "outermostleaf", go ahead and wire up your camera and install it and run the wires how you want to, to the telematics system. I'll have an answer for you in a couple of days when I get my hands on the connector behing a 2013 model.

Thanks Ramius83. I will get everything wired up short of the telematics hookup - and will just bring an RCA plug to that point. I really appreciate your help!

Took the rear hatch and side panels apart and did not see a harness with extra wires. Can someone provide a pic if possible.

jmeitz said:
Took the rear hatch and side panels apart and did not see a harness with extra wires. Can someone provide a pic if possible.
This is the panel that I removed:

leaf%20rear%20panel.JPG

There are two connectors there, one of which had several extra wires that did not continue on to the hatch harness.

Ramius83 said:

Sorry - I didn't see your post until late. My connector looks exactly like the one in your pictures but I'll try to take a picture tomorrow. What is the "telematics" unit - is that the radio/nav thing? The camera mod works great BTW, but I'm stuck with the damn blinking airbag light. Tried all the instructions to reset it but no luck. Might have to have the dealer do it, but I'm afraid they'll ask why it went off in the first place.... Maybe some of those wires shouldn't have been cut :shock:

Also - you talk about a "twenty pin connector" but in your pictures, there are a lot more than 20 pins. Are we talking about two different things here? I made my splices on the connector that goes directly into the back of the big box held in by four screws, what I'd call the head unit. It looks like a total of 40 possible pins, although many are not filled.

jelloslug said:
jmeitz said:
This is the panel that I removed:

leaf%20rear%20panel.JPG

There are two connectors there, one of which had several extra wires that did not continue on to the hatch harness.

I will need to look again. That's the panel I pulled off.

jawshoeaw said:
Sorry - I didn't see your post until late. My connector looks exactly like the one in your pictures but I'll try to take a picture tomorrow. What is the "telematics" unit - is that the radio/nav thing? The camera mod works great BTW, but I'm stuck with the damn blinking airbag light. Tried all the instructions to reset it but no luck. Might have to have the dealer do it, but I'm afraid they'll ask why it went off in the first place.... Maybe some of those wires shouldn't have been cut :shock:

Also - you talk about a "twenty pin connector" but in your pictures, there are a lot more than 20 pins. Are we talking about two different things here? I made my splices on the connector that goes directly into the back of the big box held in by four screws, what I'd call the head unit. It looks like a total of 40 possible pins, although many are not filled.

Yeah, that was a typo, sorry. I meant the 2013, according to the Nissan FSM, states it is a 32 pin connector (16 pins across), and the 2012 has a 40 pin connector (20 pins across). If you turned the ignition on with the center stack out, or the passenger airbag indicator light unplugged, that is the reason for the blinking airbag light. Just swing by the dealership, don't say anything about adding the rear view camera, and tell them the light is blinking. They should just reset it, at least, that is what we do.

16 =32 20=40 I kinda figured that. I'll check tonight after work. I tried the dealership where I bought the car. $108 if the code suggests user error. Will try another dealer. What happens if I pull the HV safety and the 12v battery for a few hours? Or can I pull the airbag ECU? Tried an Autozone $250 scanner - wouldn't talk to Leaf.

How can this be so hard?!? Is there a <$100 "box" that could talk to the Leaf? It probably wouldn't work on the airbag brain though.

I have a 2013 Leaf Wiring Diagram if anyone is interested. It is 5mb in size 375 pages. Anything you ever want to know about the audio/video of a Leaf

Back