Thread for suggested locations for Nissan Charge Stations?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlsoaz

Hi -

I tried looking through this forum and elsewhere a bit, but am not sure where to go for suggesting to Nissan where I'd like to see a quick charge station. It isn't clear to me if NIssan is only installing their equipment at dealers or also in other general locations, and I'm also not sure which major network these chargers might or might not be listed on (or will they have their own network.

This web page doesn't quite seem to have a map or an indication of a standard network?
http://nissanqc.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suggestions:

- In general, perhaps we could have this or another thread to consolidate suggestions to Nissan as to where some of us are keen to see chargers whether at dealerships and (depending on the answer as to whether Nissan is also considering installing elsewhere) perhaps in other places.

- With other EVSE installers and operators, (Blink for example) there is often a map one can access along with a discussion forum mechanism for suggested locations. I can't quite seem to find a map of present location of Nissan QC's (I checked a couple, maybe I just didn't check the right one?). I guess I think it might be a good idea for Nissan to make sure that their dealer-located and any other QC stations are listed on at least one of the readily available map networks (along with the list available on the vehicle dashboard, which I'm assuming would have the information).

Note: Your title says EVSE, but your subject is Quick Charge. Quick Chargers are chargers, not EVSEs. You should change your title. (You can do that by editing the first post.) As clarification, an EVSE is a switch and safety mechanism which takes AC power from the wall and passes it as AC power at the same voltage to the charger in the car, which converts it to DC power and passes it to the battery. A Quick Charger takes AC power from the wall and converts it to DC power, passing that directly to the battery.

Many of us believe that the best map to use is the crowd-sourced one that is independent of brand or distributer: Plug Share.

It might be good to have a thread like this, though I thought the focus for Nissan chargers was going to be putting them at dealerships. There have been similar discussions for other types or locations. Two that I am aware of are:
ChargePoint Request A Station web page
San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Getting them sooner

Ray

planet4ever said:
Note: Your title says EVSE, but your subject is Quick Charge. Quick Chargers are chargers, not EVSEs. You should change your title. (You can do that by editing the first post.) As clarification, an EVSE is a switch and safety mechanism which takes AC power from the wall and passes it as AC power at the same voltage to the charger in the car, which converts it to DC power and passes it to the battery. A Quick Charger takes AC power from the wall and converts it to DC power, passing that directly to the battery.

Many of us believe that the best map to use is the crowd-sourced one that is independent of brand or distributer: Plug Share.

It might be good to have a thread like this, though I thought the focus for Nissan chargers was going to be putting them at dealerships. There have been similar discussions for other types or locations. Two that I am aware of are:
ChargePoint Request A Station web page
San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Getting them sooner

Ray

Thanks Ray, my understanding of EVSE is that it stands for "Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment", which is to say all types of charge stations including, but not limited to, fast (quick) charging stations. If I said "EV Charging Stations" someone would probably say "no, that's incorrect, you have to say 'EVSE'", so I said "EVSE". I'll consider whether I should change it to incorporate EV Charging Stations wording.

I checked plugshare before I posted, but unless I am mistaken (and I certainly could be) they do not seem to be covering Nissan's deployment.

Thanks for the info about the chargepoint request stations page. I believe I have left a note or two there, as well as on the blink page, but I'm not sure if either of them listen that much. Since Nissan seems to be deploying charge stations because of their perception that infrastructure is being deployed too slowly and not necessarily where it is needed by Leaf drivers, my question is really where can we discuss where we need it on a path that is geared toward communicating with Nissan.

^^^
Please see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=262630#p262630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Many US Nissan dealers (maybe all the ones which sell Leafs) already have L2 EVSEs installed, usually the Nissan-branded AeroVironment ones. Few in the US, if any (so far) have CHAdeMO DC quick chargers.

cwerdna said:
^^^
Please see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=262630#p262630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Many US Nissan dealers (maybe all the ones which sell Leafs) already have L2 EVSEs installed, usually the Nissan-branded AeroVironment ones. Few in the US, if any (so far) have CHAdeMO DC quick chargers.

Hi cwerdna:

Please see what, a thread discussing range issues? What does this have to do with expressing to Nissan where we'd like to see charge stations, or with finding a map of existing Nissan stations? Perhaps you meant to reference a different link? Or perhaps I am not understanding why you referenced that link?

jlsoaz said:
planet4ever said:
Your title says EVSE, but your subject is Quick Charge. Quick Chargers are chargers, not EVSEs.
Thanks Ray, my understanding of EVSE is that it stands for "Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment", which is to say all types of charge stations including, but not limited to, fast (quick) charging stations.
+1

I have to side with jlsoaz on this one.

jlsoaz said:
cwerdna said:
^^^

Hi cwerdna:

Please see what, a thread discussing range issues? What does this have to do with expressing to Nissan where we'd like to see charge stations, or with finding a map of existing Nissan stations? Perhaps you meant to reference a different link? Or perhaps I am not understanding why you referenced that link?
That's the right link. Notice the diagram that planet4ever posted on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:40 pm re: EVSE, DC quick chargers, the on-board charger (OBC) and battery?

