2012 Aug Plugin Sales Discussion Thread: Volt-2,831;Leaf-685

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Main Plugin Numbers Thread : http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9863&p=224125#p224125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

August is abut to end - that means August numbers would be out soon. I'm assuming 4th of Sep, given that 3rd is a holiday.

Volt apparently had a banner month with moe than 2,500 sales.

I think attractive lease rates are a big reason.

Volt : 2,831
PIP : 1.047

Leaf : 685
i : 37

evnow said:

+1

In addition, I think their massive advertising campaign during the Olympics also played a role.

And the fact is that the reports from Volt owners are almost universally positive, not just from particular regions of the country. Positive word of mouth certainly will move some off the fence to make a purchase.

RegGuheert said:
In addition, I think their massive advertising campaign during the Olympics also played a role.
Didn't move the needle. A complete bomb. The Cadillac ATS ads on the other hand were "da bomb" with a huge uptick in consideration.

Chevy ads were mostly about eAssist for the Malibu or Cruze. Not much if anything specific about the Volt.

SanDust said:
Didn't move the needle.
The needle moved. Sorry, but you saying the ads didn't help doesn't make it so.
SanDust said:
Chevy ads were mostly about eAssist for the Malibu or Cruze. Not much if anything specific about the Volt.
It doesn't matter what the ads were about if they got people into the showroom. People often buy something other than they originally intended.

The ad that I think made the difference was the "bring it back if you don't love it" ads. Brilliant marketing, IMO!

RegGuheert said:
It doesn't matter what the ads were about if they got people into the showroom. People often buy something other than they originally intended.

The ad that I think made the difference was the "bring it back if you don't love it" ads. Brilliant marketing, IMO!
No uptick (well maybe minor) in consideration for any Chevy vehicle. Can't move the needle much less than that. Here's just one article explaining how it did (or didn't) work. http://www.edmunds.com/industry-center/analysis/olympic-advertising-lifts-bmw-and-cadillac.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SanDust said:
No uptick (well maybe minor) in consideration for any Chevy vehicle. Can't move the needle much less than that. Here's just one article explaining how it did (or didn't) work. http://www.edmunds.com/industry-center/analysis/olympic-advertising-lifts-bmw-and-cadillac.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link. I stand corrected!

It's interesting to me that they concluded that focusing on a particular car (Cadillac ATS) made the difference, considering that car is not even for sale. But, as I said, the key is getting people into the showroom.

I thought the Chevrolet Confidence was a winner, but I wonder if people were turned off by the No Haggle stuff. Nobody buys that! (I loved the "Good job, baby!" line, though!)

evnow said:

Agree. CA green HOV sticker and CVRP sure help too.

I think it'll be Leaf < PiP < Volt again.

the range and reliability is giving the volt a steady climb. I think it's hard for us BEV fans to admit to ourselves just how much unlimited range means to the consumer. I believe the Leaf needs to double it's range to gain market viability and now that the batteries are at issue, Nissan will need to offer a solid capacity warranty to overcome the headwind as well.

GaslessInSeattle said:
the range and reliability is giving the volt a steady climb.
It's sad but true that the Volt achieves better durability than the LEAF even though it includes a gasoline ICE engine, fuel system, exhaust system, complex transmission with multiple clutches, battery cooling system, etc.

It's also funny that one of the reasons I chose the LEAF over the Volt was I didn't want all those other systems that could fail. But the main reason was that the Volt simply didn't suit our needs as well as the LEAF.

evnow said:
August is abut to end - that means August numbers would be out soon. I'm assuming 4th of Sep, given that 3rd is a holiday.

Another reason (Xpost from:)

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=713&start=1350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Details on GM's current dealer incentive program to goose August Volt sales, as reported by Jay Cole:

"...Why the sudden take off at the end of the 2012 model year, after three months at a selling level of about 1,700?

Malko said, “As people see their neighbors have one and as they start to understand the technology and are able to drive it, they put it into their consideration.” While also adding that the 2012s were not being discounted to clear lots.

The last statement is where the water starts to get a little murky.

It Is Not A Discount, But An Incentive To Sell

There is no question the Volt has been a sold seller, especially compared to the other plug-in offerings on the market, besting even the plug-in Prius in 3 of the past 4 months.

However, if you have been in the market for a Volt of late, there is no way to not notice the massive discounting going on in August.

And while GM is right in saying they are not ‘discounting’ the outgoing 2012 Volt over the 2013s, InsideEVs has learned that there is a dealer incentive program running behind the scenes that is exerting enormous pressure on many dealers to move Volts (both 2012 and 2013 model years) for way below invoice pricing during August and into early September.

