Tucson area Leafers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted this DCFC on Plugshare.com, but the address location for the Shell gas station puts it a little bit north of the actual location on the map. It's so hard to find the address for the place, and Plugshare requires a street address to put it on the map. If somebody can find a more accurate address that put it on the right place on the map, feel free to do so.

It's too bad that there is not a single DCFC in Tucson. If there were one, a day round trip to Tucson from Phoenix would become possible with the LEAF.

Anyone considering going to the January 8 meeting in Phoenix or Scottsdale? It's a 6-7 hour round trip for me in my HCV (longer of course in my Leaf if I do it that way), so I might not go, but just wondering about others.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11043" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...I want to take this opportunity to announce that we will host an open house in the Phoenix area on Tuesday, January 8th. I am working with Tim Gallagher, who I think most of the west coast MNL people know well, to arrange this event. I will come back to you shortly with the details, but you can count on Andy Palmer attending, as will Billy Hayes, the newly appointed Vice President of Global Sales for the Nissan LEAF. Tim, Dave Reuter and I also will be there. Just as a heads up, this may be a breakfast event due to the various schedules that we’re attempting to juggle. If so, we would start at around 8 or 8:30 a.m. Let me know your thoughts on that. Tentative location is the Valley Ho in Scottsdale. Tim will have a quick charger on hand for those who require it.

In line with the Phoenix event, Chelsea – as a part of her advisory board efforts – has asked a few member to help ensure that the right questions are asked. I believe that Tony Williams and Phil Sadow are among those she is working with on that topic....

Good day. I am considering selling my 2011 Leaf and leasing a new one. Anyone have any experience buying or selling a used Leaf here in Tucson. Anyone have a feel for the market? Thanks!

DesertDenizen said:
Good day. I am considering selling my 2011 Leaf and leasing a new one. Anyone have any experience buying or selling a used Leaf here in Tucson. Anyone have a feel for the market? Thanks!

I tried to trade in my Leaf for a Volt. They would only give me $14k. I'm not sure about the used market, and I didn't try Carmax.

Hi everyone:

I see there is a Leaf parked at the private residence on University next to Epic cafe, with a Prius next to it. Just wondering if they are on this board.

addendum: they pulled out a little while later and I happened to be on the phone outside so waved to them.

Hi everyone,

I live in Tucson and am strongly considering leasing a Leaf and would like to get some input. My plan is to use the Leaf for city driving/commuting around town. How much do the extremely hot summer days affect the Leaf in terms of reduced range? Is parking the car in direct sun a bad idea (especially in the summer)? Also, has anyone here leased a Leaf from either of the Nissan dealerships in town, and, if so, how was your experience?

Thanks!

-evme

I would only sign on for a 2 year lease.
The battery cannot take the heat and will loose capacity rapidly.
Parking it in the sun is bad for the battery, but if you are leasing it won't matter much.
It's a great car for scooting around town though.
You shouldn't have a problem with range in two years. You may see a reduction in range during the winter, but not so much in the summer.

evme said:
Hi everyone,

I live in Tucson and am strongly considering leasing a Leaf and would like to get some input. My plan is to use the Leaf for city driving/commuting around town. How much do the extremely hot summer days affect the Leaf in terms of reduced range? Is parking the car in direct sun a bad idea (especially in the summer)? Also, has anyone here leased a Leaf from either of the Nissan dealerships in town, and, if so, how was your experience?

Thanks!

-evme

Mostly seconding the advice you've received:

- Go with 2 year lease if you can get it (I was not able to, but since then maybe Nissan has relented a bit?) Leasing and not buying is important to my satisfaction.
- I think the leasing deals if anything have improved since a few months ago when I did it.
- Vanessa at Jim Click has seemed very good. Michelle at Thoroughbred also might be good, others can say.
- For the purposes you describe, the car is excellent.
- Will you be keeping a 2nd car for longer trips? Do you only have one car at present? In that case, your insurance and total expenditures may go up. For around-town only a Leaf I think is a great answer. If you have a more complex equation, then it is I think a personal calculation and considerations-balancing to decide what combination of cars you want. I think a Leaf can still work out as a stand-alone car for many people. My own view here is influenced heavily by my not being local to Tucson (I live down by Nogales, no public charge stations around, different situation than some other cars here).
- ask questions before the sale about how you will fund installation of your garage charger. Note that you don't *have to* get one one (you can trickle charge with the extension cord that comes with the vehicle) but you may well want to, and you may be eligible for some sort of deal or program.
- once you get the car, asking questions here in the newbie area is very helpful to getting started using your car.
- Parking in the summer Arizona sun for long periods is a no-no. Even if you're just leasing, there's not really a good reason to do it, unless it simply can't be helped, on rare occassion, but even then I would try hard not to do it. An issue would be shopping or working and parking in certain parking lots all day (as one might a gasoline car, without even thinking). This is to be avoided, but probably you can find a way to avoid this.
- Charging while also sitting in the direct Arizona summer sun would be very bad.
- there is another discussion group here to know about:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/evtucson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Overall, I'm satisfied. I think the first-inclination advice you got from the other folks was pretty good.

