Blink 2.1

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have same problem with Blink charger.
Technician told me they don't have SD card and has to order it from ECOtality guys.
Can any one make an image from working card? Mine is definitely corrupted.
If you "Linux guy" it will be not a problem at all:
(dd if=/dev/disk1 of=~/mySD.iso)

I had many (at least 6) months of trouble-free use with Blink 2.0 upgrade. In July I have had 4 "Self-test default" errors and the orange screen. After the upgrade to 2.0, I didn't pay much attention to what version I had. Now I am at Blink 2.1.20120404B, so at some point (timing unknown to me) Blink pushed another upgrade to my charger dock. Is Blink 2.1 buggy or is it the SD card again? I have had the SD card replaced before the 2.0 upgrade, as well as adding a power line adapter to improve the internet connection. Called Blink so they have written up a ticket. It's a shame that the unit has so many problems.

linkim said:
I had many (at least 6) months of trouble-free use with Blink 2.0 upgrade. In July I have had 4 "Self-test default" errors and the orange screen. After the upgrade to 2.0, I didn't pay much attention to what version I had. Now I am at Blink 2.1.20120404B, so at some point (timing unknown to me) Blink pushed another upgrade to my charger dock. Is Blink 2.1 buggy or is it the SD card again? I have had the SD card replaced before the 2.0 upgrade, as well as adding a power line adapter to improve the internet connection. Called Blink so they have written up a ticket. It's a shame that the unit has so many problems.

Today I was planning to drive my LEAF to San Francisco so calculated it would take 3 hrs to charge to 100%. So 3 hrs prior to departure, I connected to the Blink with the timer over ride set. The Blink crashed and I got the orange screen. Rebooted the Blink and connected again, but same problem. I could have used the portable upgraded EVSE from the car, but had an appointment so didn't want to mess around any more. My irritation got the better of me so I ended up driving my Prius to the appointment and later to SF. Prior to today, I was able to reboot the Blink and charge using the timer. Today's problem made me wonder if the request to charge now, and not with the timer, had anything to do with the crashes. The Blink contractor will come on Monday 7/30 so maybe I will get the answer.

This thread prompted me to find out what version my blink was on. I could not find it, but the alarm log does show frequent and repeated failures to upgrade to 2.0 I called blink and it seems that they have had me on the list to get my SD card replaced for quite a while, but haven't acted on it yet. I can still charge every time, so I told them not to rush if they have others that are more in need than I.

FairwoodRed said:
This thread prompted me to find out what version my blink was on. I could not find it....
It's shown on the Device Info screen, which is accessed from the Settings menu:

blink2-1.jpg

Mine is still on ver. 2.0, and hasn't yet updated to 2.1. Like yours, it would only update to 2.0 after they swapped out the SD card.

TT

Been pretty fortunate to date. We're completing our 5th day on 2.1. No problems yet. Didn't have any issues with 2.0 and haven't needed a SD card swap so far.

I came home from a few days away to a "dead" blink. I left the car unplugged and when I plugged it in, the car didn't go through the usual clickity clack. Power cycled the blink and after waiting through the "calibrate screen" screen, it finally let me plug in, and it charged OK last night.

This morning when I unplugged I noticed it said "Your blink is updating" or something to that affect. A few seconds later (as I was pulling out of the grarage), the screen was blank. Guess we'll see what happens. I bet it locked up again.

My Blink just updated to 2.1 after being on 2.0 for a couple of months. However, the update was not painless. I came home this evening to find the backlight on but the screen blank and no response to touching the screen or plugging in the car. I powercycled the Blink and it came up and did the update successfully.

2.1 is now working fine. This unit has been very reliable under 2.0, to the point where I've actually started using the blink timer so I can leave the Leaf on 80% 24-hour for charging elsewhere. I hope 2.1 is as good.

DoxyLover said:
I hope 2.1 is as good.
2.1 has been flawless for me once my SD card was swapped out to get the upgrade. Currently my Blink reports 56 days of uptime. With 1.8 it was lucky to make it a week.

DoxyLover said:
...This unit has been very reliable under 2.0, to the point where I've actually started using the blink timer so I can leave the Leaf on 80% 24-hour for charging elsewhere. I hope 2.1 is as good.
I'd like to do that too. Do you set the Leaf start and end timers to the same time and 80%, and set the blink timer to the middle of the night?

That's what I do. Car is 12-12/always set to 80%, and just use the Blink timers to charge off-peak at home. When I need 100%, I hit timer off... or hit charge via the web site or the app.

