Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So now the RAV EV is essentially about $3000 cheaper than the Tesla? That is a mistake but consideringToyotas projected volume i am guessing they don't care

DaveinOlyWA said:
So now the RAV EV is essentially about $3000 cheaper than the Tesla? That is a mistake but consideringToyotas projected volume i am guessing they don't care

On a purchase, it's $7500 cheaper than Tesla S-40.

I paid "full pop". They wouldn't budge.

TonyWilliams said:
Congrats on your new ride! I'm quite interested in hearing how the RAV-4 EV works out for you. My guess is that with the bigger battery and faster L2, the lack of QC won't be a huge issue even though it would be nice to have.

I am quite impressed with the freeway performance. Going 75, it still has plenty of power to accelerate. I climbed a few hills in the area, including a high speed climb from Folsom to Placerville, about 30 miles and 3,000 ft of elevation climb up highway 50 when...well...
JeremyW said:
Push sport button, win ticket
I may be the first to have won this game. :eek: :oops:

While not an exact measurement, I've done this particular run up the hill *ahem* in the left lane before. Starting with 100%, I would normally be in VLBW territory when pulling back into the house. The RAV4 started with 13/16 bars and ended with 3 bars and 16 miles remaining on the GOM doing similar if not faster speeds then the leaf.

More on the nav...
Home Screen- hitting the center button brings it up.

BvOBNl.jpg

Lots of choices for destination

IiZj1l.jpg

Ys4Wjl.jpg

6VBEPl.jpg

You really have to start by city and work backwards, as when you start putting in a street address, it is quite difficult picking out the right street name if it is common one. If you pick the wrong one it will think the house number is invalid.
SIVgPl.jpg

The charging timer is basically just our end only timer. I like the pre-climate only option. But you can't set more than one departure per day. The add button dims. :x
VrJvfl.jpg

The map also gets acne! :lol:
NZZCFl.jpg

I do not like this "virtual volume" business. As Tony mentioned it's brought up by touching the button in the upper right corner of the screen.
lqjGyl.jpg

At some point, the car stopped estimating the time remaining. I think this was after some L1 charging.
reAVAl.jpg

And finally, lines at Costco today:
gcFuPl.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Tony:

Congrats, can you load a couple of exterior and interior pixs of your new toy please!!

Is white the only color available at the dealer or what other colors did they have?

TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Congratulations on your purchase. I'll be interested to hear how it compares to the Leaf after you own it for a bit and break it in.

JeremyW said:
I haven't used the navigation functions yet (will this afternoon), but there's a whole bunch of red dots on the map where I've traveled. Not sure I need all those "waypoints" displayed. I haven't figured out where the volume control is besides the steering wheel. :shock:
JeremyW said:
The map also gets acne! :lol:
NZZCFl.jpg
I think what you've turned on is the "bread crumbs" feature.

Try looking for an option called record route, trace route or route trace. It might be via the Mark button.

JeremyW said:
JeremyW said:
Push sport button, win ticket
I may be the first to have won this game. :eek: :oops:
So, how does that factor into the "cost of ownership"? :D

And, Tony, what happened to the "fleet only" status of the RAV4EV? Did you flash 'em a Costco card or something?

And, last but not least, the Inside Only (TM) backup beeping is a Toyota feature familiar to Gen 3 Prius owners. Which can be remedied with the appropriate CANBus gadget (e.g., ScanGauge). Hopefully this property will extend to the RAV.

gbarry42 said:
And, Tony, what happened to the "fleet only" status of the RAV4EV? Did you flash 'em a Costco card or something?

And, last but not least, the Inside Only (TM) backup beeping is a Toyota feature familiar to Gen 3 Prius owners. Which can be remedied with the appropriate CANBus gadget (e.g., ScanGauge). Hopefully this property will extend to the RAV.
I've never heard of the Rav4 EV being limited to fleets only.

As far as the inside backup beep, on the Gen 3 Prius, it can be disabled by telling the dealer. They can do it via Toyota Techstream. But yes, people have found the ScanGauge XGauge values to disable it.

On the 2010-2011 Prius, there was a list of settings could do for you. Example of pages at http://priuschat.com/threads/things-that-can-be-customized.67909/#post-940697" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Some dealers are willing to do it for you once for free. But some settings I believe are lost if 12 volt battery power is lost. On the '12+ Prius, the owner can set many of these himself via touchscreen as the touchscreen became standard again on the '12 Prius.

