Official Toyota RAV4 EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people thought Tesla would never deliver the model s. I think they have strong long term prospects. They are shifting the paradigm on the practicality of electric cars. Go tesla.

EVDrive said:
Most people thought Tesla would never deliver the model s. I think they have strong long term prospects. They are shifting the paradigm on the practicality of electric cars. Go tesla.
Ok, although I haven't carefully examined their financials or SEC filings, take a look at http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=TSLA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=TSLA+Income+Statement&annual" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

At least on a yearly basis, their revenues are accelerating but their losses are too. The quarterly picture isn't so good: declining quarterly revenues w/worsening losses.

Being in the car business is EXPENSIVE. I remember a car magazine saying something along the lines of, any car company can build a great car for a large amount of $ (I think they used a figure in the $70K to $200K range), but the issue is they have to be able to price it to be comparable vs. their competitors and turn a profit too.

I want them to succeed, but it really makes me wonder whether it's possible given their current pricing and promises.

Maybe you should lease? I have no particular knowledge of Tesla's condition other than the news bites about them on the radio, but larger car companies have failed in the past few years - so it's possible (Saab).

Maybe getting a RAV-4EV (2013+) helps to lower the risk as you will still have Toyota. Unfortunately, you don't get the Tesla fast charge, etc.

TonyWilliams said:
cwerdna said:
For the very rich, they'd be upset about the parent company of their $50K - $100K car going under, but could take it. What about those of us who don't find that so palatable and might have issues w/service and parts later?

If they fail, and nobody wants to buy the failed company for pennies on the dollar (seems unlikely, with the first class way they've done stuff so far), I am confident with all the passion behind this car that they will not be completely abandoned.

The batteries are easy. Doors, fenders, etc might be harder to source!

Comparison test of the FitEV and RAV4EV here:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1211_2013_honda_fit_2012_toyota_rav4_ev_comparison/?rec=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1211_2013_honda_fit_2012_toyota_rav4_ev_comparison/?rec=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't really know how you can compare the two...they are so totally different. But given the choice between the RAV4EV, the Fit EV, and the LEAF. I think I'd be inclined towards a two-way tie between the Toyota and the Nissan - the Fit just felt that little bit less sophisticated, like you would expect of what is essentially an econobox. Of course, the miniscule amount of seat time I've had in both the Toyota and the Honda is not really conducive to a lasting impression, so I do hope the opportunity to drive both more presents itself.

mwalsh said:
GRA said:

Don't really know how you can compare the two...they are so totally different. But given the choice between the RAV4EV, the Fit EV, and the LEAF. I think I'd be inclined towards a two-way tie between the Toyota and the Nissan - the Fit just felt that little bit less sophisticated, like you would expect of what is essentially an econobox. Of course, the miniscule amount of seat time I've had in both the Toyota and the Honda is not really conducive to a lasting impression, so I do hope the opportunity to drive both more presents itself.

They are really very different cars, as mwalsh says. I think that Motor Trend just happened to have the two to test in the same time span, so they did a bit of a comparison. From my seat time in the Fit EV, though, I found it among the sportiest of the currently available offerings. The Sport mode adds enough extra power and torque, and the car is light weight enough to provide a pretty sporty handling experience, and the independent rear suspension adds to the handling precision. The Fit EV is a hoot to drive around town. The Fit EV is smaller inside than the LEAF, so there is less passenger room, and it's true that the dash and gauges are less impressive than the LEAF's. The amount of information available is less than the LEAF shows you (including, it should be noted, that the Fit EV doesn't have any gauge that shows battery capacity. Come to think of it, I don't know of a production EV that does have that, other than the LEAF.) If you're considering the Fit EV lease in CA or Portland OR, I recommend that you seek out a dealer that handles the Fit EV and take it for a test drive on some curvy roads to get a feel for the difference between it and the LEAF.

mwalsh said:
GRA said:

i generally find that modified versions of existing platforms have too many compromises. the RAV 4 EV might be the only exception but i also think its modification contributes to a higher than acceptable sticker price.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i generally find that modified versions of existing platforms have too many compromises. the RAV 4 EV might be the only exception but i also think its modification contributes to a higher than acceptable sticker price.

