Leaf Test Drives in the US

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sparky said:
That's the first I've heard of that technique for more torque.

The system does not give the LEAF more torque - it takes away the electronic babysitters.

LEAFs stability control (vehicle dynamic control or VDC) also incorporates a traction control system (TCS). TCS comes into play when taking off from a standing start. VDC comes into play while driving on slippery curvy roads. Both control the application of power to the ground.

In a nutshell, VDC/TCS uses the ABS wheel sensors to monitor wheel spin. In a front-drive car if the rear wheels are turning at XX mph and the front tires are spinning at anything faster, TCS modulates the accelerator application for you via the LEAFs drive-by-wire throttle to reduce/eliminate wheel spin. Turn off VDC and you turn off TCS. Turn off TCS and you spin the front tires with 200+ immediate pounds of torque applied at 0 mph.

VDC takes it one step further. When driving on a curvy road and the vehicle senses wheel spin, especially in concert with the vehicle going in an unintended direction (steering wheel sensor incorporated with a yaw sensor), it will reduce throttle application and brake any wheel individually to properly re-orient the vehicle. VDC/stability control systems go a long way toward reducing single car collisions. :)

sparky said:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/10best-surprise-the-nissan-leaf-burns-a-different-petroleum-product/
But the big surprise was that with the stability control shut off, the environmentally friendly Leaf will do an NHRA-grade front-drive burnout. The Leaf’s surprising burnout gives me hope for the future of the automobile.

That's the first I've heard of that technique for more torque.

Not me...the boys on 'Top Gear' do it all the time. However, it's the first time I've heard it applied to an EV. And the first time I've heard that you can turn the Leafs off. Actually, it's the first time I've heard the Leaf even has TC.

mwalsh said:
However, it's the first time I've heard it applied to an EV. And the first time I've heard that you can turn the Leafs off. Actually, it's the first time I've heard the Leaf even has TC.

Hah. Same here. I suspect we're going to learn quite a bit from the test-drive. Maybe put our own spec-sheet together.

A review, complete with video, of the Leaf over a gm-volt.com by Lyle Dennis, the neurosurgeon who runs the site. http://gm-volt.com/2010/10/04/nissan-leaf-test-drive-and-review-wvideo/

Two points stood out. One is he thought the Leaf accelerated about like his Mini-E. The Mini-E was known for being peppy, so that's really good. Two is that during the video the Nissan representative says that the steering tightens up at higher speeds. This may address the criticism of those who have mentioned that when driving mostly on surface streets that the steering seems too light.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/Driving-a-New-Electric-Car--in-NYC-No-Less-104310074.html

Brian Thompson posts as "bt" in gm-volt and other blogs.

I specifically asked Mark Perry, Nissan's Director of Product Planning and Advanced Technology Strategy if, once sales reach a critical mass of tens of thousands or more here in the U.S., the price will come down (it is advertised at $32,780 base price, but with a federal tax credit of $7500 that comes out to $25,280 for car buyers).

Perry told NBCNewYork "What we have to do is be prepared for that $7500 going away, so as a consumer it'll look the same."

SanDust said:
A review, complete with video, of the Leaf over a gm-volt.com by Lyle Dennis, the neurosurgeon who runs the site. http://gm-volt.com/2010/10/04/nissan-leaf-test-drive-and-review-wvideo/

This is a good review. Thanks Lyle for the detailed report. One thing I saw that interested me, was when Nissan told him that when they come out with updated battery packs, we can trade in our older packs for the updated ones. I guess I thought this might be an option, but to hear it more officially is good to hear. It would be nice to be able to trade in my old pack when it's range starts to drop for new one which might get 150 miles of range? I guess this means that Nissan won't be able to change the dimensions or voltage of the pack if they want them to stay compatible with the Gen 1 cars. But it is another source of revenue for that new battery factory. Gen 1 users can buy the new Gen 2 or 3 batteries and swap them out. Very cool! What that will cost will be interesting to find out (in 5 years from now).

Oh and can someone tell me what 'light' and 'heavy' steering means? Not sure exactly what that would feel like.

