flat tires

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

girldoc

:D

I was in a EV group survey last week. One of the participants ( all were Leaf Owners) said she got a flat tire nd used the can that is provided to seal and inflate her tire. When she got to a Nissan Dealer to have the tire replaced she was informed it would cost her $450 to do this because they would give her new tire inflator can (cost $50) plus have to repair the tire sensor that was ruined when the substance in the can was used This is not cool. There should be some better means of quick fixing a fat without incurring additional damage ad cost She did not get it repaired she took her car to a tire store and got it replaced and just lives with the warning light on her dash that is always lit. She said she would just have the car towed in ad repaired much cheaper.

2011 Silver Leaf in San Diego, CA

i havent had to do this, but i understand that you can use the inflating device without the goop.
that might serve in most situations to get you to a safe place, except in the case of a blow out.

When I bought my LEAF on Monday night, the sales lady told me not to use the goop unless I absolutely had to.

Ya know if Tony can design a spare tire holder it would seem like Nissan could too.

I plan to put a spare tire holder in, but not until spring.

Philip

I used the inflator on my daughter's Prius and was impressed the speed of it.

I wouldn't use the goop unless absolutely needed, most of my flats have been caused by nails and are slow enough that reinflation is enough to get me to a repair place.

I'll use the goop only as a last resort. What I've done is place a tire puncture repair kit also in that space. They cost about $10 and come with all the tools to insert the "plug". Keep a set of pliers as well to get the nail or what not out too....

Exactly what I did as well. It gives me much more piece of mind than that lousy goop, and will not destroy anything if used...

jcan said:
What I've done is place a tire puncture repair kit also in that space. They cost about $10 and come with all the tools to insert the "plug". Keep a set of pliers as well to get the nail or what not out too....

jcan said:
I'll use the goop only as a last resort. What I've done is place a tire puncture repair kit also in that space. They cost about $10 and come with all the tools to insert the "plug". Keep a set of pliers as well to get the nail or what not out too....
Ditto here. This kit was recommended elsewhere on the forum, IIRC, and is what I bought. Good idea about the pliers. I'd probably use the key inside of the fob as a prybar... :roll:

jcan said:

+1. The plug will make a serviceable temporary repair in most circumstances except for a sidewall puncture or a hole that was too big for the goop anyway.

Don't forget that it is a temporary repair to get you to the tire shop. Where they should remove it and use a mushroom plug AND a patch if the tire is fixable. Some places are half-arsed and try to get away with just one or the other. If they insist this isn't necessary go somewhere else.

Back