what other car do you drive?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My interest started in school when I my college would compete in SAE Mini-baja and Formula SAE. So autoX always seemed to be a natural fit for an automotive activity after graduation. I've been a Nissan tuner most of the time. I did the Euro-tuner route w/ an old 190E Benz and more recently w/ my old E46 Bimmer (which the Leaf replaces) but RWD JDM cars have always been my thing. Watching Initial D over the years has really messed me up in my automotive inclinations.

What SCCA class do you run in when you autoX? Is your car in a Mod class? Man... a boosted 800 hp vehicle as light as yours (under 3000 lbs) must be a handful in autoX. Do you dial down the boost for autoX? Definitely takes a deft hand and foot to dodge the cones w/ that beast I'll bet. ;) Do you compete in regional events? It's been a few years since I've competed. I pretty much only go to practice days now when I do. Lots more runs and we always get a chance to swap cars freely.

with my old set-up, I was in Street Modified.

I was a newbie, and trying to learn and get some experience. Not competitive at all. I got killed by the highly skilled players.

Plus the 3582r turbo was too big.....and too laggy for AutoX.

The build we're doing......not sure what class we'll fall into.
Adding new hood, fenders,ground effects.....adding a second set of 4 port injectors, and a second tank for E85 or race gas....lol

Anyways, I know that the 2871r turbo is small enough, which will give me tons of tq down low and very responsive in AutoX compared to the 3582r. The compound-turbo set-up will be around 45psi or more total boost. I don't think I even need to adjust the boost during AutoX since the big turbo will not even kick in during the course. Only the small one will be on boost most of the time in AutoX. But of course, we'll adjust accordingly the boost if needed. We'll see what happens...

2006 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. Two of the best cars I've ever owned.

615544_4786688945951_1379533853_o.jpg

I don't drive it much anymore, so the battery usually dies and the LEAF has to go revive it. :)

Only when the LEAF won't move it, haul it, or make it...

2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
2007 Dodge 2500 CTD 2wd
2001 Dodge 2500 CTD 4wd
1990 Dodge Ramcharger (what's left of it)

Josh

I bought a Prius in 2005 and converted it to a Hymotion plug-in in 2008 http://www.roperld.com/Science/Prius/priushymotionconversion.htm. I sold it for half price to my granddaughter when I got the 2012 LEAF.

I bought a ZAP Xebra PK electric pickup in 2007 and drove it for ~5000 miles before I gave it away in 2010. I tried to convert from gel-lead batteries to LiFePO4, but failed. http://www.roperld.com/science/ZAPXebraPKRoper.htm

I bought a Toyota Highlander Hybrid in 2006 and am now converting it to a Plug-In Supply 5-kWh plug in. http://www.roperld.com/science/hihyplugin.htm

I leased a 2012 Nissan LEAF SL in March 2012 and plan to trade it in for a 2013 LEAF SV+2-packages in 2013.

SKY888 said:
bowthom said:
OK, I'll jump in.
I have a 66 Mustang that I've owned since high school. Paid just $875 for it in 1970. Since then it has had 300k miles on it 3 engines several seasons of drag racing.
Current Equip:
302 cu, 10.5:1 compression, ported & polished HiPerf heads, Isky cam, Edlebrock intake, 650 cfm dbl pump Holly
351W exh manifolds with 2.25 in pipe & turbo mufflers.
10.5" "Boss 302" clutch
BW "SVO" T5 trans
9" rear end 3.00:1 posi
4 puck GT disk brakes front and 11"x3" rear drum brakes
Big sway bars front and rear
Traction bars
Magnum 500 wheels

Had to tame the tuning when I got married so the wife could drive it. I installed the 3.00 gears, a lesser cam, retuned the ignition profile and carb.
It still knocks out the 1/4 in 14 seconds @ 104 mph but cruises nicely and gets 20 mpg highway. Not near that around town ;)

what's your time at the quarter mile when using a more agressive cams/tune/set-up?