The RAV4 seems to be the only exception, probably due to the available room for parts. Sticker price is due to short production runs, you are paying for a custom car. ALL EVs suffer from this, including the Volt.

Herm said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

The RAV4 seems to be the only exception, probably due to the available room for parts. Sticker price is due to short production runs, you are paying for a custom car. ALL EVs suffer from this, including the Volt.

you do mean "compliance" car right?

Thanks to Sparky bringing a Toyota RAV4 EV demo car to the Oct 13 Socal meet at Cerritos, I was able to test-drive the RAV4 EV a second time. Boomer23 also rode along.

I did a very crude coasting test from 35 mph to stop in neutral. I didn't have a LEAF for comparison, but the RAV4 seemed to have decent but not great coasting efficiency.

There were no hills to give the regeneration a real test, but I watched it with the car in "B" mode (higher regeneration). Like my first test drive, I saw only modest regeneration without my foot on the brake. Hopefully more cuts in on downgrades. With the brake applied, I did see modest regeneration, but it felt like the friction brakes were being applied in parallel at even light braking levels. The regeneration display I was following had no kW markings. Perhaps, like the LEAF, the center display can show more, but I am not optimistic.

Since the RAV4 EV has no QC port, miles per hour of L2 charge is especially important to me for this vehicle. Although its aerodynamic drag coefficient is about the same as the LEAF's, its larger frontal area will most likely give it a lower score on L2 mileage than the 2013 LEAF on common 32A L2.

tbleakne said:
There were no hills to give the regeneration a real test, but I watched it with the car in "B" mode (higher regeneration). Like my first test drive, I saw only modest regeneration without my foot on the brake. Hopefully more cuts in on downgrades. With the brake applied, I did see modest regeneration, but it felt like the friction brakes were being applied in parallel at even light braking levels.
It is unfortunate that Toyota chose to dial back the regen, making the new RAV4 EV more like the Prius in that respect. (The prototype RAV4 EV that I drove almost a year ago had excellent regen.)

If anyone has an opportunity to take a new RAV4 EV for an extended test drive, please consider doing some mountain roads. :)

tbleakne said:
Since the RAV4 EV has no QC port, miles per hour of L2 charge is especially important to me for this vehicle. Although its aerodynamic drag coefficient is about the same as the LEAF's, its larger frontal area will most likely give it a lower score on L2 mileage than the 2013 LEAF on common 32A L2.
It does seem that the 2013 LEAF comes out ahead by that measure. But you start out with so much more range in the RAV4!

tbleakne said:
Thanks to Sparky bringing a Toyota RAV4 EV demo car to the Oct 13 Socal meet at Cerritos, I was able to test-drive the RAV4 EV a second time. Boomer23 also rode along.

I did a very crude coasting test from 35 mph to stop in neutral. I didn't have a LEAF for comparison, but the RAV4 seemed to have decent but not great coasting efficiency.

There were no hills to give the regeneration a real test, but I watched it with the car in "B" mode (higher regeneration). Like my first test drive, I saw only modest regeneration without my foot on the brake. Hopefully more cuts in on downgrades. With the brake applied, I did see modest regeneration, but it felt like the friction brakes were being applied in parallel at even light braking levels. The regeneration display I was following had no kW markings. Perhaps, like the LEAF, the center display can show more, but I am not optimistic.

tire pressure would have been set for maximum ride comfort (very little time to impress, so Toyota will pull out all the tricks) which means worst pressure for coasting. I find little difference in handling or ride comfort when tire is inflated to max pressure on side wall. i do feel an EXTREME change in handling especially on turns. higher pressures decreases the feeling of body roll and with the very low center of gravity caused by the traction battery, this is a good thing. a VERY Good thing

abasile said:
If anyone has an opportunity to take a new RAV4 EV for an extended test drive, please consider doing some mountain roads. :)

There's a dealer in my area that rents them (one?) for ~$130 for a weekend. Will try to schedual a rental probably in two weeks. I've got a good hill nearby I can test out the regen. Even in "B" on flat ground, there seemed to be more "pull back" from the regen than a Leaf in Eco.

