Phoenix Range Test Sept 15, 2012 planning!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tow dolly damage to cars, improvised and missed routes, surprising range results, 5 sleepless people, lots of ranting about Nissan, numerous Blink quirks, 1 recruited tester that just randomly showed up...

opossum said:
Tow dolly damage to cars, improvised and missed routes, surprising range results, 5 sleepless people, lots of ranting about Nissan, numerous Blink quirks, 1 recruited tester that just randomly showed up...

what a tease!!!! details!! where are the details?

opossum said:
Re: the damage, oh no!

My guess before the post was that you guys were running behind due to the towing, might've been eating and/or busy talking amongst yourselves. There's always a lot to talk about when a bunch of car enthusiasts get together.

We definitely ran long. It was a lot of work, especially when cars started *really* overshooting the finish line and we had to chase them up to 11 miles further down various freeways and replan routes for the later cars. Tony has all the data, but will be on the road back to SD after we finish breakfast/lunch.

opossum said:
opossum said:
We definitely ran long. It was a lot of work, especially when cars started *really* overshooting the finish line and we had to chase them up to 11 miles further down various freeways and replan routes for the later cars. Tony has all the data, but will be on the road back to SD after we finish breakfast/lunch.
Thanks for the updates! I'm very sorry to hear of any damage to the cars, but it sounds as if everyone is O.K. That's good news!

Thanks again to all for doing this test. We're looking forward to learning the surprising range results (which sound like they are higher than expected)!

opossum said:

so more range than route?? sounds like a good thing

RegGuheert said:
Thanks for the updates! I'm very sorry to hear of any damage to the cars, but it sounds as if everyone is O.K. That's good news!

Thanks again to all for doing this test. We're looking forward to learning the surprising range results (which sound like they are higher than expected)!

+1

opossum said:
Tow dolly damage to cars
Falls into the general category of no good deed goes unpunished. Hope that more details will emerge and be useful. Thanks for sharing...

DaveinOlyWA said:
opossum said:

so more range than route?? sounds like a good thing

I'm very sorry to hear you guys had so much trouble. I hoped with all the planning it would go quite smooth. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have spoken up and pressed for my original suggestion that you turn around at the next exit after you pass 50% instead of picking the turn around exit based on the starting Gid count. Hopefully not all the cars went too far past and not all had trouble on the dollies. Looking forward to your results post. I'm sure it will be enlightening for all of us.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
I doubt anybody thought it would go perfectly--there wasn't much time to plan--but definitely interested to hear some results!

it sounded like a great adventure and opportunity to really share some notes. i wish i could have been involved.

palmermd said:
I'm very sorry to hear you guys had so much trouble. I hoped with all the planning it would go quite smooth. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have spoken up and pressed for my original suggestion that you turn around at the next exit after you pass 50% instead of picking the turn around exit based on the starting Gid count. Hopefully not all the cars went too far past and not all had trouble on the dollies. Looking forward to your results post. I'm sure it will be enlightening for all of us.

Well, I think the "troubles" were manageable. I did the first run at 3:10am-4:28am. I turned around at 48.4% Gid.

I came within 2 miles of my predicted range, however I missed a turn (10 to 202 eastbound) and ended up on 10-60-101. I haven't measured yet how that changed the route mileage, but one exit was closed (10 at Cotton) so I turn around 4 miles early (again, 48%... but that's of 281 Gid... the BC2BC LEAF, all of 3.5 months old, could only get 250 Gid today).

So, I overshot the target recovery point by about 5 miles.

My car got the same nerfs on the bottom of the "chin" that about 3 other LEAFs got. However, one got a good gouge. That really sucked. We used the Nissan (or AAA, not sure which) one time, and eleven others were towed with our four truck/dollies.

I stayed up all night, as did several of us, setting up the cars. A lot to do.

I'm on the way home, just stopping for food and gasoline <<< yuk!!! $200 in gas so far.

We started the morning driver meeting just a few minutes late, and the first morning car was launched at 6:10am. We launched cars to arrive with 15 minute increments, and the last car hit turtle sometime after 9am. Beautiful weather!!!

We spent the next few hours picking up all the cars, cleaning up, and lunch at just before noon. I started the return drive about an hour later. Should be home at 10pm, for my first sleeping since yesterday!

Why don't those of us who are following what Tony et all were doing for all of us, chip in some money to help offset some of the costs. I would gladly donate $20. Any thoughts?

downeykp said:
Why don't those of us who are following what Tony et all were doing for all of us, chip in some money to help offset some of the costs. I would gladly donate $20. Any thoughts?
I think it is a splendid idea. I was thinking the same thing (that Tony should be reimbursed for his expenses), but wasn't sure how to go about it. If anyone has any suggestions for implementing the plan, let's hear them.

opossum said:
We used the quick charger for most of the cars to get them to 100-ish, then L2 to finish them off. We have 11 cars fully charged right now...

Is there some chance that a car charged completely on L2 could get a higher GID reading then one done on QC to ~90+%, then taking L2 on top of that?

Just had to ask since I keep reading the reports of low max GID readings even on relatively new LEAFs.

leafkabob said:
downeykp said:
I think it is a splendid idea. I was thinking the same thing (that Tony should be reimbursed for his expenses), but wasn't sure how to go about it. If anyone has any suggestions for implementing the plan, let's hear them.
If Tony has a PayPal account, you can send money directly to his account. You just need to know the email address he uses for his PayPal account. Of course you have to have a PayPal account too (not absolutely sure about needing an Acct to send the money) but if both have accounts, I know it works because I've done it before.

Thanks to TonyWilliams and the rest of the crew for letting me join the test at the last minute. Good thing my range has been limited so much that I had to stop by PADT last night for a charge before I went to dinner!! If there is anything else I can do to help out just let me know. Check out my website at http://wiltingleaf.com to learn more about my experience with my Nissan Leaf. Hope you made it hope safely Tony.

Back