MK2 LEAF Battery and Drive train photos

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrientExpress

Here are some closeup photos of the Mk2 LEAF battery that I took on my visit to Nissan Headquarters. Note that Mk1 batteries will be in a grey enclosure and Mk2 batteries will be in a black enclosure. Also notice how each module is open to the air so that each cell can better radiate heat.

As reported earlier this new battery pack key features are cost and weight reduction.

leafbatt01.jpg

leafbatt02.jpg

leafbatt03.jpg

leafbatt04.jpg

leafbatt05.jpg

leafbatt06.jpg

leafbatt07.jpg

leafbatt08.jpg

leafbatt09.jpg

leafbatt10.jpg

leafbatt11.jpg

leafmotor01.jpg

leafmotor02.jpg

leafmotor03.jpg

leafmotor04.jpg

leafmotor05.jpg

I'm having trouble correlating the last two mockups with the PowerDelivery/Inverter/Motor photos above them. Is the box on the top of the last two supposed to be the charger? And are we seeing the Power Delivery Module with the Inverter removed? Is the flat box on the back perhaps the DC/DC converter? Or is that integrated into the Power Delivery Module? Regen was formerly handled by the Inverter. Will it also be done by the Power Delivery Module?

Ray

The motor is on the bottom, the inverter is the gray assembly in the middle, and the power delivery module on top has the charger in it.

leafmotor01.jpg

planet4ever said:
Regen was formerly handled by the Inverter. Will it also be done by the Power Delivery Module?
Regen is always integral with the inverter. In fact, there is no extra hardware needed/used, it's all just a software thing.

The components are the PDM on top, which contains the OBC, DC-DC, and HV DC distribution. The Inverter is in the middle, and the motor is on the bottom.

It's really no different than before, except the OBC is crammed into the HV DC block that used to sit behind the inverter on the MK1, and then moved on top.

-Phil

Wait! Where's the valve cover?! :?:

Are you saying when you open the hood of a 2013 LEAF it won't look like there is an ICE in there? But I've just gotten good at explaining Nissan's "optical illusion" to people! ;)

RegGuheert said:
Wait! Where's the valve cover?! :?:

Are you saying when you open the hood of a 2013 LEAF it won't look like there is an ICE in there? But I've just gotten good at explaining Nissan's "optical illusion" to people! ;)
Don't worry, the top of the PDM looks valve coverish enough to me.

planet4ever: I agree with you that the last two images of the OP do not match the others -- they look more like a prototype even before MK1!

Yes, it's interesting that the vehicle rolling chassis demo shows a very different packaging for the electronics and motor that the closeup of the drive-line package itself... I'm assuming that whomever did the chassis did not know the actual details of the components and thus just used a generic box and layout for them...

dgpcolorado said:
Thanks. I really like those pictures at the bottom showing the battery and drive train of the new LEAF! Having the charger upfront sure makes the layout more simple.

Nubo said:
More than happy with the Gen1 cargo space. How many kWH of batteries can you fit into 2 cubic feet? :p
I like the way you think! Don't forget they also removed 300 lb. of weight. 36 kWh battery, anyone? Six-cell modules should get us to that point!

When it is all said and done, I think we'll find the SL has lost considerably less than 300 pounds...

RegGuheert said:
I like the way you think! Don't forget they also removed 300 lb. of weight. 36 kWh battery, anyone? Six-cell modules should get us to that point!

OrientExpress said:
Note that Mk1 batteries will be in a grey enclosure and Mk2 batteries will be in a black enclosure.

Who'da thought that changing the color could save 300lbs - Genius!

As far as the layout goes, you would think that someone could have spoke up and said "how about instead of stacking all this stuff one on top of another, we put them side by side." Lower center of gravity and make a small cradle to hold the L1 EVSE under the hood (can anyone say 'frunk' ?). Its almost like they didn't know what to do with all the space under the hood so they stacked everything up as high as it would go. :lol:

It may have been done for packaging and installation economies.

EricBayArea said:
[As far as the layout goes, you would think that someone could have spoke up and said "how about instead of stacking all this stuff one on top of another, we put them side by side." Lower center of gravity and make a small cradle to hold the L1 EVSE under the hood (can anyone say 'frunk' ?). Its almost like they didn't know what to do with all the space under the hood so they stacked everything up as high as it would go. :lol:

TomT said:
It make have been done for packaging and installation economies.
Probably. And all the other accessories (A/C, brake bits, 12v battery, etc) aren't shown but if one looks under the hood of their current LEAF they can see there isn't a ton of room.

Still would be nice to get enough room freed up front for a frunk like the Tesla. I would still opt for another 20% range over frunk space, though.

Back