2013 Jan Plugin Sales Discussion : Volt 1,140 ; Leaf 650

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

pluginmonthlydetails.png

December numbers are in brackets.

Model S : 1,200*(1,500*)
Leaf : 650 (1,489)
FFE : 81 (167)
i : 257 (77)
RAV4 EV : 25 (52)
Fit EV : 8 (19)

Volt : 1,140 (2,633)
PIP : 874 (1,361)
C-Max Energi : 338 (971)
Fusion Energi : (0)
Accord PHEV : 2 (0)

I wouldn't be surprised if the LEAF sales numbers for January are way down from December, simply due to lack of supply (and given how much dealers were discounting stock, lack of demand, as well). My guess is less than 1,000. Nearly all the 2012s were, pretty much, gone before the end of last year, and the 2013s don't arrive until next month, at the earliest.

Most of the dealers had low stock for most of the month of January. I expect the number to be less than December. Hopefully February will be better with the new 2013 model.

KJD said:
Most of the dealers had low stock for most of the month of January. I expect the number to be less than December. Hopefully February will be better with the new 2013 model.

No, as the cars won't be out in quantity until March.

I just was talking to Nissan, and got some data in advance of the sales, and an update on the 2013 LEAF in regards to timing and production.

Working on an article now, but probably won't get it rounded out until tomorrow at some point (we just migrated our server to something much larger and that transfer has been all I can handle today)...but sales will be off significantly this month as they focus on rolling the 2013s out.

/will update the thread when I finally get around to publishing it out

i will say 1200-1300. there is a lack of options available locally. not all colors are at most dealerships. still have a few around that have 20+ LEAFs on the lot but not too many. On local lots (looked at before trip) I saw 5 at one, 9 at one and 4 at another place.

I also saw one being delivered (this was one that had the 9) which surprised me. didnt think they were still delivering but could have been a dealer trade...

Got some extra time tonight, and got the story out:

Nissan LEAF January/February Sales To Be Lower As Inventory Approaches A "Sold Out" Scenario
http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-januaryfebruary-sales-to-be-lower-as-inventory-approaches-a-sold-out-scenario/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...Nissan's Director of Corporate Communications, filled us in on the situation on 2012 LEAF inventory, and short-term sales expectations for the model:
"The current model ’12 Nissan LEAF is approaching a sold-out scenario as we prepare to introduce the upgraded 2013 model, which will go on sale in February. That increased sales pace of about 1,500 units per month during the 4th quarter of 2012 means that we now are almost out of MY ’12 LEAFs. We won’t be able to meet that pace again until we can fill the channel with the new supply of ‘13s from Tennessee."

There is also some other stuff about Nissan not being able to fill the distribution channels until later in March on the 2013s, and that 80% of the available inventory they ended December with (about 900 units) will be sold by months end.

Weatherman said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the LEAF sales numbers for January are way down from December, simply due to lack of supply

Lack of supply? There are currently six for sale sitting on lots within LEAF-range of my house (one SV and five SLs) -- five of them at one dealer!

Watching the dealer inventories around here I suspect that at least 4 have sold in January from the nearest two dealers (doesn't include that one that has five, I don't usually watch it).

Computerizer said:
Weatherman said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the LEAF sales numbers for January are way down from December, simply due to lack of supply

Lack of supply? There are currently six for sale sitting on lots within LEAF-range of my house (one SV and five SLs) -- five of them at one dealer!

Watching the dealer inventories around here I suspect that at least 4 have sold in January from the nearest two dealers (doesn't include that one that has five, I don't usually watch it).

ya, that is about what is available at my local dealers but not sure I can understand your thinking that 5 or 6 LEAFs on the lot is overflowing. that does not even cover one of each model and color which should be the minimum on the lot. but it is closeout and usually the 13's are in a few months before the 2012's start the close out sales.

DaveinOlyWA said:
ya, that is about what is available at my local dealers but not sure I can understand your thinking that 5 or 6 LEAFs on the lot is overflowing. that does not even cover one of each model and color which should be the minimum on the lot. but it is closeout and usually the 13's are in a few months before the 2012's start the close out sales.

Well the most I'd seen at a dealer until I looked at the Everett one yesterday was 3, but then I saw your post that a few still have 20+ LEAFs and was astonished -- and now it seems like my post is silly. :)

evnow said:
What what InsideEvs is reporting, looks like about 700 Leafs will be sold this month.

wow, much bigger drop than I was expecting. begs the question of how many LEAFs are still available for sale? have heard a few mentions that SV's were not available in many areas, etc.

sounds like the 2013 announcements is causing bargain hunters to hold off for the S

Supply varies greatly depending on the area. In the Cincinnati, Ohio area (not a city selling many Leafs) for example, none of the Nissan dealerships (I think there are 4 or 5) have any Leafs now and haven't for weeks. These dealerships typically only had 1-2 Leafs on the lots at a time though. So I'm guessing when each place sold their last couple, presumeably in late 2012, they didn't bother ordering more because they don't wanna be stuck with them.

DaveinOlyWA said:
evnow said:
What what InsideEvs is reporting, looks like about 700 Leafs will be sold this month.

wow, much bigger drop than I was expecting. begs the question of how many LEAFs are still available for sale? have heard a few mentions that SV's were not available in many areas, etc.

sounds like the 2013 announcements is causing bargain hunters to hold off for the S
There were, according to Nissan, about 900 2012s available to dealers at the start of January, so that's the ultimate limit.

My nearest dealer had nearly a hundred in Nov. Now they have just a handful. Leaf could even be their largest selling model !

It also looks like the MY13 rollout is slower than I anticipated. So, both Jan & Feb numbers will be low. Feb could be even lower than 700.

Inventory squeeze for Chevy too: Janaury: 1,140 Volts sold

http://insideevs.com/low-inventories-push-chevrolt-volt-sales-to-yearly-low-in-january-only-1140-sold/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GM sold 2,633 in December but only made 1,509 thanks to an extended shutdown. February should be more like normal (2K-ish in sales) as they built 3,000 this month.

sidenote: only 42 Amperas, that is several months of not really building any to speak of, demand is obv not good in Europe

Data isn't out officially yet on the LEAF, but our guy at Nissan says January was 650 LEAFs sold FWIW. (Update 2pm: offically offical now - 650)

http://insideevs.com/january-2013-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other cars of interest:

Fit EV - 8
Accord PHEV -2
i-MiEV - 257

Back