NTB-12-086: Touchy Brake Fix Released. 2012 MY Fix Available

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
Good news! Nissan called and said the update is now complete! They let our LEAF sit over the weekend and the mechanic was able to complete the process this morning.

I had called first thing to let them know what had been said in this thread about reenrgizing the ultracapacitor, but it is not clear if that was the issue or not. I will post back if I learn anything more when I pick the car up in the morning.

I'm glad to be getting the car back without a major amount of work and with the improved braking software!

glad to hear your brake controller was "replaced" so quickly ;)

GeekEV said:
Though the brakes still feel a *little* touchy at extremely low creep speeds...
+1 In fact, they seem to be *more* grabby at creep speeds than they were before the reprogramming. So there may need to be a little bit of reprogramming for the drivers now. I'll take grabby brakes at creep over grabby brakes at 10MPH any day!

Here is a little more information about the update since none of us seem to have a copy of the NTB:

Brake System Part Number Before Reprogramming: 46007-3NA0A
Brake System Part Number After Reprogramming: 46007-3NA1A

(This information is somewhat useless to us right now since I don't think anyone has the ability to read part numbers for any system other than the center console. But perhaps we will have some possibility to read them using LEAFScan once it becomes available.)

From my paperwork, it seems the program associated with NTB012-086 may be referred to as PX65AA.

Here's the first page of the TSB:

pic

The problem is there is a typo, they specify 2011 vehicles, but then state that they must be built AFTER June 6th, 2012!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Here's the first page of the TSB:

The problem is there is a typo, they specify 2011 vehicles, but then state that they must be built AFTER June 6th, 2012!

-Phil

Lol, so they plan on including the bad firmware indefinitely :lol:

Glad to see it extended to my2012 vehicles. Now I can get it dealt with along with my upcoming battery check. Might not have noticed the brake issue had it been another car but other traits of the LEAF are so smooth that the brakes seem out of place.

Nubo said:
Lol, so they plan on including the bad firmware indefinitely :lol:
LOL! Yes, I suspect this is definitely true! =)

Nubo said:
Glad to see it extended to my2012 vehicles. Now I can get it dealt with along with my upcoming battery check. Might not have noticed the brake issue had it been another car but other traits of the LEAF are so smooth that the brakes seem out of place.
Looks like any car under VIN #23495 qualifies. I plan on getting mine at some point.

-Phil

I had this NTB performed yesterday during my annual battery check. It took way longer than planned, about 3.0 hours total time. In fact the lead mechanic gave me the entire NTB to read while I waited. Later he brought me back to the garage to see that they were in fact working on the car. They had a hangup at some point which caused the delay. I ask the mech how many times he has done this NTB, he said this was his second time.

All seems fixed. And they left a "courtesy" copy of the NTB on my passenger seat. It's about 20 pages, 30 something steps. Consult III this... Don't plug in EVSE that... etc. :?

I had this done a few weeks ago and I can say the TSB definitely fixes the touchy brakes! The brake feel is much better now. I was quoted 3 hours to perform this update so I just dropped off the car at 8 in the morning and picked it up at lunch time. I also had them run another battery check while I was at it so I can complain to Nissan more.

Got it done on Thursday. Brakes feel much more solid at slow speeds. Grabby no more! :)

Convincing the dealer/service writer to do it was interesting. They kept saying "there's no campain for your car" and I had to keep repeating the NTB number to get them to do the work!

I got a loaner car for the day... just a reminder that I never ever want to own an ICE again! Ick! ;)

RegGuheert said:
GeekEV said:
Though the brakes still feel a *little* touchy at extremely low creep speeds...
+1 In fact, they seem to be *more* grabby at creep speeds than they were before the reprogramming. So there may need to be a little bit of reprogramming for the drivers now. I'll take grabby brakes at creep over grabby brakes at 10MPH any day!
I got the impression from the earlier "Grabby Brakes" thread that some people were talking about one problem and others about a different one. That's what I'm reading again here. My brakes sometimes grab when creeping in traffic, but I have never experienced it at anywhere close to 10 mph.

