100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
002.JPG

• Date: May 26, 2012, started at 6:10 pm, trip took 2:19 hr.
• Trip: San Leandro to Sacramento, 100.1 mi.
• Approximate Elevation Range Sequence:
110' to 20', 3 blocks
20’ to 400’, 3 blocks to 1.0 mi.
400’ to 200’, 1.0 to 4.0 mi.
200’ to 910’, 4.0 to 12.4 mi.
910’ to 30’, 12.4 to 31.0 mi.
Level, 31.0 to 54.4 mi.
30’ to 400’, 54.4 to 59.0 mi.
400’ to 85’, 59.0 to 66.1 mi.
85’ to 16’, 66.1 to 100.1 mi.
• Temperature Range: 60º - 73º
• Speed:
town traffic 25-45 mph first 14.8 miles 4.3 mi./KWH
freeway 50 mph, 14.8 to 100.1 mi. on cruise control, 5.2 to 5.4 mi./KWH
• Miles on car: 14,436
• Elapse Time: 2:19 hr.
• Average Speed: 43.1 mph
• Car age: one year, S/N 2012
• Tires were at 37 psi

Note 1, I though I take the back way (through the delta on 160) to Sacramento but I was getting such terrible mileage in stop and go traffic that I switch to the freeway where I knew I could keep at a constant speed.

Note 2, it is very scary to be on I-80 at 50 mph. Won’t do it again. I will go 60 to 65 and plan a 2 hour charge somewhere.

We had a 100 electric mile rally here in Phoenix. Our top winner , Garry got 8.5 miles per KwH and actually drove to the EVent and home for a total of 151 miles. He has a 10 month old LEAF.

I went 102 miles and still showed 31 mile to go on the dash. I didn't want to drive just for nothing so after I got home I charged , at night like we always do to 80%. My 102 was the 2nd day I had the LEAF and drove to a EV EXPO we did in Glendale just outside of Phoenix. 70's temp ,level roads and city driving since I don't like highways.

The details:

• Elevation Range: 8010' - 5400'
• Elevation Delta: more than 3000 feet
• Approximate Elevation Sequence: +350'-2600'+2600'-250'+100'-200'
• Temperature: mid 70s
• Speed: mostly 35-65 mph but the last seventeen miles were at 25-30 mph.
• LBW at 90 miles
• VLBW at 103 miles, at which point I headed straight home (mostly downhill) and charged for an hour and a half to get the battery back to ~30%.
• Tires were at 40 psi

Notes:
• The trip included ~11 miles of dirt roads, part of which was being graded, which cost me several miles of range.
• The GoM read 134 miles at mile 14.5.

My first, (and likely last) 100+ mile trip yesterday.

104.2 miles, to VLBW, and 105.8 miles in total, by odometer.

I believe the total ascent and descent will come close to 5,500 ft, each. Will post the trip elevation profile, CW kWh consumption, and driving speed details later.

I just wanted to post the first (I believe?) 100 mile, and 1 mile up and down, trip report, before dgpcolorado beat me to it...

Congrats to all new members. I do not think I will ever attempt to drive 100 miles from 80% as I did a while ago. I simply think that is better to avoid deep discharge and stay within optimum SOC . However, there are situations that we simply have do do unexpected trips, in that case I will try again, because there is no charging infrastructure here. I think people should try to make long trips, try car's limit it is huge confidence booster(for me).

I humbly submit my application for membership in the 100+ mile Nissan LEAF Club. Today I drove the car a total of 102.1 miles with 6 miles left on the GOM. I averaged 6.4 M/kWh and made 5 trees for each of the 2 legs that were driven. No charging was done in route.

I went from my house in South San Jose to downtown San Jose and then down to Gilroy in the South County, then back up to downtown San Jose and then back home. I averaged between 35~55 mph in a 10mph wind out of the north. I was with the wind going down to Gilroy, and directly into the wind coming back. The terrain was flat at 200 FT MSL, and the Temperature was about 80 degrees.

leaf100mileclub.jpg

Hey, good show!

OrientExpress said:
I averaged between 35~55 mph in a 10mph wind out of the north.
At those speeds I assume you were driving Monterey, or possibly Santa Teresa, and not US 101. If I'm going that far I can't seem to resist the lure of the freeway.
OrientExpress said:
The terrain was flat at 200 FT MSL
Actually it isn't as flat as it appears. While San Jose and Gilroy are both at around 200 feet, Morgan Hill in between them is above 350 feet. It may not seem like much, but I always get better mileage going to Gilroy or going to San Jose than I do coming back home. It is a curious, if trivial, fact that Morgan Hill is on a major "pass". Half the state drains through San Francisco Bay, but the largest part of Morgan Hill drains into Monterey bay. (Meaning, of course, that technically I don't live in the SF Bay area.)

Ray

OrientExpress said:
I humbly submit my application for membership in the 100+ mile Nissan LEAF Club. Today I drove the car a total of 102.1 miles with 6 miles left on the GOM. I averaged 6.4 M/kWh and made 5 trees for each of the 2 legs that were driven. No charging was done in route.
Congrats, is this from 100% or 80%?

After a year with my Leaf I wanted to see what she was capable of. Last night before going to bed I did an override to my normal 80% timer so I could start with near 100%. After coffee this morning I reset my trip odometer, m/kw, and took a very leisurely ride in the country. Returned home with 101.4 miles on the odometer and one battery bar stil left. Never got VLBW but did have LBW when the GOM got to 11. M/KW says 7.0 on the dash for the whole trip. I guess I have lost a little capacity with the overall hot temps in North Texas but I do know that I can do a 100 mile trip.