On Gen 2, neither Techstream nor a CAN bus tool was needed to turn off the backup beep.

I've never owned a Prius but what would possibly posses them to do such a thing? Do they think that their drivers are too dumb to KNOW they are backing up? :lol:

gbarry42 said:
And, last but not least, the Inside Only (TM) backup beeping is a Toyota feature familiar to Gen 3 Prius owners.

TomT said:
I've never owned a Prius but what would possibly posses them to do such a thing? Do they think that their drivers are too dumb to KNOW they are backing up? :lol:

gbarry42 said:
And, last but not least, the Inside Only (TM) backup beeping is a Toyota feature familiar to Gen 3 Prius owners.
They've had it there since Gen 2. Perhaps it's due to the non-standard shifter (that began w/Gen 2) and the fact that you don't usually feel any jolt (that you would w/an automatic car w/a torque converter) when shifting to D or R? The Rav4 EV shares the same non-standard shifter.

Prius has no torque converter and it also has no reverse gear. It runs the electric motor(s?) backwards to provide you reverse. Engine doesn't need to run to drive in reverse either.

That said, I do wish the beeping wasn't internal only. It ought to be external w/defeatable internal beeping.

I hear the Prius c doesn't have the reverse beep (I also recall not hearing it on my single test drive). And, it has a conventional looking shifter. You can see the shifters at the interior pics of:
http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/photo-gallery.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.toyota.com/priusc/photo-gallery.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
Congrats! I assume you'll be taking it up to Santa Ysabel later this month?

Maybe I shouldn't plan on renting one for a weekend - I may get the itch to buy one, too...

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:
Congrats! I assume you'll be taking it up to Santa Ysabel later this month?

Maybe I shouldn't plan on renting one for a weekend - I may get the itch to buy one, too...

If range is an issue with your LEAF, you'll love the Rav4. The power and extra space is just icing in the cake. Yes, I'll have mine up in Santa Ysabel on Nov 17 (ya, won't need any charge up there... I think I could do that round trip twice).

Absolutely rent one! Mossy Toyota has a silver one for rent. Tell them I sent you (apparently, I bought the first one from that dealership). Make sure you know about the Toyota-$7500-Game(TM).

72D1D60C-27C0-4C2C-A71D-84D6455ADA67-932-000001A4C93F4A37.jpg

71DC1DB9-D5D0-4F17-BF1E-A717EC2D2FB5-932-000001A4C3DBD4AF.jpg

508E882A-621D-4B1C-9BF0-9572579C5D4B-932-000001A4A4A658CD.jpg

5C4F05DF-D930-4D3B-A3DD-49CBAC9A8A10-932-000001A4BA3F7CE6.jpg

The acne its route trace. Love the feature especially when we went to Disneyland. Can't tell how many times we used it to find our wayback to the hotel when we were out wwandering around

gbarry42 said:
As I said earlier, I don't think I ever heard it was fleet only. Here's another non-fleet, I think.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151236070769201&set=a.431473399200.188517.197052454200&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Toyota USA

Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff visited one of our Toyota dealerships in San Francisco today to pick up his new RAV4 EV. Our senior VP of automotive operations, Bob Carter, was there to hand him the keys. Check out information about our all-electric
I've personally seen Bob in person although I don't think I asked him any questions.

Tony, to remove the backup beeping you might want to give this sequence a try. It worked on my Gen2 prius, but I have no idea if it will work on other models. You lose nothing by trying.

http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Reverse-Beep-in-a-Toyota-Prius" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've had mostly manual transmissions all my life and, somehow, managed to tell when I was in reverse without a clunk OR backup beeper... So, I guess I'll stick to the "dumb" and/or lawyer theory...
If we follow this logic to fruition however, perhaps they also should have a Forward beeper...

cwerdna said:
TomT said:
They've had it there since Gen 2. Perhaps it's due to the non-standard shifter (that began w/Gen 2) and the fact that you don't usually feel any jolt (that you would w/an automatic car w/a torque converter) when shifting to D or R? The Rav4 EV shares the same non-standard shifter.

Back