Colorado

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's another Leaf owner in Denver: my mom just bought a white 2011 SL (purchased as new). It displaces a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo as a daily driver. It was delivered from Florida yesterday. I'll try to talk her into attending the next meeting, wherever and whenever that happens.

I'd love to get a Leaf, too. But first: house to fix up and wedding to plan. Also current car's too efficient. :)

Congrats and WELCOME to the family. If you want, there are many of us that can help with many different questions that arise. Just ask.

-- batzman

And another new leaf owner! I will take possession of my new leaf today at 4pm. I test drove one today and fell in love.

I am a pet sitter and I drive in the mornings and evenings so I can charge in between. This car should work perfectly for my needs.

The problem is this. Which color do I get? I want the red, but won't be able to see it until 4pm. The dealer is having it delivered for us. If I don't like the red I will get the blue that I drove today. It is much prettier in person as opposed to pictures.

Which color would you choose? I happen to love cayenne peppers, so the cayenne red should be my car, right?

Leanne said:
And another new leaf owner! I will take possession of my new leaf today at 4pm. I test drove one today and fell in love.

I am a pet sitter and I drive in the mornings and evenings so I can charge in between. This car should work perfectly for my needs.

The problem is this. Which color do I get? I want the red, but won't be able to see it until 4pm. The dealer is having it delivered for us. If I don't like the red I will get the blue that I drove today. It is much prettier in person as opposed to pictures.

Which color would you choose? I happen to love cayenne peppers, so the cayenne red should be my car, right?

I have a silver, and I kick myself for not getting the red. Lots of silver and blue ones out there... not as many reds.

Welcome!

^^I chose the blue because I thought an EV should be "electric blue" and because it is a distinctive shade unlike any other car where I live. But from the pictures I've seen, that red looks lovely (I've never seen one in person, LEAFs are very rare on the Western Slope). My previous cars have been white, since it stays cooler in the sun. But for a car I wanted people to notice white wasn't going to cut it.

I don't think you can go wrong with either color. I think you'll be very happy with the red.

I am going to go for the red. Someone posted a picture in another topic and I am in love with that color.

I am not on the Western Slope like you are, yet I have never seen a leaf in person until my test drive today. I am amazed we have a charging station in town at the local Walgreen's, and I will be using that on occasion. At least until we get our L2 at home. We live in Castle Rock, all hills no matter which way I go. So how many miles I get on a charge will be interesting to see.

This week I have spent a long time on this forum, and read as much of the information here as I could. Now I am just 75 minutes away from my new 'baby' and I can't wait.

Thanks for the welcome to the group. My husband is on here as well, he is AndyLL if you see him.

Let me know when the next Colorado get together is as I can't wait to go and meet everyone!

Hi Leanne,

Welcome to the club!! Congrats on the new LEAF. You're going to be so so happy with this vehicle. This is one great(electric) machine.

I will add you and your husband's name to the database of Colorado LEAF owners.

You definitely will be informed about the next meeting for sure. The next meeting will most likely be at the Nissan dealer in Thornton.

By the way, I saw a silver leaf "filling up" at the Walgreen's in Castle Rock a few weeks ago.

Hi Leanne,

Would you mind posting your purchase info? Lease/buy? What dealership? I'm from Fort Collins and plan on being a future Leaf owner, but was originally waiting for the 2013. With some of the amazing lease deals that I've seen on the remaining 2012s, though, I've started looking for a good 2 yr lease agreement.

Thanks!

We got a 3 year lease. Sticker price of car was around 38,000. Nissan gave us the 7500.00 government credit and a 2000.00 internet discount, essentially giving us 10,000 off the lease deal, bringing the price of the car to around 28k. Our lease is for 3 years, we put 3k down and our payment is 235 a month.

Oh, I absolutely LOVE my leaf. We actually drove a Volt tonight (we can't have two vehicles restricted in miles) and didn't much like it. It was okay, but it was not my Leaf. And I did get the red one. There is absolutely nothing I don't love about this car. And I am even getting personalized plates for the first time in my life (I am 46, so not a young one saying that). Once I get my approved name I will post it here. Two of the names on my list were related to my car (who I named Eva), so we will see what happens. I have no idea how long this process will take.

So now, with our love for the Leaf and the Volt being not our favorite, my husband is thinking this way: pay off the Accord early next year (4 years early), and park it. Then by another Leaf for him to drive to work. We would still have the Accord for the long drives and road trips, but then we have 2 cars that don't take horribly priced gas.

Oh, and in 4 days we have save 46.00 in gas, if I were driving my F150 instead of my Leaf. I love you Eva!

Leanne,

Is your LEAF an SV or SL?

Your lease deal is amazing!!! I'm leasing my 2012 LEAF SL for 434.07/month for 4 years/12K miles per year. $2599.00 down payment.

I also leased the car in mid January 2012. The LEAF was a much hotter commodity back in January 2012 than it is now. The Leaf isn't selling as well as Nissan hoped. Plus, you got a good deal also because the 2013 models will be out between January and March.

Woo hoo! I just got a red SL from Larry Miller Nissan in Englewood for 0 down, $199/month for a 2 yr lease! Total after taxes and fees was $700 up front taxes and $215/month. :mrgreen:

Another 1 week old Colorado Leaf owner here )) what are U guys getting back from the state on your leases. I had spoken to 2 guys here and for 2 years lease we should get only part of the rebate. So far got 2 numbers - 1999$ and 700$. Anyone with accounting degree aroun here? What to expect in tax rebate?
Another issue - have you switched to "time of use metering"? I had spoken to IREA rep today and they definitely think that it's a cheaper way to go for the customer, given that U have Level 2 charger. Their rate will go up in Feb so. So it is now 10.9c and 7.5c and it will go up to 27c and 7.3 c beginning February. :(
And the sat one - level 2 charger and local installers - whom have U used and what chargers did you get? Looking at 2nd Gen Shchneider at Home Depot vs EasyUpgrade option.