Based on your report, I believe I will not want to get the update [if it even applies to my March 2011 car].

Ray

planet4ever said:
I got the impression from the earlier "Grabby Brakes" thread that some people were talking about one problem and others about a different one. That's what I'm reading again here. My brakes sometimes grab when creeping in traffic, but I have never experienced it at anywhere close to 10 mph.

Based on your report, I believe I will not want to get the update [if it even applies to my March 2011 car].

Ray
They're certainly different than before. I only really noticed an issue after the reprogramming when creeping into our garage, but now I have gotten used to the "new" brakes. Previously, I've had them basically lock up while trying to slow down from about 10 MPH at the end of the driveway. I'm very pleased with the improvement.

Perhaps you can a LEAF one with the new programming that you could try out to see if you would want it on your car. Maybe a new one from your dealer's lot would suffice for such a test.

I find the brake feel and performance at both slow speeds and creep speeds to be much better with the reprogram. It did take me a short time to adapt to the change since I had already adapted to and reprogrammed myself to deal with the issue and then had to unlearn it. It took them about 60 minutes to do it on my car while I waited.

Hmm. I think I noticed this grabby issue a couple days ago coming to a stop at a light. But I'm at just under 20K now and will be miffed if the dealership didn't do a full 15,000 service when I took it in to do my second tire rotation. I checked the paperwork and it doesn't say anything more than Customer Requests Tire Rotation. No battery check of course, I don't plan to do that until 22,500 mi but the brake flush and all that, I know it was too little for that kind of service but it's a pain that they didn't keep to their own maintenance schedule even if I was the first 15,000 LEAF they saw or will see for at least a few more months or year. But as for the grabby breaks, I'll try to live with it until January when I go in for that 22,500 rotation/check and go from there.

As for the Ultracaps in the read, I should think those are all about storing the energy from regenerative breaking since the regen is a high-power dump of energy and the caps smooth that dump into a power output that's nicer for the battery.

The battery check ("EV Battery Usage Report" per the manual) is to be done every 12 months regardless of miles ... looks like you're overdue by a week or so. Waiting until January might be stretching it a bit too far. It is to be performed at no charge to the customer for the 12 and 24 month check.

TimeHorse said:
As for the Ultracaps in the read, I should think those are all about storing the energy from regenerative breaking since the regen is a high-power dump of energy and the caps smooth that dump into a power output that's nicer for the battery.

The capacitors mentioned in this thread are for backup power to the braking system. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3935" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TimeHorse said:
But I'm at just under 20K now and will be miffed if the dealership didn't do a full 15,000 service when I took it in to do my second tire rotation.

I'm pretty sure it's on customer request only. You need to tell them to perform NTB-12-086. Belive me I got the "we don't have a campain for this" runaround when I went in for just this issue.

That reminds me, they lowered my tire pressure when I went in too! :x

Got NTB12086 done on my 2012 today. Brakes are excellent. Maybe it's placebo effect, but it seems that the transition between regen and friction happens at a higher speed and does so more seamlessly. I tried, but was not able to replicate the issue. But I only have about 30 miles on it since the update, so I need to do more driving.

Hi, I just had my leaf in for its first service and specifically asked for NTB 12-086. Is there a way I can confirm whether they have updatet it?
my software information screen now says:
Boot Ware (NK1):147
Application (NK2):147
Audio unit software:067
CAN uCOM software:030
Front Display software:030
BOLERO software:00.05
Bluetooth firmware:C230
Voice Recognition Engine:925-123-000
Voice Synthesis Engine:5.0.0.3-PS-P2
Voice recognition grammar version : 00001080
Record Data version: 00001020
Part number: 3ND0D
Switch software: 030000
TCU Software:3ND0000627
MAP Version: 10/07/30/01

Sorry... the center display only offers details for, well, the related center display telematics/infotainment systems. If the update is there, you won't have the problem. :lol:

I'm having this update done today. Since the problem is somewhat intermittent, is there any quick way to tell if the update was actually done? (as opposed to them giving me the car back and just saying they did it)

Back