According to sources to InsideEVs, the program works like this:

GM gives each dealership a target number of Volt sales between May and September. And if that dealership sells triple that number, the dealer gets a $2,500 credit towards future floor product purchases from GM on EVERY Volt they have sold during this period. The wind down of this program is September 4th.

Alright, How About $3,000 Off Then? Now Really Is The Time To Buy A Chevy Volt

So, imagine yourself as a dealer; and GM gives you a (3x) magic number of 120 Volts as a sales target. Now imagine yourself sitting at 100 Volts sold in mid August. If you move 20 more Volts over the next 2 or 3 weeks, you are going to receive $300,000 in credits from GM. If you fail to sell those last 20, you are going to get nothing.

How desperate are you to move those last 20?...
"

http://insideevs.com/best-sales-month-e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... re-is-why/

I'm a little surprised that the Volt is outselling the PiP. I think the PiP ends up cheaper after all the rebates (even though its fed tax credit is only $2500), it's quite a bit more roomy, and it gets much better mileage after you run out of charge. The driving dynamics are probably better in the Volt, but I don't know that more mainstream buyers will care much. Is it just a "buy american" thing? If you already have a Leaf, which one really makes the most sense for a small family?

I know the electric range of the Volt is better, but I'm thinking that the better mileage while running on gas would probably overall compensate for that, unless your commute falls in that sweet spot between the PiP's e-range and the Volt's e-range.

I wish someone would sell a fun small EV like the Roadster, only for a lot less money.

leafedbehind said:
I know the electric range of the Volt is better, but I'm thinking that the better mileage while running on gas would probably overall compensate for that, unless your commute falls in that sweet spot between the PiP's e-range and the Volt's e-range.
I don't think many Americans have a daily commute which fits within the e-range of the PiP. Forty miles really was an excellent target for the Volt. It allows most people to move all of their commuting over to electric. And it seems GM is intent on growing that number steadily over time.

RegGuheert said:
leafedbehind said:
I don't think many Americans have a daily commute which fits within the e-range of the PiP. Forty miles really was an excellent target for the Volt. It allows most people to move all of their commuting over to electric. And it seems GM is intent on growing that number steadily over time.
Re: Sales of Volt vs Prius for high mileage considerations
I think over 40 MPG people tend to blur the "great" mileage comparisons. For 40 MPG vs 50 MPG and a 200 mile trip that is 5 gal vs 4 gal. $4 in gas. Not sure if other high mileage cars do 50 MPG when driving at 70 MPH but I'm not sure.

I am quite happy with the gas only mileage actually. I got > 42 MPG last weekend driving 70 MPH! I reset my Trip B Odo 0.9 miles after the gas generator/engine turned on as these two photos prove.

These are the same single leg of our weekend trip but different views.
See 288 miles on gas (38 miles on battery):

louisvillecimg6175resiz.jpg

70 MPH & 42+MPG - see 287 miles on gas (so does not include battery miles) - reset 0.9 miles after ICE started:
louisvillecimg6174resiz.jpg

It seems Nissan had an internal push in August to move out some of their LEAF inventory, also. Today we stopped by the dealer where we purchased out LEAF and they moved THREE LEAFs yesterday, August 31. This is a dealership which had sold a total of six LEAFs prior to yesterday. How did they do it? They offered some incentives to the dealerships and very attractive leases to the dealership employees. In other words, the three LEAFs moved yesterday were leased to Nissan dealership employees for 24 months.

I wonder if we will see an uptick in August from this program. The numbers have been so anemic lately that it wouldn't take too much to make a noticeable improvement.

RegGuheert said:
It seems Nissan had an internal push in August to move out some of their LEAF inventory, also. Today we stopped by the dealer where we purchased out LEAF and they moved THREE LEAFs yesterday, August 31. This is a dealership which had sold a total of six LEAFs prior to yesterday. How did they do it? They offered some incentives to the dealerships and very attractive leases to the dealership employees. In other words, the three LEAFs moved yesterday were leased to Nissan dealership employees for 24 months.

I wonder if we will see an uptick in August from this program. The numbers have been so anemic lately that it wouldn't take too much to make a noticeable improvement.

One would think sales would fully stall until Nissan makes a statement on the battery tests, etc.

mdh said:
One would think sales would fully stall until Nissan makes a statement on the battery tests, etc.

Local Nissan dealer seems to be making a big sales push on Leafs. Battery isn't a big issue locally.

WetEV said:
mdh said:
Local Nissan dealer seems to be making a big sales push on Leafs. Battery isn't a big issue locally.
We overheard sales staff from Stevens Creek Nissan talk to a prospect recently. Everyone thinks that the battery problem is localized to hot climates and even there it won't affect all owners. So in that sense, Nissan's press releases mitigated the worst impact. It looks like the buying public and dealers alike simply don't know enough about batteries to make a qualified judgement.

Back