Onboard media data storage space

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlsoaz

I was reflecting the other day that it would be interesting as I charge in my garage if I could also transfer onboard some internet radio station broadcasts for later listening, and perhaps some common mp3 files. This would also help me avoid bringing CDs into the car. A lot of this is just my laziness (I don't have an mp3 player and haven't figured out my smartphone on this matter) and so I decided to hold off on suggesting this until I'd thought about it a bit more.

Then I saw that the latest Bentley is coming with something like 64 GB of built-in onboard storage, so it got me to thinking. Maybe the Leaf already has this, or maybe it's not a good suggestion... just putting it out there.

jl

i play pandora, mlb radio and anything else on my iPhone straight through the bluetooth audio in my LEAF.

songs also display on the central console screen.

the best thing is radio of baseball from anywhere in the US.

jlsoaz said:
I was reflecting the other day that it would be interesting as I charge in my garage if I could also transfer onboard some internet radio station broadcasts for later listening, and perhaps some common mp3 files.

Have you tried this using a Thumb Drive in the USB port...

iamwjh said:
jlsoaz said:
I was reflecting the other day that it would be interesting as I charge in my garage if I could also transfer onboard some internet radio station broadcasts for later listening, and perhaps some common mp3 files.

Here's 32GB that'll barely stick out. You'll still have to take it into the house to update the contents :( :lol: :lol:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruze...=UTF8&qid=1361565128&sr=8-2&keywords=32gb+usb

The Volt has a hard drive (or other format) built in that will let you rewind the radio & will rip CDs. I believe you can also save songs from the radio to the drive.

That would be cool! Wish my LEAF had that built in.

Philip

iamwjh said:
jlsoaz said:

Thanks folks,

The USB drives and cell phone ideas seem good, but I think more what I had in mind is to get rid of the manual aspects of this and give the storage onboard the vehicle some tie-ins to update capability, whether through wifi or carwings/cell or perhaps there is sufficient communication bandwidth built into the charge port process (i.e.: one could reload data as one is recharging with power). Maybe I should revise the original post suggestion and title.

I started out using a 32GB low-profile USB memory stick, but very quickly found that I much preferred a 64GB SD card in my Android phone, connected via Bluetooth. The main downside to the USB stick is that you have to remember to take it out to update it (which I do frequently) whereas my phone's always with me and thus easier to update. I have my choice of media player Apps on the phone, right now I'm using Poweramp, you're stuck with the LEAF's media player if you use a USB memory stick., And, with a pair of headphones, I can take the media player on the Android with me (and I do when I go running; I shove it in my pocket). I even have a Brik "Bluetooth Stage" with digital output on the big system at home, where I occasionally use my Android as background music, so I've gotten a lot of use out of that 64GB card in my phone; 4200+ selected tracks, and counting!

For these reasons I much prefer Bluetooth audio as opposed wanting on-board media storage in the LEAF.

Back