San Diego - Current List of Public Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working on getting some more EVSE's in Coronado.

The City signed a contract for an install right next to City Hall (right across the street from the Hotel del Coronado), but no time frame on installation yet.

I want to try to get some more installed at the other end of town and talked to a few folks at the Coronado Ferry Landing. There's LOTS of space in front of Il Fornaio (right on the bay looking back at San Diego) and in the large free lot next door where there is also a Farmers' Market every week. I forwarded on a lot of contact info to David Gatcha of Ecotality who will be following up. It'd be great for more electric owners to just touch base with the businesses in town and show the demand.

For instance, I had a very nice chat with the owner of Il Fornaio and he told me he's seen a few electrics parked in the first space to the right of the front door with their own EVSE's plugged in to the 110VAC plug (low on the wall, right next to the front door). He said he didn't mind them taking his power as he just assumed they were inside having a drink or eating. I'm thinking it would probably be best to ask first and have a meal to show your support. You can't beat the view!

I'm going to work my way down Orange Ave and see if any of the other businesses are interested. Parking is too much of a premium in Coronado to have many options.

The good news: Costa Verde center (UTC) now has 3 Blink units. 8650 Genesee Avenue, San Diego
The bad news: All 3 ICEd.

They put up signs marking the spaces as "EV charging only" but they installed the units in what most people seem to consider the most desirable parking, located each unit to reach only a single parking space, and there are no security guards nor on-site parking enforcement at Costa Verde. So you should consider this location to be out of service nearly all the time.

Here are photos of the 3 would-be EV's. The Mercedes parked in the handicapped spot does have a handicapped sticker. It's parked legally so I blurred out its license plate.

Thanks, Walter...I knew those were in the pipeline, nice to know they got them finished and operational...I added them to the list...

I was at Whole Foods in Hillcrest yesterday on 711 University Ave and there were 3 Blink units installed; 2 together and 1 handicap one next to other handicap spots. It's located on the second floor parking lot less likely considered prime parking. When I arrived all EVSE spots were free and the spots have EV charging only signs up. About an hour later, I came back to find that the spot next to me was ICE'ed even though the parking lot had lots of spots open and many were closer than the spot with the EVSE. EV hater? or EV driver who feels he can park there even when driving an ICE?

Whole%2520Foods%2520Hillcrest%2520EVSE.JPG
Whole%2520Foods%2520Hillcrest%2520ICEed.JPG

eHelmholtz said:
About an hour later, I came back to find that the spot next to me was ICE'ed even though the parking lot had lots of spots open and many were closer than the spot with the EVSE. EV hater? or EV driver who feels he can park there even when driving an ICE?
Judging by the quality of the parking job, simply oblivious.

Randy said:
Added the DC Fast in Cypress and San Bernadino (per Tony's request), and the new Blink L2 unit downtown at 401 B St in the Wells Fargo Building....

The Wells Fargo bldg security guard told me today that the unit is not live yet.

Furthermore, the unit is in their underground parking garage (entrance on Fourth Ave), and the garage is not open to the public on weekends. :(

rhover said:
Randy said:
Added the DC Fast in Cypress and San Bernadino (per Tony's request), and the new Blink L2 unit downtown at 401 B St in the Wells Fargo Building....

The Wells Fargo bldg security guard told me today that the unit is not live yet.

Furthermore, the unit is in their underground parking garage (entrance on Fourth Ave), and the garage is not open to the public on weekends. :(

I drove down about 5 levels at the Wells Fargo parking lot. There's is a Blink and another brand. Side note; this is an Irvine Ranch Company property.

Anyway, a bunch of folks were having a get together at the EVSE's when I arrived and told me I couldnt use the Blink. The orher was being used by a white LEAF.

One of them said "next week". So, I went to the Ace parking nearby and paid my $10 for 4 hours. I would have just-driven-the-Prius (TM), except I don't have one. Then I used my Car2Go EV Community account to go to my downtown location.

I'm going to guess that this won't be a popular location for people other than hose who normally park in that garage. I tend to believe that was the plan, too, or it wouldn't be at the botto

TonyWilliams said:
rhover said:
Randy said:
. . . and the new Blink L2 unit downtown at 401 B St in the Wells Fargo Building....

I'm going to guess that this won't be a popular location for people other than hose who normally park in that garage. I tend to believe that was the plan, too, or it wouldn't be at the bottom.
That is the building that SANDAG committees meet in and I've been giving them crap for the last few months that they're not walking the walk and taking advantage of the free EVSE's.

And you can add Coronado right beside City Hall and across (and down a bit) from the Hotel del Coronado to the list (they're not hot yet, but I imagine will be soon)

IMG20120414191303-L.jpg

I went to Mission Valley Center today to check out the new charging stations, and I felt like I was late to the party :)

These are located outside the east entrance to Macys...

Attachments

• missionvalley.jpg
    missionvalley.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 130
Randy said:
I went to Mission Valley Center today to check out the new charging stations, and I felt like I was late to the party :)

Me too! I was at the Blink chargers by the automotive museum this afternoon and every spot was taken by a cars2go car and there were tons of other cars2go cars parked in that lot waiting to be charged.

eHelmholtz said:
I was at Whole Foods in Hillcrest yesterday on 711 University Ave and there were 3 Blink units installed; 2 together and 1 handicap one next to other handicap spots. It's located on the second floor parking lot less likely considered prime parking.
Stopped here yesterday after the Zoo to get some coffee. Didn't really need the charge, but wanted to check them out and got some coffee and a pastry. Good location for charging stations, lots to do in the area, though I imagine that parking and leaving is frowned upon. Bit of a pain to get coffee since you have to order, go and pay at the checkout line, then to back to get your order.

eHelmholtz said:
Randy said:
Me too! I was at the Blink chargers by the automotive museum this afternoon and every spot was taken by a cars2go car and there were tons of other cars2go cars parked in that lot waiting to be charged.
Just another reason to make sure you have a car2go membership so you can move cars if needed. Think of them as large movable traffic cones. :)

Stopped by the Salk Institute site today to check it out...The 4 units are in the southeast corner of the property tucked out of the way. They have orange cones by the spots and also the standard "No parking / EV" signs... All units operational....