My best time was 12.2 @ 108, not much faster but the hole shot was great. I was still driving it on the street so that's as far as I took it. Not bad for normally aspirated. Had to carry street slicks to the strip, un-cap the headers and change the secondary jets then change back before driving home.

Since we can include bikes... These are my rides when I something w/ more pickup...

DSC_0101.JPG

IMG_20120930_095730.jpg

I'm sorry, EdmondLeaf, but it is against all the rules to post that picture without a description!! :)

Please provide one post haste! :D

The Leaf is my wife's daily driver, and I use it when I can. The rest of the time, I drive my modified '68 Porsche 911TR-look project car if I don't need to haul anything. It is street legal and has won regional PCA autocross class championships the last 4 seasons since I put it together in 2009. It was featured on the cover of the PCA-SDR newsletter last month (photo courtesy of and copyrighted by Alex Speaks Photography):

FebcoverWW_zpsbb6108b1.jpg

It is a Karmann-built sunroof coupe, bastardized with an '82 Euro Carrera 3-liter (225HP) NA fuel-injected engine and a later type 915 5-speed transaxle w/ factory ZF limited slip diff. Here's a shot of it on course @ Qualcomm stadium, a very nice AX venue here in San Diego:

07_02_11AX_sm_zps69902d9f.jpg

When I have a heavy-duty task, I call on my 2001 F250 PSD. Here's an earlier shot of it w/ my enclosed trailer after unloading my previous 911 (a '73 911E modified beyond RS spec) at Streets of Willow Springs for a time trial back in 2003 or so):

trailerSOW_zps898600a7.jpg

When my wife decided she had to have a Leaf, I sold my Ultima GTR to finance it. It was the fastest car I have ever owned--midengine small-block Chevy LS3 ASA-spec V-8 and G50 Porsche 5-speed transaxle in a 2400-lb. tube chassis w/ fiberglass bodywork:

MF1A7029_Custom.jpg

I used to go to the drags with my friends when I was young in the late '60s, but have gravitated towards driving on road racing tracks in HPDE and time trial events in my old age, and enjoy the challenge of getting up to speed in a hurry on AX courses. Besides my Porsche club experience, I have run in SCCA Solo in a number of classes and trophied at the National Tour level in CM driving my Zink Z-10c Formula Ford back in 2002. This is a shot of it on street tires in a practice session when we were first shaking it down. We ran the spec-size Hoosier and Goodyear slicks in competition:

ff_sg2.jpg

Over the past years I have also run a Lotus 7 clone with an S2000 Honda engine in DM:

S2kslicks.jpg

and a LeGrand Mk.18 DSR in BM (probably the "quickest", but not the "fastest" car i have owned):

legrand6.jpg

After selling the Ultima, I picked up a 1991 Porsche factory-built 964 Carrera Cup car for big-track events, It raced in Europe until 1999 and was imported and club-raced in the USA since then, and is not street-legal. It was updated and modified over the years with 1998 993 GT2 Evo bodywork, a 3.8L air-cooled, fuel-injected flat-six with Motec engine management, and a 6-speed G50 transaxle:

IMG_6012.jpg

DSCN3361.jpg

I'm getting to old for this stuff these days, though, and may just sell the trailer and both 911s and consolidate into one street-legal semi-luxo-barge like the new 911GT3 w/ 7-speed PDK transmission and A/C, so I can shift with my fingers and stay cool on those hot summer days at the track. :D

TT

jopickens said:
^nice! What's mounted to the tripod?

It's a Zoom H1 recorder w/ a "dead cat".

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H1-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B003QKBVYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362899317&sr=8-1&keywords=zoom+h1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was recording the MV's exhaust note to use as a notification sound on my Android phone.

Hello,
Well..........if we are including motorcycles.........
1976 750 honda....... Yeah, I'm old school. Pretty much stock (inc original chain) except for the backrest / luggage rack I made out of stainless, the custom, so I can ride longer (not pictured), seat I made with gel and of course the windshield.

750.jpg

OK, here's the seat
750a.jpg

Back