Collecting data:Off-the-wall power for turtle to 100% charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ColumbiaRiverGorge said:
My digital meter next to my 240v outlet only measures 1 k/wh and greater differences unfortunately. It is a Cooper B-Line meter. It goes up 1 k/wh every 15 minutes, so I figured 10 minutes was .66 k/wh. I know that this is not very accurate, but how much can it be off?
FWIW - my Blink reports about 3.73 kW draw from the wall (0.932 kWh every 15 minutes). This would be about 0.62 kWh every 15 minutes - you're pretty close.

camasleaf said:
Just finished charging turtle to 100% on my new Leaf now at 430 miles. The Blink reported 24.9 kWh in 6.44 hours. I will try to turtle the older Leaf tomorrow.

Two weeks, 500 miles later: exactly from LBW to 100%, Blink reported 21.0 kWh. (GID just changed from 50 to 49 when I got the LBW)

My 100% gid count is 265. When it was new I got 271.
Sounds bad... but then there's shenanigans like this:
JeremyW said:
surfingslovak said:
JeremyW said:
Today I recharged to 100% from 4 miles into VLBW (did not have time to go to turtle).
What was your dash energy economy? Was is below 4 m/kWh?
It was 3.9. I went 85.8 miles on that charge.
I'm pretty sure I reset the mi/kWh gauge before I started. Tony says super car...

Tomorrow: dead to 100% from the wall measurement. :)

JeremyW said:
My 100% gid count is 265. When it was new I got 271. I'm pretty sure I reset the mi/kWh gauge before I started. Tony says super car... Tomorrow: dead to 100% from the wall measurement. :)
Look forward to that data point! And yes, 85.9 miles at 3.9 m/kWh seems a tad high. I didn't realize your car read 271 Gid when it was new. Losing 6 Gids over the course of a Sacramento summer would be pretty good! Although, given the wide range of results we've witnessed with Gids, I'm much less willing to take them at their face value.

Teaser: I borrowed a GID meter on Wednesday. Will have it until coming Wednesday morning. Interesting data ... will post when I have it all collected. :) And you guys may go hog wild figuring it out ;)

LEAFer said:
Teaser: I borrowed a GID meter on Wednesday. Will have it until coming Wednesday morning. Interesting data ... will post when I have it all collected. :) And you guys may go hog wild figuring it out ;)

ok fine. any hints? prelim data?

DaveinOlyWA said:
LEAFer said:

No. :lol:

LEAFer said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LEAFer said:

No. :lol:
Ok ... let me explain why I was being so brusque. The data being collected shows some unexpected "stuff", but some of the recording is being done by my son early in the morning when he leaves, and he is a little less ... let's say ... fastidious ... than he could be. In other words, there may be an inconsistency or two in recording. And, secondly, rather than start a complex analysis with only partial data, I think it's better to have the entire set to analyze.

I'll have the GID meter thru at least Wednesday, not sure if I can extend in order to run another turtle-to-100% event, also subject to my son's schedule in needing the car.

HTH :)

TickTock said:
I want to start collecting data on the battery capacity of the various Leaf's represented here. Since not everyone has an SOC meter but many of us (all will a little effort) have a means to record the total power used for a full charge. Parital data is welcome (Ex: VLBW to 100%) but please make a note. I'll start with the two datapoints I know of today. Would be very interesting to see the range we have out there.

TickTock: 21.7 kWh Dead to 100 from the wall (20.04 kWh actually entering the battery)
vegastar: 25.5 kWh Turtle to 100 from the wall

[Edit: added link to the compilation]
Leaf Capacity Variation
I cross posted in Tony's cold temp thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7634&start=60#p243033

Well, here's the imperfect data:
Outside Temp 28-32 F, fog/freezing fog, no wind. Car charged to 100% overnight in uninsulated garage (battery might have been a bit warmer, maybe 35-40 F, showed 4 bars to start). Pre-warmed car (on L1 does consume some of the battery) but no climate control during driving.

60.7 mi to LBW, 71.0 mi to VLBW, 80.5 mi to Turtle, 80.7 mi total, about 2 hrs total drive time.
Edit: 4.3 mi/KWH, reset at beginning of trip.

Charging: Start 12:20pm, finish ~06:30 next morning, (~18 hrs L1), 25.37 KWH (Killa-Watts)

Driving Estimate: 3 mi for coffee, 1hr off, 3 mi back at 35 mph on city streets, 3mi@35city, 3@45HW, 3mi@30city, 5mi@50HW, 16 mi@55-65FW, 5mi@35city. Unfortunately, nothing was really flat. About 400ft net elevation rise outbound. LBW occurred on the freeway about 10 mi out of town. VLBW occurred as I was coming into town and the dreaded flashing "4" stayed that way for another 10 mi. Most of the VLBW was at 25-35 mph. I circled the block 2-3 times until Turtle. Looking back at this, I think under level conditions and charging/pre-heating on L2, I could have easily gotten 85 mi at similar driving speeds. I probably wasn't at a full 12 bars to start the drive.

The car is 15mo old and has about 8500 mi. Looks like I'm close to others. Hope this helps the collective cause.

