Extra forward underbody piece on newer LEAFs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aqn

Leaf Supporting Member
Continued from "DIY Horn Upgrade Mod - Updated Jan 12":
soareyes said:
I installed my new Wolo 320-2T horn today and it works great. I wanted to go through the bottom of the car but I ran into a problem. First I took the lower pan off:
[...]
I found this separate panel installed between the bumper and frame:

I hadn't seen this panel mentioned in anyone else's install. I removed all the bolts and pins that I could see to try and remove it, but it wouldn't budge. Closer inspection showed that it has rear horizontal tabs that slot into the metal frame, and the front extends into the bumper cover. To me, it looks like you might have to take the bumper cover off to drop this panel. I gave up and went in through the top to install the horns. The build date of my car is 3/2012.

Anyone figure out how to get this panel out?
That's interesting. Older LEAF's don't have that "honeycomb" piece. My LEAF doesn't have it (VIN 1333, delivered 4/2011). Tony Williams' pics, from his "Underneath the Beast; a Tour of the Dark Side" post, also does not show that piece:

On my LEAF, I'd be looking right at the horn and the radiator once the fiber underbody panel is removed.
(Obviously, not having that piece, I have no info on how to remove it.)

What's your LEAF's VIN and delivery date?

I remember reading this was installed in cars that were shipped to colder climates. Also a recall was issued to owners in cold climates that didn't have this extra piece. No clue on what it actually prevents.

IIRC, the extra piece is meant to provide a stiff support for the panel so that snow doesn't break through the panel and pile into the "engine bay".

I was told it is to keep snow from accumulating in the engine compartment. Apparently the aerodynamics in that area sucks snow up if there are more than a few inches on the road. The panel that is already there wasn't sufficient.

Seems kind of a far-fetched, but in my area only cars with the cold weather package got it.

aqn said:
What's your LEAF's VIN and delivery date?

VIN 20156, build date 3/2012, purchased 5/2012 off the lot at Fontana Nissan here in S. California. I guess it could be an orphan from a colder climate state. It won't see much snow here in the Mojave desert!

When I brought my Leaf in for the software update from the recall, they also installed this. I was curious what it was and they didn't really explain.

I have one of the first cold weather package Leafs that I bought from Fontana, but now have it in Denver.

I thought it was just to keep the road shmutz from coming into the area. I guess that definition covers snow too. I like it.

This winter should be interesting with the first drive in snow.

Given how screwed up this summer was, that might be in Oct again.

This morning I was over at the local Nissan dealership and looked at 3 2012 cars, but none of them had this piece. Must be for cold weather only!

I suspect that snow and ice can enter through the grill.
This insert probably supports the weight to keep it off the under-pan,
which might bend down and become a scoop.
Also, the insert probably blocks the slot underneath the radiator,
keeping the snow and ice from sliding back past the radiator.

ksnogas2112 said:
I thought it was just to keep the road shmutz from coming into the area. I guess that definition covers snow too. I like it.

This winter should be interesting with the first drive in snow.

Given how screwed up this summer was, that might be in Oct again.

Hi Kansas, Omaha here, and i'm anxious to see how the first winter and snow deals with me LEAF

Back