Official smart fortwo electric drive thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the sticker and photo Skywagon!

Is it just me, or does the Smart look it it came out of a Chevron commercial? :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK6SCya2UJ4[/youtube]

Gary appears to be asking about pure pack VS LA4 distance, while the EPA deducts 30% 'fudge factor' for their consumption numbers.

Applees and banu-nus...or oranges...or something. :lol:

More here, Gary: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2433

I actually just sold my Dodge Nitro and bought a Smart Fourtwo Passion Coupe! I plan on selling it once I get my Leaf, but figured in the mean time I would have some fun. I sold my Nitro for $18,500 and bought a Passion Coupe for $18,000. While at the Smart Center (in La Vista, Nebraska) I saw 2 Electric Smarts'. The guy told me one had been spoken for while the other one hasn't. Went on a test drive and truly loved it, but I am sorry that lease is UNREASONABLE. I think if I really fall in love with the Smart and decide on a Smart EV, I would just wait for it to come out (the dealer told me that it will probably go for $20,000 or so).

Really liking the Smart fourtwo though! Really great car.

This forum does its share of smart bashing but if a smart car is driven as intended it's a pretty nice car (we own an '08 Passion Coupe); it's when folks compare them to other cars not in the same class (yes, you can buy a Yaris or some other small pint size car for around the same money but it won't have half the features or 'charm' of a smart). Like Hummer's (gasp!) they are an acquired taste -- ours is pretty much driven by my son who prefers it over our Mazda3 GT (doesn't care for it's brakes), our VW Routan (simply too big to park) or even our Miata (his feet touch both the brake and clutch -- would have to drive without shoes!); he loves the full sunroof, heated seats, auto lights and wipers and the fact that he can always find a big enough spot to park it. Now I wouldn't recommend it on looong trips (ours didn't have cruise control available, but again not its intended purpose) but we did take it up to the MI UP and back; other than the winds over the bridge in Green Bay it handled the trip quite well but many hours in the saddle will give you 'flat butt'. I think interest in these cars with go up again once the gas price average gets past say $4.25/gal again ... you all know it's coming just a matter of time!

Best of luck with your new smart -- we also wish the EV version was more reasonably priced but it's a limted test so we'll wait and see --- BTW my other son went to UNL; go Huskers!!

Here in Chicago it looks like the Ford Focus EV will beat both the smart ED and the LEAF to market but we're waiting and watching --

Yeah, I don't get the Smart car bashing. It is a great car. It handled the snow like a champ and the winds barely effect my driving, but to each their own. I am happy with my purchase and at the rate the Leaf is going I might end up getting a Smart EV before anyways. It also looks like the Ford Focus EV will make its way here before the Volt or Leaf. I am still unsure about the Smart EV. My cousin works at the LaVista Dealership (the Smart dealership for Omaha is attached to it) and he said "rumors" have the EV getting here in late November/early December. Who knows. It seems like we get new Fords here before anything else, not to mention "rumors" have the Ford Focus EV getting here in December as well. The Chevy dealer told me to not count on getting a Volt in NE before mid January (that was his liberal opinion as well). My Nissan dealership told me they MIGHT get a few Leafs to try out in the cold weather, but nothing was for certain.

I really like my Smart, and my dealer told me they (Smart) would be more than willing to buy back my car and put the money towards a Smart EV as soon as they get one. (Like I said "rumors" said late November/early December)

I go to UNO, but strongly considered UNL (almost ALL of my friends went there), but am happy with my decision. I go up there nearly every weekend and hang out. It is such a college town- I love it. Go Huskers is right, and our entry into the Big 10 is making the next College Football season seem like light years away.

I drove the Smart ForTwo ED today and, as much as I've always wanted to like these little cars, it was an equally disappointing experience to the one I had with the ICE version I tested several years ago. But instead of just the small niggle I had with the transmission of the latter, this car's major disappointment was complete and utter lackluster performance. It could barely keep up with the LEAF I was following, making me push the go-pedal into the mat with pretty much every traffic signal departure in an effort to keep up (and I don't think the LEAF driver was even trying). No, kiddies, this is one to stay away from unless you really do want a glorified NEV.

BTW, I know that these are supposed to be lease only, but it came with a window sticker indicating a $45k purchase price on the model I drove, making the LEAF look like a real bargain when you compare them side-by-side.

So I know this mini-review is not going to endear me to the folks from Smart very much, but I gotta tell it like it is. FWIW, I haven't hated everything they've brought to market - I thought the Smart ForFour was a pretty good little hatchback (though not massively attractive)!

228677_10150187898464844_704969843_6821206_3552604_n.jpg

228677_10150187898469844_704969843_6821207_3673446_n.jpg

228677_10150187898474844_704969843_6821208_5552061_n.jpg

228677_10150187898479844_704969843_6821209_5026322_n.jpg

redLEAF said:
Mercedes Benz updates the smart ED ... more 'real world' top speed and driving range, 0-60 better than the 'test' ED 2011 but still not all that quick for a car of this size; wonder how much?