Reddy

JeremyW said:
Picture is worth 1k words...
Great job visualizing it for us. I was going to estimate you loss of usable capacity between 6 to 8% based on wall energy data. I can see two dots on the graph, which would roughly match that. What's the dark blue dot at 9 or 10% down?

So here it is ... all the data you could ever want: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10653" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First VLBW (but no turtle) to 100% charge for me since I bought the car:

Total wall kWh: 22.94
Time of charge: 6hr.13min.
Miles: not measured - charge during the day
M/kwh: Not measured.
Battery Temp after chgarge: 4 TB
Ambient Temp: 31.5F at charge end.
No pre-heating including in reported charge energy

Plugged in at 4:00 PM
Began charging 8:47 PM via car charing timer
Finished Charging: 3:00 AM

Measured using Watnode Pulse meter (+/-)0.5% accuracy; two solid core CT's with accuracy (+/-)1.0%

camasleaf said:
camasleaf said:
Just finished charging turtle to 100% on my new Leaf now at 430 miles. The Blink reported 24.9 kWh in 6.44 hours. I will try to turtle the older Leaf tomorrow.

Two weeks, 500 miles later: exactly from LBW to 100%, Blink reported 21.0 kWh. (GID just changed from 50 to 49 when I got the LBW)

Now at 1760 miles (4.3 kWh life average) and almost two months since we got the car: from turtle (5 GID) to 100% Blink reported 24.8 kWh. Battery was likely colder than the initial test. The car was outside on Friday and showed 4 TB, it did show 5 TB when I left the garage Saturday and when I came back just at VLBW. I used the heater to drain the battery to turtle. Outside temperature around 38F and garage temp was 58F.

So the test did not show any clear degradation yet.

Note: I likely drain the battery a bit lower than last time. I did not have GID on the first test, but I remember that there were 4 power bubbles when I pulled in the garage. In this test it dropped to 2 power bubbles when the GID showed 5 and I turned off the car.

Thanks for the update. Still a very new car at 50 days of ownership. 0.1kWh is likely below the noise floor for Blink but at least it is in the expected direction. Comes to about 1.33% in 50 days so this measurement puts you on track (but slightly better) with Nissan's own prediction of 6% down in 6 months (for Boston-like climate/use model).

Second VLBW (plus about 1 mile of driving to get home) but no turtle, to 100% charge for me since I bought the car:

Total wall energy: 23.07 kwh
Time of charge: 6hr. 23min. (L2 charge)
Miles: not measured - charge during the day
M/kwh: Not measured.
Battery Temp after chgarge: 4 TB
Ambient Temp: 33.6F at charge end.
No pre-heating including in reported charge energy

Plugged in at 4:16 PM
Began charging immediately via overrimde timer button
Finished Charging: 10:39PM

8457 total miles on the car

Measured using Wattnode Pulse meter (+/-)0.5% accuracy; two solid core CT's with accuracy (+/-)1.0

RegGuheert on July 11 said:
Recharging from VLBW to 100%
Wall energy, L1, VLBW - 100%: 27.17 kWh
Time, L1, VLBW - 100%: 14.75 hours

I can only estimate L2 equivalent energy, but my estimate is certainly fraught with errors. To do this, I will assume L2 charging would have finished in 1/3 the time, or about 5 hours. During the additional 10 hours, I estimate 300W of power consumption by the LEAF for pumps, etc., for a total extra waste of about 3kWh. That gives:

Wall energy, L2 estimated: VLBW - 100%: ~24 kWh
RegGuheert on October 20 said:
I did another recharge today from VLBW to 100% using L1. Ambient temperature was about 70F at the end of the charge. Here are the numbers:

Wall energy, L1, VLBW - 100%: 25.83 kWh
Time, L1, VLBW - 100%: 16.5 hours

I can only estimate L2 equivalent energy, but my estimate is certainly fraught with errors. To do this, I will assume L2 charging would have finished in 1/3 the time, or about 5.5 hours. During the additional 11 hours, I estimate 300W of power consumption by the LEAF for pumps, etc., for a total extra waste of about 3.3kWh. That gives:

Wall energy, L2 estimated: VLBW - 100%: ~22.5 kWh

ETA: Odometer reading for this charge: 5668 miles
I did another recharge today from nearly VLBW to 100% using L1. While we didn't see VLBW, we were probably pretty close since we had driven about 3 miles with "5" shown on the GOM and about 2 miles with "4" shown on the GOM. The dash was only predicting 15.0 hours for a full recharge using L1, which seemed very low to me, so I decided to perform a test. Ambient temperature was about 35F at the end of the charge. Here are the numbers:

Wall energy, L1, just before VLBW - 100%: 24.74 kWh
Time, L1, just before VLBW - 100%: 16.0 hours

I can only estimate L2 equivalent energy, but my estimate is certainly fraught with errors. To do this, I will assume L2 charging would have finished in 1/3 the time, or about 5.3 hours. During the additional 10.7 hours, I estimate 300W of power consumption by the LEAF for pumps, etc., for a total extra waste of about 3.21kWh. That gives:

Wall energy, L2 estimated: just before VLBW - 100%: ~21.5 kWh

This result is about 4.5% less than the previous result at 70F, but the car wasn't quite to VLBW, so the comparative reduction is some unknown amount less than 4.5%.

Odometer reading for this charge: 9038 miles

Back