Attachments

• salkinstitute.jpg
    salkinstitute.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 103
BrianSanDiego said:
Here are the Blink chargers at Miramar College. They have 6 chargers installed.

Need a Staff/Faculty permit until 6 p.m. After that time students can park there also but with a student permit. When these pictures were taken at about 5:30 none were in use. Later at about 6:15 still none were being used but four of the six parking spots were ICE'd.

Regarding the Blink chargers at Miramar College and those at other San Diego Community College District colleges (Mesa and City), I can confirm that parking for the public (non-staff/faculty or student) is allowed and free. At Miramar, there's a 4 hour limit. None of the units were ICE'ed today and the ecotality guys came by to upgrade the hardware to require zip code verification.

eHelmholtz said:
I was at Whole Foods in Hillcrest yesterday on 711 University Ave and there were 3 Blink units installed; 2 together and 1 handicap one next to other handicap spots. It's located on the second floor parking lot less likely considered prime parking. When I arrived all EVSE spots were free and the spots have EV charging only signs up. About an hour later, I came back to find that the spot next to me was ICE'ed even though the parking lot had lots of spots open and many were closer than the spot with the EVSE. EV hater? or EV driver who feels he can park there even when driving an ICE?

Whole%2520Foods%2520Hillcrest%2520EVSE.JPG
Whole%2520Foods%2520Hillcrest%2520ICEed.JPG

I went to the Whole foods in Hillcrest last friday and they had orange posts blocking both non ADA spots. I was able to park to an adjacent spot to charge. I talked to the manager and he wasn't sure but thought those orange barriers were to prevent ICEs from parking there, implying we can move them to park our Leafs there. I thought this is a pretty good idea. When done shopping, I found a Volt parked in one of the slots. Its owner said he just moved the posts out of the way. Hopefully, he moved them back when he was finished to block ICEs.

saintyohann said:
Why do you need a SemaCharge card? The only stations in SD are the Walgreens and they don't need a card, you just plug in.
I've been to the Walgreens in Poway and it worked with no card. But 4/23/12 I tried the Walgreens on Midway and it appeared to want a card. I don't know for sure that it would have worked if I had a SemaCharge card, but it surely didn't work without one - already a month after it was installed. I don't know whether some units are breaking already, were never quite turned on, or if Walgreens is in the middle of a transition from card-free to card-required operation.
Randy said:
Added 2 new Old Town Urban Corps units...
These units are behind a tall fence clearly marked "Authorized Vehicles Only." Which raises the questions, are these public or private units? Why doesn't Blink distinguish between public and private units? And is there any place other than user reviews in plugshare that does distinguish?
eHelmholtz said:
Regarding the Blink chargers at Miramar College and those at other San Diego Community College District colleges (Mesa and City), I can confirm that parking for the public (non-staff/faculty or student) is allowed and free. At Miramar, there's a 4 hour limit.
This says there is no fee to charge, but says nothing one way or the other about parking fees: http://police.sdccd.edu/parking/evstation.cfm. And this says you must buy a visitors permit to park: http://police.sdccd.edu/parking/permits.cfm It would be nice if they didn't charge a parking fee for EV charging, but it would be much nicer if they clearly communicated this to the public and to campus police before they ticket or tow cars.

Walter, was the unit on Midway powered up? My understanding is that there are still some outstanding permit issues and it hadn't been commissioned yet (although maybe that's changed). When I was there awhile back, it wasn't powered on...

Randy said:
Walter, was the unit on Midway powered up? My understanding is that there are still some outstanding permit issues and it hadn't been commissioned yet (although maybe that's changed). When I was there awhile back, it wasn't powered on...
I thought it had power - that some blue lights came on. I'm not certain now. I guess it's possible that it has power but is put into some inoperative state waiting for the city paperwork.

Speaking of which, I saw this compendium of relevant standards for EV's from ANSI, which includes problem areas like slow government permitting. http://evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=27812 I wish that ANSI, which I regard as a more neutral standards organization than SAE, would weigh in on DC fast charging standards - forcing the hypothetical SAE charger manufacturers to maintain backward compatibility, and if necessary forcing Chademo to more openness to enable forward compatibility.

walterbays said:
eHelmholtz said:
Regarding the Blink chargers at Miramar College and those at other San Diego Community College District colleges (Mesa and City), I can confirm that parking for the public (non-staff/faculty or student) is allowed and free. At Miramar, there's a 4 hour limit.
This says there is no fee to charge, but says nothing one way or the other about parking fees: http://police.sdccd.edu/parking/evstation.cfm. And this says you must buy a visitors permit to park: http://police.sdccd.edu/parking/permits.cfm It would be nice if they didn't charge a parking fee for EV charging, but it would be much nicer if they clearly communicated this to the public and to campus police before they ticket or tow cars.
Walter, I checked with parking and the police department and they confirm that both parking and charging are free (for 4 hours) to the public at both Miramar and Mesa; I'm told this is a San Diego Community College District decision so though I haven't checked at City College, I suspect that it will be the same.

Back