I came home to a locked up blink again. Power cycled and it did the update when it booted. Seemed to come up ok and charged last night so I can't complain too much.

grommet said:
That's what I do. Car is 12-12/always set to 80%, and just use the Blink timers to charge off-peak at home. When I need 100%, I hit timer off... or hit charge via the web site or the app.
Indeed, that is what I do.

ttweed said:
My Blink is still on 2.0 as of this morning.

TT
Update:
I checked again this morning and it appears that my Blink updated to 2.1 around Aug 1, according to what I can glean from the log file. The update was totally transparent to me, obviously, since I hadn't even checked the firmware version in a couple weeks, and hadn't noticed any difference in performance. The unit has never failed to charge the car in 16 months of ownership now, and had only one problem where the display crapped out and they brought out a new SD card, which fixed that problem and allowed the update to 2.0 to be received a few months ago. At the same time, they discovered burnt insulation on one of the contactor power wires and replaced it, but it has been chugging along ever since with no further problems.

TT

ttweed said:
ttweed said:
My Blink is still on 2.0 as of this morning.

TT
Update:
I checked again this morning and it appears that my Blink updated to 2.1 around Aug 1, according to what I can glean from the log file. The update was totally transparent to me, obviously, since I hadn't even checked the firmware version in a couple weeks, and hadn't noticed any difference in performance. The unit has never failed to charge the car in 16 months of ownership now, and had only one problem where the display crapped out and they brought out a new SD card, which fixed that problem and allowed the update to 2.0 to be received a few months ago. At the same time, they discovered burnt insulation on one of the contactor power wires and replaced it, but it has been chugging along ever since with no further problems.

TT

There's a coincidence.

I noticed yesterday that my Unit was updated on Aug 2nd. Looks like Blink are pushoing out updates fast a furious now. Like you the update went through without my knowledge or intervention. Be interesting to see how stable this software is. 2.0 was good and I see others claiming 2.1 is better.

In the 13 months I've had my unit I've not had a single problem out of it (other than some of the flaky firmware), never missed a charge ever.

JP

After a couple of months with Blink, I am suddenly getting self-test failures. Never got them before, and I think it started around the time the 2.1 update was pushed to my Blink - about 3 weeks ago.

Here's what happens: I drive home, plug the Leaf in, it's on a timer so usually it clicks a few times and then goes into standby mode. All is well. But now, every two or three times, instead of going into standby the Blink alarm sounds and I get the "orange screen of death". It instructs me to touch the screen to reset, but after a few seconds I get the self test failure again. The only way out of it is unplugging/plugging the unit and redoing the screen calibration, etc. This always works, but is time consuming and annoying. Note - it's never failed to charge (knock on wood) and otherwise never given any problems.

I will be calling Blink his week, but has anyone else experienced this?

After you plug the unit back in- Do not touch the screen. It will eventually revert to its previous settings. Saves some of the frustration. Sometimes, I have have to power cycle it up to 3 or 4 times to get it functioning.

drees posted at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=9638#p218712" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
drees said:
According to the tech who replaced my SD card to get it updated to 2.0 (and then 2.1), this is a common issue with older units which have been upgraded to 2.0. Apparently the ground-fault sensing logic is more sensitive in 2.0+ and the current sensors (CTs) in the older units tended to be placed too close to the junction block causing them to pick up spurious noise which can trigger ground fault false alarms.

A reset will clear the error, but the proper fix is to move the CTs away from the junction block and tie them in place with tie-wraps to hold them in place.

If you're getting this error, call up Blink and have them send out a tech - they should know what to do. They'll either do the above or just replace the unit.

dandrewk said:
After a couple of months with Blink, I am suddenly getting self-test failures. Never got them before, and I think it started around the time the 2.1 update was pushed to my Blink - about 3 weeks ago.

Here's what happens: I drive home, plug the Leaf in, it's on a timer so usually it clicks a few times and then goes into standby mode. All is well. But now, every two or three times, instead of going into standby the Blink alarm sounds and I get the "orange screen of death". It instructs me to touch the screen to reset, but after a few seconds I get the self test failure again. The only way out of it is unplugging/plugging the unit and redoing the screen calibration, etc. This always works, but is time consuming and annoying. Note - it's never failed to charge (knock on wood) and otherwise never given any problems.

dandrewk said:

I think you have it right, give them a call or contact via email. Their customer service is pretty good IMHO.

Whilst we have these units under warranty service is quick and easy. It won't be long before we are out of the EV Project and responsible for paying for repairs (or buying additional coverage). Having a plan B in case the unit fails is smart. Clearly L1 is the backup available to all LEAF drivers, but I prefer Level 2 backup.

I got a pigtail to fit the plug the Blink is using so that I can use my evseupgrade.com upgraded vehicle supplied evse as my level 2 backup.

(Plan C is parking at city hall walking the 1.1 miles home and back again once its ready).

Back