Andy Palmer and Chelsea Sexton Discuss the Nissan LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evchels said:
Hah, yeah, I know- though can't blame the webcam (just the usual native mac cam). I keep trying to convince Nikki that "face for radio" can apply to podcasts too, but have yet to win that battle...
Come on, even with a bad camera you're certainly the bright spot in that crew :mrgreen: Though MPT is rather dashing when he appears. ;)

Phoenix said:
Chelsea: Let Nissan know that they are losing customers because they still have not released their 2013 LEAFs with the faster 6.6kw charger. After my nephew borrowed my LEAF for extended test drives, he finally purchased the Toyota RAV4 EV. He just got tired of waiting for the new LEAF to come out. And, with the 10kw charger, the RAV4 looked good by comparison.
That's not the only sale Nissan has lost recently to the RAV4-EV. In fact, advisory board member TonyWilliams has turned in his 2nd LEAF for a RAV4-EV after finding that the RAV4-EV will do 130 miles/charge without trying all that hard and knowing the pack has a TMS system and based on Tesla Roadster capacity loss it's unlikely to lose 10% capacity in 1 year.

I didn't know exactly where to post this question, so I am posting it in the context of where I heard Andy's answer (this video thread) but it is an old thread. Perhaps someone can let me know if I need to break it out as a new thread.

If I recall correctly, Andy gave a clear "no" in response to the question about whether we can ever remove the info permission nag each time we start the car. IIRC he basically said the lawyers would not allow it.

Today I was reading through the EV Project data and it became clear that part of the project involves Nissan turning over data to the project (Idaho National Labs I guess).

http://www.theevproject.com/cms-assets/documents/127233-901153.q2-2013-rpt.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"...Data gathered by The EV Project is aggregated and analyzed to provide information of interest to the general public on a quarterly basis. Idaho National Laboratory (INL) was contracted by The EV Project to conduct the majority of the data analytics. EVSE data is gathered by the ECOtality Blink network and provided to INL. Vehicle data is gathered by Nissan for the Leaf and OnStar for the Volt and then transmitted to INL...."

"...The EV Project began collecting vehicle and charging data in early 2011 and through the course of time, some participants have sold or wrecked their vehicles, moved out of the EV Project regions, or grown weary of granting permission to send data on every vehicle start. Consequently, data is no longer being collected from some past participants’ vehicles and their residential EVSE...."

So I guess my question is whether the nag is due to the lawyers mandating it due to the EV Project, or due to more generalized concerns? The more generalized concerns argument never made full sense to me (other manufacturers don't seem to have this issue), but the matter might make more sense in the context of seeing many Leafs as being involved in the EV project and this requiring some extra bit of legal aspect.

jl

given the what the NSA is collecting it would seem laughable that the feds would want permission to access your location and other personal driving data.
but that is what I think this amounts to; a way to get permission to share data with the feds. even in the NSA boogaloo, they use the Patriot Act as authorization, albeit much of that seems to stretch what even the author of the bill (rep. sensenbrenner) thought it meant.

thankyouOB said:
given the what the NSA is collecting it would seem laughable that the feds would want permission to access your location and other personal driving data.
but that is what I think this amounts to; a way to get permission to share data with the feds. even in the NSA boogaloo, they use the Patriot Act as authorization, albeit much of that seems to stretch what even the author of the bill (rep. sensenbrenner) thought it meant.

Not sure the feds worry too much about permission these days.

dhanson865 said:
So the original video was scrubbed from Youtube. Did anyone make an archive?

I don't have one. I see that the nearly two hour long town hall video is still up. I suppose if possible, if someone wants it, they might want to make an archive of that at this time.

Back