Of course my big test is to see how fast I can go up the hill, rather than regen down it... :mrgreen:

JeremyW said:
abasile said:

There's a dealer in my area that rents them (one?) for ~$130 for a weekend. Will try to schedual a rental probably in two weeks. I've got a good hill nearby I can test out the regen. Even in "B" on flat ground, there seemed to be more "pull back" from the regen than a Leaf in Eco.

Of course my big test is to see how fast I can go up the hill, rather than regen down it... :mrgreen:
This would be great. I guess you are not likely to do this RAV4 EV test drive before we see you in SoCal this Saturday?

I test drove one at Mission Bay Mossy. They didn't seem eager to sell it and the sales folks didn't even really know it was on the lot. It has the same look as the ICE version, but I like that the Leaf has iconic styling not like anything else in their lineup.

It is a nice car, but I think I would buy a Tesla for just a little more money to get the additional range. If it were AWD, I might reconsider. You cannot get third row seating either so I am not sure it is much bigger than a Leaf from a passenger comfort perspective.

They wouldn't budge on MSRP. I think you can get $3200 in lease cash however if you just want to lease. Basically you are paying 20% more than a Leaf for 25% more range and a little more storage space.

If I could get 5% off MSRP, I might reconsider. I think I will just wait for Tesla to do a mini-SUV as their Model X is too ostentatious for me.

JeremyW said:
tbleakne said:
This would be great. I guess you are not likely to do this RAV4 EV test drive before we see you in SoCal this Saturday?
I'm renting it this weekend. Cannot wait! :)
Great to hear. What are they charging you to rent the RAV4 EV? I assume they are renting you their demo unit and they have at least one other RAV4 EV on the lot to show any customers who show up while you have the demo.

I am sure you know what data to take.

The 2012 Toyota Rav4 EV:

803AA93D-ED6C-4DFD-8345-5A2F0C3B7F4C-9180-0000055D3E8112C0.jpg

The Tesla 10kW charger on the Rav4:

A58F1B9D-7CC3-429E-9DF1-C051C4C5B08C-6335-000003D7F2B4B45B.jpg

Some box in the left rear corner of the Rav4:

7BCDFFD0-DA71-4C4A-ACC2-A05E389929F8-6335-000003D7C34FEDC9.jpg

This morning's drive after a "range mode" charge (100% in LEAF speak):

4ABB5C06-57EB-4135-BC97-384AE0DCB58B-9180-00000581855E0CE7.jpg

This morning, after the 35 minute drive:

6FD85A52-8649-4668-A000-C249C30F9BEF-9180-000005817863EF95.jpg

After I turned the car off:

7152DE46-88E0-4764-B55A-A0923C3B0432-9180-000005815778461F.jpg

AC283FF8-22D9-4D7A-A432-D4103C5503DB-9180-0000058154E9E31C.jpg

EFA7B3AE-9312-4C79-83F0-4B1F2491E5CB-9180-0000058165AA8D6B.jpg

evnow said:
Herm said:
Most people will think Prius when you mention electric..
Yes, some do confuse between hybrids & electrics. Typical conversation runs like
me : I got an electric car
J6P : You mean like a hybrid
me : No. 100% electric.
J6P : Wow. How much was it etc etc

the answer to EVDRIVERs questions is: When they are profitable.
What comes first, chicken or the egg ?

More I bet.. how much do you think the battery costs?
Tesla batteries would cost about $20 K. The new format ones they will use in production may be a little costlier. My guess is they will use a smaller battery and settle for a smaller range, if they want to bring down the cost.

What would you buy if they cost the same - Rav4 EV or Model S :lol: :lol:

Model S hands down!

Back