Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Re: Scary braking problem

ABS on my Camry saved my butt a couple of times when someone pulled out in front of me suddenly. I barely avoided an accident both times. I am pretty sure I couldn't have stopped in time without the ABS.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet
highcountryrider
Delivery Date: 30 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 7355

BrendanDolan wrote:<snip>Just remember, ABS does in no way reduce your stopping distance, and a correctly driven, you can threshold brake a non ABS car to shorter stopping distances (and I threshold brake ABS cars when I need to get with the stopping program in a hurry).<snip>
I have to agree.My 1982 Toyota Starlet does not have ABS, but the company vehicles I drove while
I was working did. I only invoked the ABS once, in a parking lot. ;) The one time I was in a panic stop
situation on the freeway I was able to threshold the brakes and stop about 1/2 car length before
hitting the car in front of me. (Unfortunately the one behind me did not. :( ) I think I was able stop the
van about as fast as it could be stopped and maintained control the whole time.

I learned how to threshold, steer a skid, and all sorts of other things playing on wet grass or snow
out in the grasslands of South Dakota. Everyone should "play" in a safe situation, where there is
nothing/no one to hit, even if you can't do the professional driver school.

With those experiences, the very first time, in my teen years, that I hit the brakes on snow and started
to slide off the road, it took just a second or two for me to understand that I had to take my foot off
the brake to allow the wheels to turn and steer back onto the roadway. I now drive around here when
it snows and see lots of 4WD SUVs with ABS in the ditch while my little Starlet is still on the road and
getting around.

Long story short - The most important piece of safety equipment sits in the drivers seat. ;)
2011 Nissan LEAF™ SV trim, blue ocean, no options, accessories:
floor and cargo mats, cargo net.
Ordered on: 05/16/2011
Delivered Sept 3, 2011.
AV Dock installed.
ttweed
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1317

highcountryrider wrote:Long story short - The most important piece of safety equipment sits in the drivers seat. ;)
Absolutely true. In performance driving there is a corollary saying: "The first thing to upgrade on your car is the big nut behind the steering wheel." :D

TT
Tom Tweed
La Jolla, CA
Plowshare Media
2011 SLe #1317 del. 4/1/11
1st bar lost at 31,953 miles
2nd bar lost at 38,685 miles
3rd bar lost at 50,711 miles
4th bar lost at 59,758 miles after 64 months
Battery replaced at 61,307 miles.
TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Just to reiterate...
mogur wrote:Also, threshold braking can not compensate for tires with differing coefficients of friction due to different road surfaces, etc.; Four channel ABS can. For 99.4% of drivers and situations, ABS will be better and stop quicker.
BrendanDolan wrote:Threshold braking takes a ton of practice, which is why most people were taught to pump the brakes (lock, unlock, lock, unlock).
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.
aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

highcountryrider wrote:Long story short - The most important piece of safety equipment sits in the drivers seat. ;)
ttweed wrote:Absolutely true. In performance driving there is a corollary saying: "The first thing to upgrade on your car is the big nut behind the steering wheel." :D
TT
I've been trying for years to tighten that loose nut behind my steering wheel!
Anna Nguyen
TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

I think mine is stripped! :lol:
aqn wrote:I've been trying for years to tighten that loose nut behind my steering wheel!
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.
highcountryrider
Delivery Date: 30 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 7355

Problem is, the stud is metric and my nut is SAE! :o :lol:
2011 Nissan LEAF™ SV trim, blue ocean, no options, accessories:
floor and cargo mats, cargo net.
Ordered on: 05/16/2011
Delivered Sept 3, 2011.
AV Dock installed.
LakeLeaf
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2018

mogur wrote:I think mine is stripped! :lol:
aqn wrote:I've been trying for years to tighten that loose nut behind my steering wheel!
Careful - you can get arrested for driving like that :o
rhare
Delivery Date: 02 Feb 2011

I just experienced the behavior describe. In a panic stop situation the car continued to brake hard after the brake pedal was released for a 1/2 second or so. This was not normal behavior and potentially very dangerous. Has anyone that experienced this had any results/explanation from the dealers? I came upon this forum via Google looking to see if this was a known issue and it appears it is. We just got the Leaf (last month), 2011 SL model and are in one of the foresaken states - so we will have to trailer and haul the car a few hundred miles to have this issue looked at by a "authorized" dealer. :(
GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

I talked to my dealer about this back in August. They gave me a loaner to drive while they worked on it for a couple of days. They were able to duplicate the issue with my car, but not with their demo. They suspected the ABS controller, etc. and were ready to start replacing parts until Nissan corporate told them that the action was a normal function of the brake assist and not to replace any parts. Reluctantly, my dealer called to have me return the loaner and pick up my car. They were very appologetic about not being able to fix the issue and suggested that I contact Nissan customer service to elevate the issue and try to get some action. I eventually called customer service in December to elevate this issue and ask how to keep the heater from coming on while still having forced ventilation. The representative I talked to worked on these issues for several days and kept calling me with updates. Eventually, she had to tell me the corporate answer that this is a normal function of the brake assist system. Although I have not yet done so, I intend to report it to NHTSA to get it into their database.

Before taking my car to the dealer, I did enough testing in a safe area to make some observations about the brake assist system action. I found that the brake assist system seems to function differently if it becomes engaged at higher speeds (say over 50 or 55 miles/hour) than it does when it becomes engaged at lower speeds. If engaged at lower speeds, the brake assist will release the brakes 1/2 second or so after the driver releases the brake pedal. If engaged at higher speeds, the brake assist will keep the brakes applied until the car comes to a complete stop. I also found that the brakes will release immediately when the accelerator pedal is depressed (even slightly) regardless of the speed at which the brake assist becomes engaged.

Gerry
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”