I think the last thing Nissan needs are suggestions on where to locate charging stations. They have more data than you know about the cars and our driving habits, so they know exactly where to locate charging stations for maximum effectiveness. If it makes you feel better to tell Nissan where a charging station would do the most good for you, by all means go ahead and relay the information to them...But I don't think it is necessary...

Randy said:
I think the last thing Nissan needs are suggestions on where to locate charging stations. They have more data than you know about the cars and our driving habits, so they know exactly where to locate charging stations for maximum effectiveness. If it makes you feel better to tell Nissan where a charging station would do the most good for you, by all means go ahead and relay the information to them...But I don't think it is necessary...
I disagree. The data they have is related to where the cars can easily go now. Installing DC fast/quick chargers and even just L2 EVSEs (more helpful w/the 6.6 kW charger on the '13) at places where they don't exist now will enable driving to/between places that were previously too inconvenient.

And, people have different perspectives and some folks have needs that others may not know about. For example, FalconFour really wants infrastructure around Fresno. IIRC, there are some Nissan dealers there that don't even have L2 EVSEs.

I suggested placing QCs along I-5 at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=109125#p109125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but someone else suggested 99 at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=109166#p109166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Then, there was also discussion about 101 w/reasons given at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=110614#p110614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Well, I know for a fact that many of Nissan's installations are underway. And others that aren't being installed right now have had site surveys done. Are there any Nissan-funded units without an installation location in mind? Perhaps...But I think they're further along than people are giving them credit for...

GeekEV said:
jlsoaz said:
planet4ever said:
Your title says EVSE, but your subject is Quick Charge. Quick Chargers are chargers, not EVSEs.
Thanks Ray, my understanding of EVSE is that it stands for "Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment", which is to say all types of charge stations including, but not limited to, fast (quick) charging stations.
I have to side with jlsoaz on this one.
Interesting. Wikipedia agrees with both of you, so I may have to recant.

Ray

Reddy said:
I need one in Yakima, WA
I second that one. This would compleate a round mount Raineer loop. Please also add at least one in Sequim, Port Angeles, Forks, Aberdeen and Tacoma.( 101 loop) Come on we E,V. drivers like the ocean too!

Great idea for a thread, but while the Where is the first thing that comes to mind, it is equally important, to defend it with Why and then think out and propose the How.

If you can't articulate these 3 things persuasively, it's value can't be measured.

These QC stations are initially to be located at Nissan dealerships, right?

Good locations are near major transportation corridors, and near
intersections of such corridors, where the dealer has parking spaces
that will remain open and accessible 24/7.

Example, Oceanside Mossy Nissan, about half-way between San Diego
and southern Orange County (in California), is a good candidate.

Tustin Nissan, near 55 and I-5 might be good, if they will dedicate space.

Follow-on points to this topic:

- One possible suggestion for Nissan that might be an efficient way to put some ideas together:

http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out this map and then overlay the residential charger locations with existing Nissan Dealerships and then (also) overlay with existing public chargers. This might allow quick identification of places where drivers have felt compelled to make their residential stations available and so *might* (would require further investigation of course) be an indicator of where either a Nissan dealership charge station or a Nissan stand-alone charge station might be a good idea.

[note: I have not yet decided to list my own home charge station on plugshare.com]

- After I started this thread I was contacted by a US Nissan rep as part of their reach-out on certain issues. He had heard that I am working to bring public EVSE to my county (he didn't call because of the thread itself). First, I think this shows Nissan is doing some good things in terms of reaching out. Second, I guess we can use this thread or perhaps some published Nissan email address or something else to balance out this extant question of whether Nissan wants suggestions for public EVSE location and if so then how to communicate them. In our conversation we discussed that we both agreed that there is an issue of balancing things out because it's not really viable to try to process and tend to the public EVSE wish-lists of thousands and eventually dozens of thousands of drivers.

My desired location for a ChaDemo charger would be Autoway Nissan of Brandon, Florida. It is almost exactly halfway between my home and Disney World in Orlando. It is also close to Tampa and would allow me to pick folks up at Tampa airport without planning time for a Level 2 charge.

How about some between San Jose and Salinas or Monterey, CA?

From a quick check on Plugshare, I see no "High Power Stations" when you go south of San Jose in that direction other than some Tesla Superchargers in Gilroy.

I used to sometimes visit Monterey (and may be doing so more in the future) and from where I live in the South Bay, I can barely make it to Monterey but it seems it'd be rather inconvenient, costly and/or time consuming to find and use L2 to make the return trip.

I did want to visit http://www.pebblebeachconcours.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Pebble Beach to test drive some cars (went last year) but Leafing there and back would be impractical.

Back