I'd like to have a crack at it. If the more powerful motor would at least solve the problem of poor acceleration off the line, even if it did take a fair old time to reach 60mph, that would be half the battle. So would being able to cruise comfortably at 65mph.

Third gen ED officially unveiled at Frankfurt today:

The electric drive, unveiled for the first time in Frankfurt, will go on sale spring 2012 with an improved drivetrain boasting greater range and a higher top speed: now 86 miles and 74mph respectively. It's quicker to, hitting 37mph in five seconds.

http://uk.autoblog.com/2011/09/13/frankfurt-motor-show-smart-electric-drive-and-forvision/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If there is already a dedicated Smart ForTwo Electric thread I couldn't find, please post there, not here, so I can delete the redundant thread.

10/5/12 edit:

The ED3 seems to have a significantly different drive-train (see my post below on this page) from earlier versions of the Smart ForTwo, and will be available to US retail buyers at a much lower price, so, IMO, it should have it's own thread.

...The best part of the electric ForTwo’s pricing, is that it does NOT include the $7,500 federal rebate, which the Smart fully qualifies for with its 17.6 kWh battery, making the car effectively $17,500...

http://insideevs.com/evs-just-got-cheap-smart-fortwo-electric-drive-priced-at-25000-pre-rebate-for-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
If there is already a dedicated Smart ForTwo Electric thread I couldn't find, please post there, not here, so I can delete the redundant thread.

...The best part of the electric ForTwo’s pricing, is that it does NOT include the $7,500 federal rebate, which the Smart fully qualifies for with its 17.6 kWh battery, making the car effectively $17,500...

http://insideevs.com/evs-just-got-cheap-smart-fortwo-electric-drive-priced-at-25000-pre-rebate-for-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

used to be called the smart 'ED' (for electric drive) ... one of a few threads from the past ...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=540&hilit=smart+ED

but at 18kWh, it is only likely to get 40-50 miles range. Smart forTwo is not exactly aero efficient, but it is small and a great city car. Just not suited for what I need it to do.

palmermd said:
but at 18kWh, it is only likely to get 40-50 miles range. Smart forTwo is not exactly aero efficient, but it is small and a great city car. Just not suited for what I need it to do.
Maybe 40-50 mi on the freeway - but then again I know that the old one did 50 miles on the freeway with a smaller battery.

City range I expect will be very good - 70-80 miles should be trivial due to it's light weight.

The price is really killer - but then again Fontana is giving $7k discounts on new LEAFs so that puts a SV at $28k - not too much more.

smkettner said:
What was the price before?

If you look at the old thread ... '11 was available on a lease only for $599/mo for 48 months or a total of $28,752 on a car you gave back ... quite expensive and unfortunately very slow. We happen to still own an '08 ICE smart coupe version which was considerably less money but of course not electric drive; it's still a two seater after all but if you already had a charger in your garage it would be a real inexpensive way to add another EV to your commuter fleet; despite what others have said, it's a great little car that includes stuff you don't find in its price class, just don't expect a luxury ride!

EDIT: in IL this car could be as little as $15,000 if they offer the IL EPA rebate; quite the deal

When Car2Go started bringing them out last year, the had the CA DMV paperwork in the window and I remember them saying $46000 as the selling price. But this was one arm of Daimler buying from another, so it may have been that high to boost Smarts numbers and let Car2Go write off more as a loss.

The road test review below indicates just how different this BEV from earlier versions, so I suppose it may deserve this new thread. Emphasis added:

...Compared to the earlier ForTwo Electric Drive model, the ED3 has a more powerful motor and a battery pack--no longer designed by Tesla Motors--that is much more tolerant of cold weather.

The electric motor powering the rear wheels produces 35 kilowatts (47 horsepower) of continuous power, and a peak output of 55 kW (74 hp). Maximum torque is an even 100 lb-ft.

That compares to the previous model's 20 kW (27 hp) sustained and 30 kW (40 hp) peak output, with 89 lb-ft of torque.
The liquid-cooled battery pack adds about 330 pounds to the weight of the standard Smart ForTwo, so it's hardly a light car...

But despite the high seating position--you're actually sitting higher than drivers of low compacts like Honda Civics--the weight is as low as it can be.

That means the Smart ED3 handles well, corners decently, and soaks up bumps, manhole covers, cobblestone streets, gaps, crevaces, and misaligned concrete slabs with relative aplomb.

7-hour recharge

Smart recommends that owners purchase a 240-Volt Level 2 charging station, which will recharge an entirely depleted battery in 6 to 7 hours via a 3.3-kW onboard charger.

Charging the pack from 20 to 80 percent capacity, however, takes only 3.5 hours. No fast-charging option is offered on ED3s sold in the U.S.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079596_2013-smart-electric-drive-test-lowest-priced-electric-car-in-u-s/page-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
The liquid-cooled battery pack adds about 330 pounds to the weight of the standard Smart ForTwo, so it's hardly a light car...

It weighs less than a ton (2000lbs.), so I would call that 'light' for a car.

Back