siai
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:53 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 17489
Location: Deland, Fl.

Jack

I needed to remove the rear wheels from the LEAF to install a set of splash guards. As all of you are aware, the LEAF doesn't have a jack. The other car I have in the garage is a Chevrolet Cavalier. I used the jack from it to lift the LEAF. In the rear, there are two notches where the shock absorber attaches to the trailing link. The Cavalier jack fit perfectly into the notches for save lifting. It also fits with proper clearance at the factory lift points under the rocker panels. The handle for the jack is part of the assembly and folds for storage. Because so many Cavalier's were built, these jacks are available at just about any wrecking yard for very little money. Mid 90's to the last Cavalier built in '05 jacks should be the same and about $10 buys one. Even if you don't rotate your own tires it always good to have a jack around if you had to remove a flat in your driveway and take to be repaired,
derkraut
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:39 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 004248
Location: San Diego vicinity

Re: Jack

siai wrote:I needed to remove the rear wheels from the LEAF to install a set of splash guards. As all of you are aware, the LEAF doesn't have a jack. The other car I have in the garage is a Chevrolet Cavalier. I used the jack from it to lift the LEAF. In the rear, there are two notches where the shock absorber attaches to the trailing link. The Cavalier jack fit perfectly into the notches for save lifting. It also fits with proper clearance at the factory lift points under the rocker panels. The handle for the jack is part of the assembly and folds for storage. Because so many Cavalier's were built, these jacks are available at just about any wrecking yard for very little money. Mid 90's to the last Cavalier built in '05 jacks should be the same and about $10 buys one. Even if you don't rotate your own tires it always good to have a jack around if you had to remove a flat in your driveway and take to be repaired,

Good info....thanks for sharing :)
Derkraut
Color: Cayenne SLE, ETEC trim
reserved: 5/15/2010
Leaf del. 6/14/2011
New Traction battery installed on 7/28/2017:
User avatar
TickTock
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 3626
Location: Queen Creek, Arizona
Contact: Website

Re: Jack

siai wrote:I needed to remove the rear wheels from the LEAF to install a set of splash guards. As all of you are aware, the LEAF doesn't have a jack. The other car I have in the garage is a Chevrolet Cavalier. I used the jack from it to lift the LEAF. In the rear, there are two notches where the shock absorber attaches to the trailing link. The Cavalier jack fit perfectly into the notches for save lifting. It also fits with proper clearance at the factory lift points under the rocker panels. The handle for the jack is part of the assembly and folds for storage. Because so many Cavalier's were built, these jacks are available at just about any wrecking yard for very little money. Mid 90's to the last Cavalier built in '05 jacks should be the same and about $10 buys one. Even if you don't rotate your own tires it always good to have a jack around if you had to remove a flat in your driveway and take to be repaired,
Thanks for the information. Does the Cavalier jack fit in the jack storage spot behind the rear left panel?
daleph
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:32 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 5642

Re: Jack

is that a USA thing only? the UK leaf has a Jack, its located in the boot (trunk) , behind a little door on the left hand side...
User avatar
garygid
Posts: 12469
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 am
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855
Location: Laguna Hills, Orange Co, CA

Re: Jack

USA LEAF = no jack

With no spare, seldom need a jack,
but it would be handy for puncture repair.

Is a jack "required equipment" in UK?
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius
2011 LEAF, 2014 Tesla S85
2018 & 2019 Tesla Model 3
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
Craigslist: Xm5000Li Electric Motorcycle
User avatar
TickTock
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 3626
Location: Queen Creek, Arizona
Contact: Website

Re: Jack

I plan to start carrying around a donut spare but not much point having the spare if you don't have a jack, too. The mounting fixture is there in the US - just sans the actual jack. So I was looking for a compatible model I might be able to find from a junkyard.
User avatar
garygid
Posts: 12469
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 am
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855
Location: Laguna Hills, Orange Co, CA

Re: Jack

I have heard Altina, Camry, etc.

Almost any rail-lift scissor-jack, I expect.

Some might fit better than others
in the LEAF's left-side tool cabinet.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius
2011 LEAF, 2014 Tesla S85
2018 & 2019 Tesla Model 3
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
Craigslist: Xm5000Li Electric Motorcycle
daleph
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:32 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 5642

Re: Jack

garygid wrote:USA LEAF = no jack

With no spare, seldom need a jack,
but it would be handy for puncture repair.

Is a jack "required equipment" in UK?
No it is not a requirement to carry either a Jack or a Spare wheel, wondered why nissan would bother with the extra expense ?
User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10107
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002244
Location: Vista, California USA
Contact: Website YouTube

Re: Jack

TickTock wrote:I plan to start carrying around a donut spare but not much point having the spare if you don't have a jack, too. The mounting fixture is there in the US - just sans the actual jack. So I was looking for a compatible model I might be able to find from a junkyard.
More spare tire data:

The official Nissan spare tire for the LEAF is a T125/90D16 98M. The Jeep Grand Cherokee uses that tire, for instance.

The wheel (rim) part number is 403001ya7a that can be ordered from a Nissan dealership outside the USA. Good luck finding one. Price is big. Should be 66.1mm center hub diameter.

The jack part number is 99550-3ND0B and sells for UK £233.00 ($357 plus VAT and shipping and import duties). See below price of Altima jack in comparison.

The tool kit 99501-4J800 and sells for UK £113.00 ($173 plus shipping and government fees/taxes). You already have a lug wrench in a USA spec'd LEAF, so you shouldn't need this.

The Nissan Altima 2002-2006 spare wheel (rim) part number from any USA Nissan dealership:
40300-L31010. Should be 66.1mm center hub diameter.
$184

Jack: 99550-L31001
$33.08

Lug wrench: 99545
$7.15


Found this ad with a quick google search for the spare tire size "T125 90D16 98M":

Spare Tires T125 90D16 98M(^#^) - $20 (Richmond)

Date: 2012-01-08, 12:08PM PST
Reply to:

sale-vj72n-2776503780@craigslist.org

Bridgestone compact spare tire (Made in Japan) T125 90D16 98M c/w 5 bolts' rim. Bolt pattern 5x114.3 mm. Came off a Infiniti J30, may fit other type of vehicles. Price... $20

Note from me: Sometimes the bolt pattern may be in English measure, which is 5x4.5 inches. Also, Infiniti is a Nissan product.
Thanks,

Tony Williams
QC CHARGE
1497 POINSETTIA AVE
Suite 154
VISTA, CA 92081-8542 USA
Office M-F, 9-5pm Pacific Time
1-760-798-0342
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
User avatar
TickTock
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 3626
Location: Queen Creek, Arizona
Contact: Website

Re: Jack

Can one of our European members post a pic with some of the primary dimensions of the OE jack? This might help us find a suitable alternative. I know the jack from a Toyota Sienna does not fit. Seems like a Nissan Versa jack might be a good guess and lots are available on eBay for < $50 but I'd like to have some confidence of compatibility before purchasing.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”