This is going on on Wednesday, down here by Nogales. I sent out this email, so copying to MNL. Please note that it is not necessary or intended for anyone to come... I don't know that it would be even that helpful (outside of us still needing to see if we can get one commercial public EVSE rep), but I wanted to keep Tucson folks informed, just really as a matter of general interest.

Subject: Update on public EV charge stations in Santa Cruz County, to be discussed at Study Session at Santa Cruz County Arizona Board Meeting, February 27, 1:30 PM

Hello everyone:

I'd like to offer an update.

To my knowledge, this is the address of the meeting:

>>http://www.co.santa-cruz.az.us/board/index.html
>>2150 N Congress Dr.
>>Nogales, AZ 85621
>>(520) 375-7800

The plan is:

- I'll speak for just a few minutes (My role here is to start the
conversation, not to ramble on).
- Colleen Crowninshield of the Federal Clean Cities program will
present.
- Possibly a representative of GoE3 will be coming down to give the
point of view of a commercial installer
- Jerry Asher, an experienced Leaf driver from Tucson, will also be
here to say a few words.

I've never been to a board meeting, but I"m assuming also we will be
there to answer questions. Also, Jerry and I will have our Nissan
Leafs present in case anyone wants a ride for a few miles (but keeping
in mind that there is no place nearby quickly to refuel the vehicles,
so the test rides will be very limted.... just to give a better idea
of things to those who want a better idea).

Note that I think there may be a story coming out in the Nogales
International on Tuesday regarding my car.

A general comment from me:

My own ideal near-term outcome, over the next year, would be to see
one or two additional stations between Nogales and Tucson, without
spending any County money. Rather I'd like to hope that we can
initiate some discussions between some commercial for-profit folks in
SC County and some commercial for-profit EV Charge Stations
installers.

For example, perhaps one or more of the local hotels and resorts would
consider an install, or perhaps something at one of the major retailer
parking lots, or near the Pilot station at exit 12.

My goal is not to try to suggest that we need dozens of charge
stations (as we see in Phoenix and Tucson) since after all there are
almost no plug-in vehicles down here. Nor do I want to suggest
spending taxpayer money. Rather, I'd just like to suggest that if we
"get on the map" (please see attached) then this might be a relatively
low-cost way to bring in a bit more business from Tucson.

Sincerely,

Josh

Nogales article and meeting tomorrow:

http://www.nogalesinternational.com/news/ev-proponent-seeks-charging-stations-in-scc/article_2eee8922-8028-11e2-a29e-0019bb2963f4.html#user-comment-area" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:21 am | Updated: 8:32 am,
Tue Feb 26, 2013.
By Kathleen Vandervoet For the Nogales International
EV proponent seeks charging stations in SCC

Hi -

Has anyone worked out any agreement with any of the hotels or parking lots or car rental agencies near Tucson International Aiport? I'm not focused on short term charging but on long-term park-to-fly or park-to-rent where I can come back to a charged vehicle at a covered spot? For that, Level I would be absolutely fine, with covered or indoor parking mandatory, and maybe very slight attention from the attendant.

I wanted to report that I have recently had a good experience with parking my Leaf at the "Fast Park & Relax" near the airport:

http://www.thefastpark.com/location/tucson/

It only costs about $5.x per day and there are two spots near the front of the lot that have a Level 1 conventional outlet nearby that they usually use for vending machines and other. They are very polite and willing to let EV users use these spots, but they can use some notice, so if you know that you are going to be flying, and that you would like to return to a Leaf that has a bit of charge in it, this might be a way to handle it. They provided me with a separate receipt for my keys and stowed the charge cord in the trunk when the charge was done.

