100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
Only if below 7mph, I think. I never tested that!! I don't use the shift to R technique to get instant N, but instead just hold it to the left for the two or three seconds required.

Yes, that's correct. It's just quicker to use 'R' and you limit the regen when you need 'N'. It's instantaneous.

Rain actually has far more affect on range than temperature (within reason)... The last very heavy rain storm we had here, the temperature was about the same as it had been on the preceding dry days and I was not using CC, and still my range fell by about 35 percent. Enough that I had to find a 120 outlet at work to charge from or I would not have been able to make it home.

TNleaf said:
Yesterday it rained here and was 40 (compared to 86 the day before). I barely achieved 4.9 on the RT and I barely used the CC for defrost (<5minutes). Glad the weather will be keeping warmer!

LEAFfan said:
N1ghtrider said:
I will say, there is a knack to working the throttle pedal so that you maximize momentum and regenerative braking. I learned that with 6 years of driving a hyrid (Honda Civic) maximizing my mpg.

Actually, you will be able to increase your miles and m/kW h if you use "N" as much as possible instead of regen.

Have you actually tested and quantified this m/kWh increase, against simply leaving your LEAF in D or ECO?

I average close to 100 ft ascent/descent per mile driven, and generally just leave my LEAF in ECO, applying the pedal pressure to achieve as close to "neutral" power/regen, as is compatible with my desired speed.

Even when both battery capacity is over 90%, and when significantly altering your speed, to match potential energy available from the descent or the slowdown/stop, I seem to get extremely close to the same m/kWh results of shifting into and out of N, by just keeping my LEAF in ECO, and getting close to the same neutral energy application, when desired, using the accelerator/decelerator pedal.

So, the slight inconvenience and safety reduction of shifting in and out of N, vs the sleight benefit in m/kWh of doing so, has just not made using N while driving useful, In my experience.

Add me as a member: 110.3 miles over 1 charge. (low battery at 95, vlb at 109.7).

Took us almost a week to get there, but.... No highway driving but lots and lots of stupid red lights around Raleigh, NC.

Average energy economy on dash 5.5 mi/kw for this charge only. Average temperatures around 60 over the week (I'd guess) -- five bars of temperature on battery. (Anything else I need to report?)

Yeah, tell us how you get such a high energy economy number with "lots and lots of stupid red lights." By "stupid" I assume you mean the lights aren't synchronized. I can never even get it up to 4.0 when driving around town. Are you using Neutral to coast up to a red light? Feathering the accelerator in ECO or Drive? Heavy traffic or light?

Congratulations, by the way. I have never even come close.

Ray

Panet4ever:

You did not ask me, but I have 5.2m/kWH lifetime on my LEAF with almost all city driving stopping for lights every few blocks (or at best every mile or so). I have achieved 100+ miles per charge 12 times in the first 2,770 miles by avoiding jackrabbit starts, letting off on the accelerator as soon as I see a need to slow down ahead, and avoiding climate control on temperate days.

I suggest that you educate your acceleration foot by watching the energy consumption gauge on the dask or Carwings when you drive and trying to keep the meter above 6.

TonyWilliams said:
The answer to your question is since regen is some number less than 100% efficient, you only want to use it when required (like an unplanned stop, or for those of us in hilly areas, when stopping on a downhill slope).

Otherwise, plan to let off the gas pedal as soon as possible and use N to roll to a stop.

Tony:

I tried your system today of shifting to N (by going into R with my teeth gritted) and coasting as soon as I saw a need to stop ahead. I have to say that it seems counter-intuitive to say that the last part of the coast (after applying the brakes) is better in N than in D or ECO. After awhile I starting going back into gear after applying the brakes to get some regen, which I did not seem to get in N. I am not a mathematician or an engineer, but is it really better to go all the way to a stop in N, or to shift back into gear by the time that you need to brake? What is the advantage to coasting the last part of the stop (after braking) in N rather than in gear?

Upon seeing a red light far in front of me, I coast (in N) as long as possible, then switch to D if more slowing is needed, then switch to ECO if even more is needed, then brake as the last resort. Much of the time I can "guess" to eliminate braking or even using ECO. However, I haven't quantified the results since I constantly use CC and don't ever need to drive more than about 20 miles in any one day, usually less than 10 mi. I've seen 6 mpkw for moderate periods of time so I know it's possible. Now that the weather has warmed up, maybe I'll give it a try.

One thing I did notice, there's no regen in N so if you have to suddenly brake while in N, you lose all that kinetic energy. :cry:

Reddy.

N1ghtrider said:
but is it really better to go all the way to a stop in N, or to shift back into gear by the time that you need to brake? What is the advantage to coasting the last part of the stop (after braking) in N rather than in gear?

It's best to plan so perfectly that the car rolls to a stop without needing the brakes.

But, if you need the brakes, of course, don't do it in N !!!!

My 13th time to achieve more than 100 miles per charge at 107.3 miles 6.0 m/kWH carwings. Low bat at 96 miles; no VLB. That makes 1,437 miles out of the first 2,894 at more than 100 miles per charge (49.7% of driving, so I failed at acheiving 100+ miles per charge "most"of the time).

2012-04-11202120591.jpg

No, I never use anything but eco. This little project involved staying firmly away from the highway so max speed was probably around 45 for the 110 miles. It's a lot less fun to drive, though, when you limit yourself to only two little bubbles lit. Blah.

