Towable Turbine Powered CHAdeMO Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hpage said:
Plus, I suspect it sounds like the Batmobile!

You can listen to a similar turbine here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Y3YIwRN_o[/youtube]

Or a batmobile replica with a MUCH larger turbine:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZSBpFMWk-M[/youtube]

mwalsh said:
I am in awe of what you do.
Me too. For a moment, I was speechless.

I was pretty happy just to just use the EVSE upgrade, but now I want microturbine for my house that runs on natural gas so it can charge up batteries if the Sun is behind clouds for too long.

If I had well water, or a mass of cisterns, maybe I could just disconnect from the city altogether, and just run on sun and natural gas. Sorta kidding, but sorta not.

Because that's a long drive! If had a few extra days with nothing to do, I might, but lately there are more projects than time available. Maybe soon!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Because that's a long drive! If had a few extra days with nothing to do, I might, but lately there are more projects than time available. Maybe soon!

-Phil
Shoot ... I wouldn't miss that So Cal meeting for ANYTHING. I'm still bumed we can't make it up to the next bay area meet-up, just to see the Chademo trailer.

Yes, I think his real name is Chief Leaf! :lol:

Sorry, it's the wine. :oops:

Ingineer said:
And for those that don't know, the Japanese Guy in the picture is Hidetoshi Kadota, Nissan's Chief Vehicle Engineer for the Leaf. (CVE) He had a lot of questions for me!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Guys:

The output inverter is controlled my a custom microcontroller based system that allows interface either to the Leaf directly while driving, or to a CHAdeMO equipped EV while parked. It does not bypass any safety systems anywhere, and uses the CHAdeMO protocol properly to charge the vehicle (parked only).

-Phil

I'm curious how you pulled off the CHAdeMO CAN communication. Is that something that you can talk about? (I understand if not)

I'd like to make a system to add level 3 charging capability to other converted EVs, with safe BMS integration of course, but it seems buying into the CHAdeMO organization in order to legally use the standard might be cost prohibitive for us little guys.

I wonder if this has been brought up, but remind me why this wont work (except for the high cost of course):

One of these
http://www.manzanitamicro.com/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=42&category_id=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is capable of providing the necessary DC voltage to charge the batteries through the quick charge port and they can draw/output presumably 10kW. Not quite quick charge, but 3x the built in charger.
Furthermore, the PFC-50 weighs only 32 pounds, so you could lug it around in your LEAF without impacting range negatively.

You could feed the PFC-50 from a J1772 standard L2 connector. Provided that the CHaDeMO on the other side
could be handled without paying big $$$ for the official protocol. I assume Ingineer has already solved this problem?

You would in essence have a portable 10 kW charger that plugs into any L2 outlet. Through the J1772 protocol, power draw on this end could be easily regulated, so the unit would draw whatever the L2 can provide (I assume at least 6.6 kW, but some can go much higher?) and feed it to the QC port.

klapauzius said:
I wonder if this has been brought up, but remind me why this wont work (except for the high cost of course):
Because the Manzanita Micro chargers are not isolated from the AC line. This would cause the Leaf to immediately open it's main contactor and halt charging.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
klapauzius said:
Because the Manzanita Micro chargers are not isolated from the AC line. This would cause the Leaf to immediately open it's main contactor and halt charging.

-Phil

Presumably one could find a similar charger with isolation? I guess this would involve some sort of transformer, which would make it a bit heavier, but maybe still feasible?

klapauzius said:
Ingineer said:
klapauzius said:

-Phil

Presumably one could find a similar charger with isolation? I guess this would involve some sort of transformer, which would make it a bit heavier, but maybe still feasible?

Run the same charger with a 1:1 transformer and its isolated, one problem is that it probably doesn't matter.

Seems to me if the genset is on rubber and the charger is on rubber there wouldn't be much to sense.

Ah well.

rmay635703 said:
Seems to me if the genset is on rubber and the charger is on rubber there wouldn't be much to sense.

Ah well.
I suppose you'd also use a rubber trailer hitch? And of course if a human touched both the trailer and the car, he could die. Minor consideration though... :shock:

-Phil

Once again, Phil was ahead of his time...

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/04/26/etvmotors-announces-funding-for-range-extended-ev-w-micro-turbin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
Once again, Phil was ahead of his time...

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/04/26/etvmotors-announces-funding-for-range-extended-ev-w-micro-turbin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

April 26, 2009 was over four years ago. What has been going on since then? Surely there should be some sort of development in 4 years.

Back