100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
range is the reason why i think battery improvements will see the standard range go from 100 to 150 miles because that will cover more than 2/3rds of the people not covered by the 100 mile range (if the 100 mile range was a real 100 miles we would not have the issue)

i have lived in places where it was common to need 100 miles most days (Seattle being 60 miles away means i am potentially in that situation now)

now, there will always be a luxury option, be it Tesla or Nissan's 300 mile pack upgrade but then we get to how to replenish the pack.

QC is not applicable to a pack that large. it would take 2+ hours to recharge. not viable in most circumstances. sure it will fit some of the time, but someone paying that much money might not go for that so quicker methods will be employed which means battery swapping (Checked Zenn and eestor this morning...still waiting)

Banged out 102.8, with 6.0 miles/kWh overall. Arrived with 358.0 pack voltage, 16.3% Gid, therefore, I could have driven about another 20 miles !!!!

Ambient temp: low 50F's
Assumed batt: low 60F's

Usable battery capacity: 20kWh

Total miles for the day, about 220. Of course, no climate control at all.

The first 30 miles were driven on the backroads, and the next 70 miles were at exactly 45mph down the freeway:

Then, I got me some of this:

TonyWilliams said:
Arrived with 358.0 pack voltage, 16.3% Gid, therefore, I could have driven about another 20 miles !!!!
Ambient temp: low 50F's
Assumed batt: low 60F's
Usable battery capacity: 20kWh
The first 30 miles were driven on the backroads, and the next 70 miles were at exactly 45mph down the freeway:

Since you were BELOW LBW (17.4%), I seriously doubt you could have gone another 20 miles, especially at 45mph or higher. At 17.4%, there is around 20 miles left before Turtle @ 38-40mph. You should know that from your own chart! :roll:

LEAFfan said:
Since you were BELOW LBW (17.4%), I seriously doubt you could have gone another 20 miles

I didn't actually look at the chart; it was a guess. I did say "about" 20 miles.

I haven't had a chart in my car in ages; every time I bump into a LEAF owner, I give them away.

N1ghtrider said:
Way to go, Tony. With "normal driving" accomplishments like yours, those of us in the "clubs" should be able to start convincing others that 100+ miles is not just possible as a gimmick under unreal circumstances.

"...70 miles...at exactly 45mph down the freeway..." is "normal driving"?

On what planet?

That's about 30 MPH below "normal" speed, on the freeways I drive on.

Maybe I'm too self-conscious, but I worry about giving others the wrong impression about BEV capabilities, when I have to stretch a charge, by driving 50 on 55 MPH two lane highways, where the "normal" speed is in the low 60's.

N1ghtrider said:
Way to go, Tony. With "normal driving" accomplishments like yours, those of us in the "clubs" should be able to start convincing others that 100+ miles is not just possible as a gimmick under unreal circumstances.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Did you note I drove 70 miles on a multi lane freeway at 45mph without a heater in 50F/10C degree weather?

100 miles is atypical, as evidenced by how few actually do it. Extraordinary driving techniques must be employed, and sacrifices made.

On the way back, I jumped up to 55mph, and that simple 10 mile per hour change made me not make the return without a fuel stop. I only did 100 miles unrefueled one way.

edatoakrun said:
N1ghtrider said:

On what planet?

Maybe I'm too self-conscious, but I worry about giving others the wrong impression about BEV capabilities, when I have to stretch a charge, by driving 50 on 55 MPH two lane highways, where the "normal" speed is in the low 60's.
+1

I hit 100 miles here in Chicago today. I didn't set out to do it, especially considering I had to drive 50 miles of that at normal highway speeds (55-60mph). I would have made better notes on when LBW and VLBW came across, but as I said, I wasn't anticipating hitting 100 miles today. Ambient temps were very warm for Chicago at this time of year 55-65F during the day, but also extremely windy, which probably cut my range down a bit. Anyway, please add me to the club. Thanks!

6963546677_f5652fac4c.jpg

edatoakrun said:

On what planet?

45 mph is faster than normal on I-95 in urban Miami-Dade County during commuting "rush hour" times, so I guess that I assume most places have similar traffic patterns except out in rural areas.

N1ghtrider said:
edatoakrun said:

On what planet?

45 mph is faster than normal on I-95 in urban Miami-Dade County during commuting "rush hour" times, so I guess that I assume most places have similar traffic patterns except out in rural areas.

I try to avoid the "peak demand" for roads, as well as for the grid, when charging my LEAF.

My utility (PG&E) gives me an off-peak rate.

Soon, I expect, road taxes/payments, will often be similarly adjusted, to more accurately account for cost-per mile of the service.

In the meantime, my only "bonus" for avoiding traffic congestion....is avoiding traffic congestion.

Bzzzzz said:
I hit 100 miles here in Chicago today. I didn't set out to do it, especially considering I had to drive 50 miles of that at normal highway speeds (55-60mph). I would have made better notes on when LBW and VLBW came across, but as I said, I wasn't anticipating hitting 100 miles today. Ambient temps were very warm for Chicago at this time of year 55-65F during the day, but also extremely windy, which probably cut my range down a bit. Anyway, please add me to the club. Thanks!
Nicely done considering the highway miles and weather conditions! Did you use any HVAC and how was the other 50 miles driven?

drees said:
Bzzzzz said:
Nicely done considering the highway miles and weather conditions! Did you use any HVAC and how was the other 50 miles driven?

No HVAC at all as the temps were great for this time of year. Felt like summer for those of us in Chicago.

About 20 miles was done on the highway in bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic averaging 10-15mph. My Leaf actually tends to do quite well in this kind of traffic. The rest was on surface streets, 30 MPH limit with lots of lights.

N1ghtrider said:

You must not have HOV lanes in FL. If traffic in the regular lanes is moving slower than 45mph (as you noted), then he would have moved to the HOV lanes. You didn't know CA has HOV lanes? So going 45mph on a freeway in CA is not normal since it's obvious it wasn't 'rush hour'. I hope you don't use this type of logic in your law practice.

around here rush hour speeds vary. around any freeway exchange the speeds are usually around 20-30 mph (FREQUENTLY much slower) problem is in the Pacific NW, its I-5 then a major exchange every 5-10 miles or less so barely enough time to get back up the 40-50 mph congested speed before you hit another slowdown.

i can honestly say that most of the times, averaging 45 mph around here is a bit of a pipe dream

i have taken a route several times that changes freeway 2 times. its about 62 miles one way and if driving 60 mph due to exits/entrances, i average about 45 mph with NO TRAFFIC

My ninth 100-plus mile charge today gives me a total of 1,006 miles--out of my first 2,445 miles driven--achieved on single charges of more than 100 miles. In other words, for 41% of the miles I have driven, I attained more than 100 miles per charge.

2012-03-10190913.jpg

2012-03-10191058.jpg

Back