Having finished this challenge, I am now resuming my regularly scheduled programming which includes about 50% highway (where I get less significantly than 4 mi/kWh) and leaving people in the dust at the stoplights. ;)

planet4ever said:
Yeah, tell us how you get such a high energy economy number with "lots and lots of stupid red lights." By "stupid" I assume you mean the lights aren't synchronized. I can never even get it up to 4.0 when driving around town. Are you using Neutral to coast up to a red light? Feathering the accelerator in ECO or Drive? Heavy traffic or light?

Congratulations, by the way. I have never even come close.

Ray

N1ghtrider said:
That makes 1,437 miles out of the first 2,894 at more than 100 miles per charge (49.7% of driving, so I failed at achieving 100+ miles per charge "most"of the time).

Still mighty impressive

ok I got my first one yesterday friday the 13th!! 112.3 miles I have lots just under 100 but was not ready to push my luck yet. but yesterday my towing company was slow and we wanted to test the road side charger in real life conditions so i told them to be ready for the emergency call!! I just started out driving around to see some customers and keep going(It was had to pass my charging stations and not pull in to charge) it finally quit on a country back road so I pulled just off the road and guess what NO CELL PHONE SERVICE!!!! hmm friday the 13th??? so had to walk about a mile for signal sevice 30 min off roadside level 2 got me 2 bars and 9 miles on guess o meter so I headed for the house.now are you ready for this I got in the old girl this morn and my g.o.m. said 112 miles! put it in eco and it said 134 im going to try it agian today and see what happens.

bryan38401 said:
ok I got my first one yesterday friday the 13th!! 112.3 miles I have lots just under 100 but was not ready to push my luck yet. but yesterday my towing company was slow and we wanted to test the road side charger in real life conditions so i told them to be ready for the emergency call!! I just started out driving around to see some customers and keep going(It was had to pass my charging stations and not pull in to charge) it finally quit on a country back road so I pulled just off the road and guess what NO CELL PHONE SERVICE!!!! hmm friday the 13th??? so had to walk about a mile for signal sevice 30 min off roadside level 2 got me 2 bars and 9 miles on guess o meter so I headed for the house.now are you ready for this I got in the old girl this morn and my g.o.m. said 112 miles! put it in eco and it said 134 im going to try it agian today and see what happens.
Interesting. A couple of questions, please.

My towing company - your owned company or one that you rely on?

Can you provide more information on the roadside charger (EVSE)? L2 going from turtle to 2 bars in 30 minutes seems really fast.

Thanks. Bill

I know it doesn't count but the past two days were the closest I've gotten to the 100 mile club in my first month of ownership: 115 miles with just an hour of trickle charge in the middle. The trickle charge came at 88 miles, so I believe that's my official record so far. Unfortunately it was probably needed, as we hit Very Low Battery (first time since getting the car) a couple miles before arriving home. I'm guessing that without the charge, we may have hit turtle just a bit too far from home. :eek:

I had passengers riding in the LEAF for their first time during the final trip, and was a little worried that they would get a bad impression due to range anxiety. But when we finished, they were disappointed we didn't see the turtle! :lol:

Will have to try for a true 100 mile club entry sometime in the future...

I own H&H Services hvac and electric also Charge-A-Lot ev charging. D&D towing is owned by 2 brothers, very good friends and people I trust with my family and employees lives!! they have the roadside charger I made using a schneider electric level 2 it is run off 7000 watt generator.you can find info at carstions.com/13779,my website is a little behind on updates so they and the other charging stations are not listed yet. the second bar went away as soon as I started driving I really dont pay attention to all the soc/gom stuff I prefer real world stuff I know if I get down to 5miles on est. I need to find a station.but I charge so much during the day I just dont need to keep an eye on it. I put 150-250 miles a day so (IM NOT NORMALLY) as ive been told a lot! cant wait to install the first level 3 from SQ D. and yes SQ D knows we are using the eq on a charger. the exact email I got from engineer was (we do not anticapate any problems running eq off of a generator as long as you are aware it must be sized to handle the continous load are eq is capable of handling.)

I've got to be honest; I couldn't follow a large percentage of what you're trying to express. Apparently, you want to know if a certain DC charger will run off a generator? If so, give us the brand name and model of the unit you're considering, and somebody here can give you an idea what you need for power.

Here's a picture of a generator that we used last weekend and that I recommend for a 48kW maximum load into LEAF, where 90% efficiency pulls about 55kW. This MQ 70KVA unit is rated for 56kW continous:

81c44beb.jpg

Mission accomplished!!!! With some discipline, feathering gas, coasting, 57mph on highway and city drive got 109miles and as pulled into driveway the 3 --- light up. I am sure i still had a few miles left.

5.3m/kw average.

Ian B

107.3 miles today. It went to VLB about 2 miles before my house so there were still some miles left... I had 17 Gids when I pulled in to the garage and took this picture. The energy economy was reset when I hit LB but it is significantly uphill to my house for the last 5 miles so it is lower than the overall for this trip (sorry, I forgot to check the display screen for the entire trip average)... I did not use CC at any point and adjusted my speed at various benchmarks on the trip to make sure I was on track for the distance I needed to go on my route. I used cruise control as much as possible and ECO throughout, except for Neutral when I was coasting down some hills.

The only reason I tried this today was I had a distant trip I had to make and my wife had the ICE for an even more distant trip... It was an interesting experiment but likely not something I would care to do on a regular basis... I probably would not have tried it without a SOC Meter...

wrgk8o.jpg

TomT said:
The only reason I tried this today was I had a distant trip I had to make and my wife had the ICE for an even more distant trip...
Nicely done and now you know you can do it. :)

Back