I hope this qualifies me for this club.

In case anyone would be interested I recorded odometer mileage whenever I noticed a lost battery bar on this 101.4 mile trip.

12th bar lost at - 7.5 miles
11th bar lost at - 16.5
10th bar lost at - 19.5
9th bar lost at - 23.6

8th bar lost at - 32.0
7th bar lost at - 40.5
6th bar lost at - 50.7
5th bar lost at - 59.3
4th bar lost at - 65.8
3rd bar lost at - 80.0
2nd bar lost at - 93.5
LBW at 94.9 miles
1st bar-still there at 101.4 miles

I didn't get much out of my 9th and 10th bars, but I suppose that was due to a very rough, winding, country road followed by a busy road where I felt obligated to speed up.

58phil said:
LBW at 94.9 miles... M/KW says 7.0 on the dash for the whole trip. I guess I have lost a little capacity with the overall hot temps in North Texas but I do know that I can do a 100 mile trip.

I hope this qualifies me for this club.

Your are number 32. Congrats. I removed your references to the GoM in your quote. If you read the first post; no GoM, no CarWings. Believe me, there are reasons why.

Otherwise, awesome data set.

7 * 21 = 147 mile range !!!! You did 82.6% (LBW) at 94.9 miles, instead of 121.4 miles. Only 78% of expected performance is one heck of a reduction, which leads me to believe something isn't right.

That's only 16.8 kWh available, instead of 21. So, 7 * 16.8 = 117.6 mile total range, instead of 147.

What was the temperature?

EdmondLeaf said:
Congrats, is this from 100% or 80%?

I have never ever charged just to 80%. It just makes no sense at all. Since day one, this car has gotten a 100% charge every night, and after 15K miles it is just fine.

58phil said:
Outside temp was 71 degrees when I began but in my garage it was 80. By the end of the trip outside temperature was in the mid 80s.

You have a significant loss of performance if your data is correct.

Could you collect his data?

LEAF Range Data Run

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=184814#p184814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Checklist before the data collecting run:

1. (your answer) Any changes to car from stock (different tires, bike rack, Texas cattle horns, etc)
2. (your answer) Tire pressures set, heater and air conditioning off, car at 100% charge, cells allowed time to balance
3. (your answer) Gross vehicle weight? 3350 pounds plus operator, passengers, spare tire, bags, concrete, etc
4. (your answer) Route, length, elevation, hills if any, general conditions (dry, concrete/asphalt, etc)
5. (your answer) Assumed or measured battery temp (from LEAFscan tool)
6. (your answer) Ambient air temp
7. (your answer) Gid count at start, if available
8. (your answer) SOC, if available (from LEAFscan)
9. (your answer) Starting total voltage (should be 393.5v from GidMeter or LEAFscan tools)
10. (your answer) Accept CarWings on Nav screen startup by pressing OK

Data to record:

1. (your answer) Outbound steady speed (confirm with cruise control on)
2. (your answer) Outbound observed steady speed miles/kWh from Nav adjusted -0.1
3. (your answer) Inbound steady speed (confirm with cruise control on)
4. (your answer) Inbound observed steady speed miles/kWh from Nav adjusted -0.1
5. (your answer) Miles at Low Battery Warning
6. (your answer) Miles at Very Low Battery
7. (your answer) Overall miles covered to Turtle
8. (your answer) Overall miles/kWh from dash economy display
9. (your answer) Calculated battery useable energy (miles / miles/kWh = battery kWh)
10.(your answer) Ending pack voltage, SOC, and Gid (350v-ish from GidMeter or LEAFscan tools)
11. (your answer) Go to a computer (usually the next day) and report the CarWings kWh and miles used

Yesterday, 110.9 miles to VLB, 112.7 in total, by the odometer, with close to 6,000 ft of ascent and descent.

Same route as my 5/31 trip I posted on the previous page of this thread (with a few more miles of detours) more details at:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064&hilit=+range+test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was intended primarily as another battery capacity test, done at about 20 F higher charge temperature than I had on my 5/31 test run, where CW reported 17.5 kWh use, for that 105.8 mile trip. Will post more details including the CW kWh use for yesterdays (112.7 mile) trip, after it loads.

Car is getting its second charge (ever) I charged to 100% and drove to and from work twice, plus errands (hauled cement mix and lumber) and library. Got 4.4 m/Kwh. Added 115 miles still had 12 on the GOM! I am impressed with this car...

I must add these two work trip no car pool buddy, thus stuck in stop and go Seattle I405 traffic he!!. but after seeing 5.5m/kwhr I changed my tune. Listened to RSS feeds and my iPod. Loved the fact I was increasing range by NOT driving 65 in the car pool lane...LOL

OrientExpress said:
I have never ever charged just to 80%. It just makes no sense at all.

Why does it not make sense at all when Nissan has said that charging to 80% preserves long term battery life?

That makes sense.

It might not make sense for your particular usage style (maybe you lease and need the capacity daily). But to blanketly say that it makes no sense at all makes no sense at all.

Cheezmo said:
OrientExpress said:
I have never ever charged just to 80%. It just makes no sense at all.

Why does it not make sense at all when Nissan has said that charging to 80% preserves long term battery life?

That makes sense.

It might not make sense for your particular usage style (maybe you lease and need the capacity daily). But to blanketly say that it makes no sense at all makes no sense at all.

I get where he is coming from. When I buy something I want to use all of it. I don't fill my car to 3/4 of a tank everyday. I understand that the tech is different, but not every walk of life is the same either.

People: Keep the battery longevity talk to one of the many other relevant threads and keep this one related to maximum distance on a single charge.

Back