etracing
Delivery Date: 07 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 7219

Hello Dolly! (Towing your LEAF)

Has anyone towed their LEAF behind a RV with a Tow dolly?

If so, any suggestions other than what is in the manual?

Thanks!
EV Ed
Electric Motorcycle Builder/Racer
Electric Car Drag racer
Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
http://juiceddragracing.com
coqui
Delivery Date: 11 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 15024

Re: Hello Dolly! (Towing your LEAF)

No, sorry, a 70 gallon capacity RV at over $4 a gallon diesel price is not with my range of affordability. I have heard that towing a Leaf (if there's something wrong with the Leaf for example) should only be done with a flatbed, if that's any help to you. :oops:
etracing wrote:Has anyone towed their LEAF behind a RV with a Tow dolly?

If so, any suggestions other than what is in the manual?

Thanks!
2012 SL+QC Brilliant Silver
Nickname "coqui" (small frog indigenous to Puerto Rico)
EVSE L1 Nissan, L2 Duke Energy Pilot Program
SteveS
Delivery Date: 29 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5714

I didn't tow with an RV, but I did tow mine from Dallas to New Orleans with a U-Haul tow dolly. No problems at all. Just drove the LEAF on the dolly, strapped the tires and started driving. I pulled it with a Lexus RX400h SUV.

Hope this helps.
etracing
Delivery Date: 07 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 7219

SteveS wrote:I didn't tow with an RV, but I did tow mine from Dallas to New Orleans with a U-Haul tow dolly. No problems at all. Just drove the LEAF on the dolly, strapped the tires and started driving. I pulled it with a Lexus RX400h SUV.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks. I checked the rear wheels and the manual so I do not expect any issues either.

I will report back after this weekend. :)
EV Ed
Electric Motorcycle Builder/Racer
Electric Car Drag racer
Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
http://juiceddragracing.com
TonyWilliams
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002244

If you pull it without a dolly, you must disconnect the drive shafts (half shafts) from each front wheel to the gear box. There is no other way to practically disconnect the AC propulsion motor from the wheels. The gear box is always "in gear", with no way to achieve a Neutral. When you select Neutral on the gear shift, that merely deenergizes the AC propulsion motor, but does not disconnect any gears. The rotating mass in the motor will still turn with the wheels.

But, a front dolly as posted above will be easiest. Nissan says lots of stuff, like DC charge only once per day, and other wacky stuff like don't tow it. Of course you can, provided you don't allow the front wheels to turn the motor.

Easy.
Thanks,

Tony Williams
QC CHARGE
1497 POINSETTIA AVE
Suite 154
VISTA, CA 92081-8542 USA
Office M-F, 9-5pm Pacific Time
1-760-798-0342
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
kubel
Leaf Number: 19628

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sujv90PLLY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
20% degradation in 42k miles
Leased 5-17-2012, Returned 1-15-2016

2017 Chevy Volt LT
Siren Red Tintcoat
Leased 10-21-2016
MaryC
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1284

When towing on a dolly did you leave the car on or will it tow allright in the off position? I would really like to set up the Leaf for towing behind my motorhome.
Blue SL, Res 4/20, RAQ 10/22, ordered 10/25, Delivered May 6th, VIN 1284, PD NorthbayTraded in
New Leaf 2014 White SV
aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

MaryC wrote:When towing on a dolly did you leave the car on or will it tow allright in the off position? I would really like to set up the Leaf for towing behind my motorhome.
Mechanically speaking, the rear wheels are just donuts rotating on bearings; they rotate independently of each other, even. (Obviously, the parking brake should be off/disengaged!) Whether the "ignition" is on or off makes no difference.
Anna Nguyen
LakeLeaf
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2018

If you are towing your Leaf behind your motor home - most motor homes have a generator in them. I don't think you are supposed the run the generator while driving the motor home --- but it you can - maybe you could plug in your Leaf and charge it via generator while you are driving the RV to your next destination.

The purist won't like the idea of either the motor home, or the generator, but if you have all of the above - it sure would be nice to end up at your destination with a full charge.

[ b.t.w. - nice job on the thread title! ]
TonyWilliams
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002244

MaryC wrote:When towing on a dolly did you leave the car on or will it tow allright in the off position? I would really like to set up the Leaf for towing behind my motorhome.
I'm not sure I understand the basis for the question. Are you worried about running the lights on the LEAF?

For that, you can mount lights that have magnets to stay mounted on the car, and plugged into your motor home. Or, you add a plug on your car that plugs into the motor home so that the motor home controls the LEAF taillights, brake, and turn signal lights.

All standard stuff. Yes, you could charge it while underway on 120v with an inverter that can handle 1.44kW continuous load. No generator.

The motor home will have to have the correct size alternator (big) and heavy wires to handle the load.

All easy and relatively cheap.
Thanks,

Tony Williams
QC CHARGE
1497 POINSETTIA AVE
Suite 154
VISTA, CA 92081-8542 USA
Office M-F, 9-5pm Pacific Time
1-760-798-0342
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”