-Peter

prberg said:
Oh and can someone tell me what 'light' and 'heavy' steering means? Not sure exactly what that would feel like.

Heavy was my old 1970 Mach I Mustang with a 351C and manual steering. Took both hands and some real muscle to crank the wheel when stopped or even parallel park.

Light is an older ('70s?) Chrysler or Caddy that the ladies could steer with one finger and not break a nail. Even parallel park.

mwalsh said:
'Car and Driver'...Leaf at "10Best Surprise" (whatever that is):

http://blog.caranddriver.com/10best-surprise-the-nissan-leaf-burns-a-different-petroleum-product/

If the car is capable of those kinds of burnouts, then some stickier tires should make a significant improvement in performance (traction control on or off).

Guys,

The word "primary" is nowhere used in that review. The review did not say that the Leaf wouldn't be a person's primary car, it said that it wouldn't be their only car, "because of unexpected demands, unplanned trips that could exceed range".

'Second car' does not mean the same thing as 'secondary car'.

Cheers!

evnow said:
TimeHorse said:
Yeah, my secondary car is the one I use 350 days a year; but my primary car, oh that I use a whopping 5.2425, so of course its primary! Geesh!

Yes - apparently these guys don't know the meaning of primary.

I guess they put their vacation home as their primary residence too ...

lne937s said:
mwalsh said:

Mwalsh posted that? Mwalsh has no recollection of doing so.

However, Mwalsh will observe that you guys have collectively taken a rather pedantic tone (in more than one thread) during the last few hours. Mwalsh hopes that such does not continue in his (relative) absence during these next two weeks. :?

http://www.consumersearch.com/blog/2011-nissan-leaf-first-drive

I commented to Perry that the quietness of the electric powertrain lends a premium air to the driving experience, despite the car itself being very mainstream in terms of packaging and intent. It happened to be raining when I said this, and Perry replied that Nissan had to ditch the original windshield wiper motors intended for the Leaf. They were fine in conventionally-powered vehicles because the engine noise drowned them out, but In the Leaf their sound was intrusive, so quieter units had to be fitted.
That's really what it boils down to. If you want an EV like the Leaf, you'll find a way to make it work for you. For many Leaf buyers, I imagine that the lifestyle change associated with switching to an EV is actually a key selling point. They want to alter how they go about the day-to-day.

I'm yet to see a US review that explains the domiant scenario of EV replacing of the the family cars. It is as if most of the journalists are either single or live in single car families or .... ?

Interestingly TopGear got this part right.

smkettner said:
prberg said:

Heavy was my old 1970 Mach I Mustang with a 351C and manual steering. Took both hands and some real muscle to crank the wheel when stopped or even parallel park.

Light is an older ('70s?) Chrysler or Caddy that the ladies could steer with one finger and not break a nail. Even parallel park.

I can't resist my personal reference points:

Heavy: The 1950's Diamond Trucks, fitted as an road oiler, with manual steering.

Light: The 1973 Chevrolet Caprice

sjfotos said:
smkettner said:
prberg said:

I can't resist my personal reference points:

Heavy: The 1950's Diamond Trucks, fitted as an road oiler, with manual steering.

Light: The 1973 Chevrolet Caprice

I reference this against other power steering and other EPS (Electric Power Steering) Not against other old manual steering or manual steering in general, it's just over boosted.

lne937s said:
mwalsh said:

If the car is capable of those kinds of burnouts, then some stickier tires should make a significant improvement in performance (traction control on or off).

Nothing worth changing the tires for but it would greatly improve handling at a high penalty on range.

mwalsh said:
lne937s said:
mwalsh said:

Mwalsh posted that? Mwalsh has no recollection of doing so.

However, Mwalsh will observe that you guys have collectively taken a rather pedantic tone (in more than one thread) during the last few hours. Mwalsh hopes that such does not continue in his (relative) absence during these next two weeks. :?

I'm confused- is someone posting under your name? on the previous page there is that post in its entirety with your name on it "Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:01 pm" (My computer is on EST)

Back