For those of us who unfortunately have IREA as an electricity provider the contact number to request "time of use electric meter" is (303)688-3100, ext. 358 - Michelle

Viktor said:
Another 1 week old Colorado Leaf owner here )) what are U guys getting back from the state on your leases. I had spoken to 2 guys here and for 2 years lease we should get only part of the rebate. So far got 2 numbers - 1999$ and 700$. Anyone with accounting degree aroun here? What to expect in tax rebate?...
The Department of Revenue document on the tax credit, "FYI Income 67: Innovative Motor Vehicle Credit", is currently being revised. You can take a look at the older document "FYI Income 9: Alternative Fuel Income Tax Credits" to get an idea of how the credit works for leasing. [Be aware that this older FYI also includes information on the previous tax credit, now expired. FYI Income 67 will be specific to the current credit.]

The general idea is that the credit is first calculated then adjusted for the capitalized cost of the leased vehicle. They give this example:
Can a leased vehicle qualify for this credit?
Yes, lessees of qualifying vehicles are eligible for the alternative fuel vehicle credit. The available credit is calculated by subtracting the value of the vehicle when the lease expires from the cost of the vehicle to the lessor at the time of
the lease transaction (capitalized cost), and dividing that amount by the cost of the vehicle to the lessor at the time of the lease transaction. This percentage is then multiplied by the qualifying expenses to determine the amount of the
expenditure that can be used in computing the amount of the credit. Only the lessor or lessee of the vehicle may claim the credit. If the vehicle is converted at the factory, the lessor has the option of claiming the credit or passing the right to claim the credit to the lessee. If the lessee converts the vehicle, then only the lessee may claim the credit.

Example:
John leases a 2010 Toyota Prius valued at $23,550. The vehicle will have a value of $16,750 when the lease expires. The credit is computed as follows:
a. Value at time of lease $23,550
b. Value at end of lease $16,750
c. Line a minus Line b $6,800
d. Line c divided by Line a 28.9%
e. Full credit for vehicle $2,448
f. Credit available on lease line d times line e $707.00
Interpret this as you will. I believe the current tax credit for a purchased LEAF is $4815, so that would be your baseline (unless the calculation changes with the "FYI Income 67" revision). It should be the maximum $6000 but the DoR uses calculations of a comparable vehicle that are flat wrong and my attempts to get them to correct it were futile. If you live in the Denver metro area perhaps you can give it a try; it was too far away for me to pursue.

If you'd like to look at the actual law concerning the tax credits it is CRS 39-22-516.5. Tax credit for innovative motor vehicles

Need to look at my papers then. Anyone else here was able to fight DoR? It's should be obvious for anybody - 6000$ for an EV like Leaf.
Also, for CO - do we have any additional advantages while driving Leaf - like using those HOV lines for cars with 2 or more passengers? Anything else? No rebates for chargers or something else?

The Department of Revenue document on the tax credit, "FYI Income 67: Innovative Motor Vehicle Credit", is currently being revised. You can take a look at the older document "FYI Income 9: Alternative Fuel Income Tax Credits" to get an idea of how the credit works for leasing. [Be aware that this older FYI also includes information on the previous tax credit, now expired. FYI Income 67 will be specific to the current credit.]

Here is a copy of Income 67 before they pulled it: (Feb 2012)

http://boulderhc.com/FYI_Income67.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are probably revising it because some places they claim the max credit is 6000 and some places they claim 7500

What is used as the price of vehicle is what makes a huge difference.

In theory it should be CapCost - Rebates. I got a 9775 rebate from Nissan. However 7500 of that was the Federal Credit.
They state the price difference for the leaf is 13,920.00 - 7500(FTC) = 4815. So using those numbers the FTC is being taken out twice.

I want to only take out the FTC once.

I'm also a little concerned that in the past some lease companies claimed the rebate for themselves.

Andy

To cliam the Colorado Rebate dont you have to get in writing from leasing the company ?

dyll
ashp said:
To cliam the Colorado Rebate dont you have to get in writing from leasing the company ?

In theory yes. In reality as long as both don't try to claim a tax refund with the same VIN its probably ok. I think it was more of an issue when it was an actual rebate.

I'm talking to the lease company today and I'll ask them.

AndyLL said:
dyll
ashp said:

In theory yes. In reality as long as both don't try to claim a tax refund with the same VIN its probably ok. I think it was more of an issue when it was an actual rebate.

I'm talking to the lease company today and I'll ask them.

I did ask nissan finance while I was on the phone with them for something else and he said they do not take the credit. I don't have it in writing unless it's buried in the contract somewhere. I personally won't worry about it unless CO audits me.

Andy

Thanks, I agree. I was also told that Tax is not cliamed by Nissan or dealer. Also when I signed papers the rebate only showed Federal was cliamed by the leasing company . and you are right about the value of the car for the purpose of claiming the colorado tax rebate.

another point

We are paying Sales Tax on Full MSRP of the car if SL some where around 38000.

so for the purpose the rebate shouldn’t 38000 be used, even though after all rebates the adjusted capitalized cost is less ?

Back