This spot was recommended to me by a Volt driver and they had in conversation already confirmed that they were interested to provide this service, if they could. I would not say they are trained in plugging in or anything like that, so I think there is definitely an element of needing to meet them halfway, but the manager seems interested to try to meet the challenge if possible. I intend to use them for all my airport parking needs going forward unless or until something else comes up that is EV-oriented.

A couple of times recently (including today) I have parked my Leaf in order to rent a gasoline car for some longer-range or more flexible driving, but I don't yet have a recommendation as to which agency seems good. Hertz did rent me a Prius for about $40 one day.

Azrich said:
I've heard from Jason T near Vail. Other Tucson LEAF buyers, please introduce yourself. This is an area where we can discuss local LEAF events, dealerships, charging stations, solar energy, --- anything LEAF.

I've been in touch with Bookmans Bookstores and they plan at least one ChargePoint station at each store. They are already installed at the Grant and Ina stores in Tucson. They will be installing one at the Speedway store before fall.

Here's to many LEAFs cruising the streets of Tucson!!!

2013-08-03
Some updates -
The GoE3/Eaton fast-charger behind Bookman's Sports on Speedway is there, but it is not functioning. It doesn't seem to be possible to get reliable information as to when it might go live.

There is a fast-charger (blink?) going in behind the ARCO station at Speedway and I-10. That one I'm told is also physically there. Expectations are not too much longer (a week or two?) before going live. If it does, and if it works, it will be the first working DC Fast-charger in Tucson (unless somehow the Bookman's charger goes live and actually works reliably).

I am getting my info from private discussion, and some past visits to the sites, and the EV Tucson google group here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/evtucson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
including this recent post by Jerry Asher on the ARCO station:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/evtucson/VAl_pFkHzR0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, I guess the bottom line is the race is on, and coming to a close, to have the first properly working Fast-charge station in Tucson.

In theory, Tucson now has it's first working Fast Charger, in the parking lot behind Bookman's Sports at 3330 E Speedway. The hardware is Eaton and I'm told it's not yet fully up to speed (only 20 kW instead of 40 kW) due to some sort of lingering issue. Anyway, multiple other issues seem to have been worked out.

The charger can be seen fairly quickly by using the map function at chargepoint.com by zooming to the address. Also, filtering by fast-chargers only tends to make it stand out - lots of fast chargers in other towns, one lone working fast charger at present in Tucson.

I say in theory because I don't know for certain if this charger will prove to be reliable.

jlsoaz said:
In theory, Tucson now has it's first working Fast Charger, in the parking lot behind Bookman's Sports at 3330 E Speedway. The hardware is Eaton and I'm told it's not yet fully up to speed (only 20 kW instead of 40 kW) due to some sort of lingering issue. Anyway, multiple other issues seem to have been worked out.

The charger can be seen fairly quickly by using the map function at chargepoint.com by zooming to the address. Also, filtering by fast-chargers only tends to make it stand out - lots of fast chargers in other towns, one lone working fast charger at present in Tucson.

I say in theory because I don't know for certain if this charger will prove to be reliable.

The L2 charger at the Bookmans Sports Exchange is operational and is free, just like the L2 chargers at other Bookmans locations. However, the L3 charger, which I hear is now operational, may not be free; it may, however, be subsidized by Bookmans.

I just bought a used 2011 SL in the middle of August, and I have to say that I simply love this car! :mrgreen:

Also, I've contacted Parking & Transportation Services (PTS) at the University of Arizona to see if they will subsidize the three Blink charging stations available in the parking garages on campus. PTS told me that the University paid for the installation of the three Blink charging stations, but that Blink manages and charges for use of the three charging stations. I was really surprised to find out that the University does not subsidize the charging rates for University employees who drive electric vehicles to work, especially considering that the 2nd Street parking garage has a large PV solar array on its roof deck.

I'll fight the good fight at the University, and I'll let you know if those chargers become subsidized in the near future (though you'll still have to pay to get into the parking garages if you don't already have a pass)!

Hi FerretPewPew:

Really good to hear about your love for the used car. Where did you get it, at one of the local dealers? How many miles?

Regarding the 3 U of A stations I see in garages on the Blink map, I've used two of them, just once or twice, and have been satisfied, particularly in that they are garaged and so are a haven from the extreme sun and heat during certain hours. I remember one time deciding not to charge at Bookman's Grant/Campbell, on a hot sunny day with no shade, and driving over to U of A and getting a charge.

