Blink 2.0

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kovalb said:
I've had 2.0 for a while. I noticed the main display after charging was not showing correct information. For example it showed zero off peak charging. This last weekend the display changed. It no longer shows off peak charging used, instead it shows total kWh used as the top item, and it appears to be correct. The software version is now 2.02.something, I can't recall the entire number.

Things are getting better :D

Yeah the original version of 2.0 had a lot of issues with the statistics being off. The latest version has worked just fine the whole month of February.

I had one problem this month with the ability to connect to the Blink via a web browser giving errors. The unit rebooted itself shortly after the errors occurred and all is fine again.

My Blink updated itself today to Firmware Version 2.0.20120112 E1.10. Same user interface as before, except now I can have it display stuff in S.I. units rather than medieval units....that is nice, but it is still not showing the current energy consumed.

Yes, at a constant charge rate of 3.3 kW or 3.7 kW we could simply do the math ourselves with the over-sized timer that the unit still displays while charging, but why they chose NOT to display energy used in kWH is a mystery to me...It seems to be such an obvious feature...

My Blink is still on the older firmware L2R.1.8A, I have also seen multiple "user.err updatesession: [EVSE] 11 Not authorized messages" in the log. Anybody has the latest 2.0 firmware file that I can use to update my Blink?

Mar 7 05:59:25 L2R18A user.err updatesession: [EVSE] 11 Not authorized.

the blink has worked flawlessly throughout Feb. and to date in March.

to keep up with the below comments > mine is ethernet driven from the start.

Nothing will change, it seems like 2.0 has the same goofy interface as before.
The biggest thing for me was moving it from wireless (which almost always failed) to ethernet over powerline. Since then 1.8 and 2.0 have been running flawless all the time. My record continuous up-time was 36 days!
Note that the update erases ALL stats on the unit...

Mine also has been completely reliable with wired ethernet instead of wifi. Took 8 hours of crawling in the attic and under the house to get a line there.

wesly said:
My Blink is still on the older firmware L2R.1.8A, I have also seen multiple "user.err updatesession: [EVSE] 11 Not authorized messages" in the log. Anybody has the latest 2.0 firmware file that I can use to update my Blink?

Mar 7 05:59:25 L2R18A user.err updatesession: [EVSE] 11 Not authorized.

They had to come out and put a new SD card in mine when it would not update.

I have not had a single issue with Blink. My unit upgraded to 2.0 a few nights ago. I have been wireless the whole time and my router is on my third story.

I received an email from Blink today informing me that my unit needs a new SD card before it can be upgraded to 2.0, and that they'll be sending someone out to change out the card:

"In preparation for the software rollout, we've checked your home charger and detected that your Blink unit will require an updated memory card in order to receive the new software. In the next few weeks, a Blink certified representative will be contacting you via phone or email to schedule a visit to perform this hardware upgrade, which will automatically install the new software on your unit."

I'm one of the happy few whose Blink experience has been virtually trouble free. I can wait.

oakwcj said:
I received an email from Blink today informing me that my unit needs a new SD card before it can be upgraded to 2.0, and that they'll be sending someone out to change out the card

Yep, I received the same email (mine is a very early SN 1003xx unit). What is particularly interesting is that I am already on the version 2 firmware and my Blink has always worked flawlessly...

"You're Almost Ready For the New Blink Software...

By now, you may know that Blink is releasing a new software version to all chargers, which will bring increased reliability and connectivity to your unit. In preparation for the software rollout, we've checked your home charger and detected that your Blink unit will require an updated memory card in order to receive the new software. In the next few weeks, a Blink certified representative will be contacting you via phone or email to schedule a visit to perform this hardware upgrade, which will automatically install the new software on your unit.

The scheduled visit should take less than an hour, during which time a Blink representative will perform the hardware upgrade and verify that your unit is running the new software. If you have any questions about this process, please feel free to contact the Blink Support Center by calling 888.998.2546, or emailing [email protected].

Thanks,
The Blink Team"

I have an early unit and it updated remotely to 2.0 just fine so I have no idea what the criteria is for needing a new card or not. Perhaps something in the logs determines it? Different cards used on some units?

