Adding a backup camera to the SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mynameisjim

Has anyone looked in to adding, or successfully added, a backup camera to the SV? I am currently trying to decide between the SV and the SL and the backup camera is the only feature of the SL that I think I'd use on a routine basis.

Perhaps someone knows if the nav unit supports the camera on both versions (software update or no?) or if the car is pre-wired for the camera. Perhaps the NAV accepts any after market camera?

Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

For starters, you would need to replace the rear hatch handle assembly with one that includes the camera (see this post).

This would be an interesting upgrade to perform. Given that Ingineer has been swapping nav units with no mention of differences between SV and SL models, I would think the support is there.

The last remaining issue is whether or not the wiring exists. I have no idea.

garsh said:
This would be an interesting upgrade to perform. Given that Ingineer has been swapping nav units with no mention of differences between SV and SL models, I would think the support is there.
Ingeneer has not been swapping Nav units. He's been swapping climate control modules (the button cluster under the NAV). This an entirely separate piece of hardware.

It would be interesting to see if the NAV unit is different between an SL and SV. Even if the hardware is the same, the firmware might be different. Or it might be as simple as the firmware looking to see if the camera signal is there.

However, in any case, I'd bet you'd need the wiring in addition to the camera.

I found the handle on this Site http://www.nissanpartswarehouse.com/nissan-leaf-parts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but important not sure if the handle actually includes the camera, I doubt it. They want $87.

Edit, the camera is $466, wow

I have seen it both ways with my experience in other cars and adding optional accessories after the fact. Meaning, I have seen it where the wiring harness is there and after buying the accessory, just plug it in. I have also seen it where the wiring is NOT there and I had to add the wiring hardness myself.

My suggestion is to pull the rear hatch trim (from behind) and see just what's in there. From memory, there were a few clips to pop out and then typically just pressure clips that hold the trim in place. With the trim removed, you will most likely see what wiring is there. There definitely will be wiring for both the wiper and the trunk release button. So look around from a component that looks like its not plugged into anything - that is typically the tell-tail sign that something can plug in there.

If you can find a schematic of the car, that will also tell you. Perhaps someone with a service manual can chime in.

With that being said, I would place my bet on when you get the camera plugged into the wiring harness, it will begin working right away. I find it highly unlikely that there's anything software related in the nav unit. In fact, if you go into the secret settings menu (turn off radio, press Map three times, Radio Power two times, Map once - quickly) you can go to the camera settings (select Confirmation/Adjustment --> select Camera) and see if they are there.

Back