I haven't used them often, but do believe that parking is free for EVs that are charging. I"m not 100% sure of this though since I think mainly I've been there when the gates are open to all. It would be useful to get this information nailed down one way or the other, as to whether EV charging is vouchered to be free of parking fees during the hours when the lot is not normally free to others. I do think it should be free.

On billing for refueling itself, my personal view is that I do not resent paying Blink/UA a few dollars here or there for a charge. Blink network's operator Ecotality is nearly bankrupt in part because of the modest fuel revenues and they just recently lowered the bill from $1.50 per hour to $1.00 per hour, so it's not a huge amount of money one pays for refueling, in my view. There is a capital cost that goes into installing a station like that (wild guess - ~$5k-$12k, including ). Just to acknowledge, I disagree on this point with some other drivers who resent the cost.

There are some issues in and around the cost that I would like to see worked out. For example, if there are two parking spaces laid out next to it and conventions are followed amongst drivers (such as putting some sort of ok-to-unplug-me cardboard note on the dashboard) then under certain circumstances this would help drivers coordinate when it would absolutely be fine to unplug one EV and plug in the one next to it. I haven't had enough experience or thinking yet to figure out where I think Blink or the U of A might want to be in that discussion.

So you have the information, here is a link to the google group where there is also Tucson EV discussion and there is a September 29 event at the Bookman's (3330 Speedway version) parking lot (if you don't already know about it)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/evtucson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://action.pluginamerica.org/o/2711/p/salsa/event/common/public/?event_KEY=80690" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a little confused now though because National Plug-In Day seems to be Sep. 23, so I'm not sure why they're doing the Tucson event Sep. 29.

http://events.pluginday.org/p/salsa/event/common/public/index.sjs?event_KEY=68215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regarding Bookman's Sports parking lot at 3330 Speedway, from what Dave Gelbert wrote today on the google group, the DCFC has been reliably in operation since Thursday, so it looks like that situation is perhaps addressed, but it has been a long haul to get to that point, .... I guess with each day that passes we can call it a bit more solid.

FerretPewPew said:
I just bought a used 2011 SL in the middle of August, and I have to say that I simply love this car! :mrgreen:

Also, I've contacted Parking & Transportation Services (PTS) at the University of Arizona to see if they will subsidize the three Blink charging stations available in the parking garages on campus. PTS told me that the University paid for the installation of the three Blink charging stations, but that Blink manages and charges for use of the three charging stations. I was really surprised to find out that the University does not subsidize the charging rates for University employees who drive electric vehicles to work, especially considering that the 2nd Street parking garage has a large PV solar array on its roof deck.

I'll fight the good fight at the University, and I'll let you know if those chargers become subsidized in the near future (though you'll still have to pay to get into the parking garages if you don't already have a pass)!

Hi Josh,

My used leaf has about 26K miles, is only down two bars, and I bought it from Thoroughbred Nissan.

Unfortunately, the UA does not provide free parking for the charging stations, so you will end up having to pay for your time spent in the garage unless you go during a time when the gates are up. The garage that is closest to where I work is not issuing any new parking permits, but I'm hoping to talk with someone about making an exception since it is one of only three garages on campus with a charger--I'm surprised that more chargers are not available on campus or that more spots are not designated in the garages near the chargers for EVs.

jlsoaz said:
Hi FerretPewPew:

Really good to hear about your love for the used car. Where did you get it, at one of the local dealers? How many miles?

Regarding the 3 U of A stations I see in garages on the Blink map, I've used two of them, just once or twice, and have been satisfied, particularly in that they are garaged and so are a haven from the extreme sun and heat during certain hours. I remember one time deciding not to charge at Bookman's Grant/Campbell, on a hot sunny day with no shade, and driving over to U of A and getting a charge.

I haven't used them often, but do believe that parking is free for EVs that are charging. I"m not 100% sure of this though since I think mainly I've been there when the gates are open to all. It would be useful to get this information nailed down one way or the other, as to whether EV charging is vouchered to be free of parking fees during the hours when the lot is not normally free to others. I do think it should be free.

How many from Tucson are going to be at the National Plug-in Day event at the Bookmans Sports Exchange on Sunday, September 29th?
http://www.pluginday.org/event.php?eventid=47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The time on the web site is TBD, but I believe that the event will be held from 9am - 1pm.

Look forward to meeting some people out there! :)

Back