DarkStar said:
Darn it... I have a SN 4xx unit so I'll probably be receiving this email too... I better find the bolts to put my Blink cover back on... :D

My S/N is 200xxx. I doubt the serial number is the relevant factor. It's more likely to have something to do with the SD card.

You guys are luckier than you think. Though you have Blnk problems, I don't even have a charger yet. Back-and-forth between the Blnk Deathstar and the installing contractor who came to my house with a van full of chargers, inspected my electric setup, and declared it a piece of cake. And yet he couldn't install the equipment. Although he was happy to show it to me. There we were, me, him, and the charger, all within two feet of my breaker box. The hole was already cut in the drywall to run the wires (I installed a generator panel a few years ago, and left room for additional conduit and wires, just in case). I could have installed it myself. He could have done it in twenty minutes. But nooooooo..... He had to send in a survey form for approval, the same form I already filled out twice. Days and days later, and Darth Blnkster claims to have not received the survey. I said, "The electrician said it was all good. Why not just call them and schedule the install?" "Nope," says he, "we have to wait for the survey, then schedule the install, and then we will get back to you if and when we know the date." So I asked in a folow-up email, "What about that Blnk ID card I applied for two weeks ago that lets me use the public stations?" No answer yet.

The guys HAVE been very nice and patient with me over our several email exchanges. SO I suspect that the decision-makers aren't the ones communicating with me. Bottom line though, is that this extended, difficult process is a HUGE stumbling block for this nascent industry. Unless this gets MUCH smoother, electric cars are freaking DOOMED. Nonetheless, I would still keep my Leaf if all I had was the 110VAC cord.

I know - cutting edge industry. But still..... What's with the survey forms? What's with the electrician standing right there, tools in hand, equipment un-boxed and laying at our feet, and then packing it all up and driving away. Oh, and for good measure he tells me he is going on vacation for two weeks, so it might be a while before he can come back.

Grawr. :evil:

That said - I love this Leaf Car. How freaking fun is THIS?!? I totally love that pedestrians are all walking out in front of it all the time while I crawl at baby-step speeds through parking lots, knowing that grandma is going to lose her cool when she (finally) pivots her aged skull on those creakey shoulders to look for traffic AFTER stepping into the roadway only to see a shiny black moonbuggy with huge blue LED eyes fourteen inches from her cool new titanium hips. :shock:

</rant>

They emailed oakwjc and others of the need for an upgrade? Consider yourselves lucky. I got an email saying I needed to reboot the Blink to get the download. I did, called them and they said the download would begin shortly. That was yesterday. Rebooting Blink never solved any of the problems I have had, so I called today and asked them to check to see if the download was successful. Good thing I am a skeptic. They checked and said no, the connectivity had been lost again, (as it always does). They finally said they would come out in three weeks and replace whatever needed to be replaced.

Whatever, I still love my Leaf.

Got the charger installed Friday. The electrician was a pro, even though he cut through the internet cable inside the wall when he was making the hole for the 220 plug. He fixed it nicely and quickly. Shout out for "McKinstry". Both electricians who have been to my house have been competent and cool.

The Blnk station seems to work fine. The installing electrician said that someone was going to have to come out and "commission" the charger, by which I believe he means to run through the menu and get the thing on the Interwebs and programmed. I was able to set it up myself while he swept the floor, and it works fine. I am in business. Man, what an improvement over the extension cord 110 charger. ;)

Looks like my Blink tried to upgrade to 2.0 last night. But failed. Now it says it's running version "L2_CONVERSION, 040A, 1.2, 1.10"

Everything seemed to go well looking at the logs until this message showed up:
Code:
Apr 12 03:26:11 L2_CONVERSION user.crit root: [MANFID_ERROR] Version 2.0 Update Failed: Invalid MMC card ID detected.
I'm guessing I have one of the "bad" flash cards in my Blink that others have mentioned and a visit from a Blink tech will be required.

Still appears to work fine, so I'm not going to worry about it for now...

Back