Use Google Maps to program a destination in your Leaf's Navi

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
58phil said:
Alright, I give up!

I tried this feature a couple of weeks ago. Now how do I make it stop? There has to be a way that doesn't completely disable downloads.
After a few more days, you won't care that you have to completely disable downloads, yank out the telematics unit, set fire to it, and pour chicken blood in the glove box.

Anyone contact customer service about this issue? I wish I read about it before trying this earlier today, but luckily I expect to leave things on manual download for now...

Yes - There has to be a fix for this. Every time I get in the car I hear the addresses over and over again. Is there any way to get the carwings to shut up. How can I delete the "Send to Carwings" addresses sent from Google.

GroundLoop said:
There really should be a WARNING CAUTION on the first post of this thread to inform folks that any destination will haunt them for quite some time.

Big old red warnings added to the beginning of the article and in the auto-downloaded section:

WARNING: If you setup auto-download, there's no known way to get it to stop prompting you. The suggestion is to not use auto-download until a fix is available from Nissan (if ever)

I changed the order of the feeds so that Nissan Info or ID is used and the auto download isn't the items always downloaded. Sorry I don't have a step by step walk through but it's in the Navigation Manual in the CarWings section.

The problem I'm having is after I make a map and save it to My Maps (Google) sending the "Saved" map does not show CAR anymore...

This feature seems to intermittently disappear from Google Maps. There are many threads about it. No one seems to know for sure why this is happening, but Google has apparently been made aware of the problem. As of today, it's gone.

It's too bad that we can't use an alternative service and/or have options as to which service we want to use. Mapquest offers a similar function, but only for vehicles with OnStar (GM) and Sync (Ford) systems.

unhookt said:
This feature seems to intermittently disappear from Google Maps. There are many threads about it. No one seems to know for sure why this is happening, but Google has apparently been made aware of the problem. As of today, it's gone.

It's too bad that we can't use an alternative service and/or have options as to which service we want to use. Mapquest offers a similar function, but only for vehicles with OnStar (GM) and Sync (Ford) systems.

i had the issue of SEVERAL features disappearing from Google Maps and most were resolved by updating Chrome which does not provide a popup or notification when an update is available. supposedly there is a symbol on the header somewhere. i have not noticed this symbol, but blogs report this.

now, i still have not retrieved the distance measuring tool and it is apparently gone for good. have not seen it in a long time or its been moved and i have not run across it yet

sdbonez said:
How To Send a Google Maps route destination from your computer to your Leaf's Navigation System

Step 1A: Get Driving Directions in Google Maps & Send the Route Destination to your Carwings account
  1. Visit http://maps.google.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from any computer
  2. Use the search box to enter a start and end point for your route (e.g. "1551 Auto Park Way, 92029 to 8118 Clairemont Mesa Blvd, 92111"). Don't enter the double quotes and make absolutely sure you click on the 'Search Maps' button to the right of the search bar or it may not work
  3. Driving Directions will be displayed - adjust as necessary if your addresses weren't specific until you have a clear 'Point A' to 'Point B' route
  4. In the upper right header of the page will be some links to 'Print', 'Send', and 'Link' your Driving Directions. Click 'Send'.
  5. A window will pop-up defaulting to sending the directions to an email address. In the left column, click on the second option 'Car'

1. I'm good up to this point BUT I don't see a "Send To > Car" option. Everything before is standard Google maps operation.
    I'm guessing the car option is set up somewhere else - I can't find how to set that up.

A pointer please?

brettcgb said:
sdbonez said:
How To Send a Google Maps route destination from your computer to your Leaf's Navigation System

Step 1A: Get Driving Directions in Google Maps & Send the Route Destination to your Carwings account
  1. Visit http://maps.google.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from any computer
  2. Use the search box to enter a start and end point for your route (e.g. "1551 Auto Park Way, 92029 to 8118 Clairemont Mesa Blvd, 92111"). Don't enter the double quotes and make absolutely sure you click on the 'Search Maps' button to the right of the search bar or it may not work
  3. Driving Directions will be displayed - adjust as necessary if your addresses weren't specific until you have a clear 'Point A' to 'Point B' route
  4. In the upper right header of the page will be some links to 'Print', 'Send', and 'Link' your Driving Directions. Click 'Send'.
  5. A window will pop-up defaulting to sending the directions to an email address. In the left column, click on the second option 'Car'

1. I'm good up to this point BUT I don't see a "Send To > Car" option. Everything before is standard Google maps operation.
    I'm guessing the car option is set up somewhere else - I can't find how to set that up.

A pointer please?

1. It's still there but it's kinda hidden.

Look for a 'link' icon next to the printer near the upper left of the map window. It is close to the 'Get Directions' and 'My Places' buttons. Clicking on this link brings up a new window with a 'send' link. When you click on 'Send' you get yet another window that has 'Car' as one of the destinations.

The original directions I think need to be updated a bit with google's new look.

I always send destinations to the car, never whole routes, I just let the car route me.

I'll look up something on google. Click the pushpin of where I want to go. Then within the "bubble" that pops up for the push pin, click More-> Send -> car

For directions, as Nekota said, once you have the directions up, you now have to click the icon that looks like a chain link, then click Send -> Car.

I noticed that the Send link does not appear on saved maps (now called "My Places"). The only option for saved maps is to send via email. I'm not sure it was ever an option though.

Nekota said:
brettcgb said:
sdbonez said:

A pointer please?

1. It's still there but it's kinda hidden.

Look for a 'link' icon next to the printer near the upper left of the map window. It is close to the 'Get Directions' and 'My Places' buttons. Clicking on this link brings up a new window with a 'send' link. When you click on 'Send' you get yet another window that has 'Car' as one of the destinations.

1. Got it - Thanks

Bit of an older thread to resurrect but I need some clarification especially considering how Google Maps has been updated since these instructions were initially written up. While I figured out how to have Google maps send the destination address to Carwings, I haven't been able to get it to send whole routes. Since there's a specific manner in which I like to transverse into SF, I'd really appreciate it if there was a way to send a pre-determined route to the Leaf's navigation. Does anyone know if this function still exists or can be implemented from current software?

I noticed the same issue as well. I had set a trip to user surface streets but it still used the freeway for posts of the route.

What I ended up doing is planning the route with several way points

waitingforaleaf said:
Bit of an older thread to resurrect but I need some clarification especially considering how Google Maps has been updated since these instructions were initially written up. While I figured out how to have Google maps send the destination address to Carwings, I haven't been able to get it to send whole routes. Since there's a specific manner in which I like to transverse into SF, I'd really appreciate it if there was a way to send a pre-determined route to the Leaf's navigation. Does anyone know if this function still exists or can be implemented from current software?

Google only sends one location, usually used as a destination,
but it could be used as a "via" point.

The only Route (that I have not used) is from within Carwings itself.
Does that (still) work?

garygid said:
Google only sends one location, usually used as a destination,
but it could be used as a "via" point.

The only Route (that I have not used) is from within Carwings itself.
Does that (still) work?

Carwings?... Carwings, what is that?

Wow, this is the very first thread I've found about the annoying CARWINGS read-you-the-selected-feed upon starting the car every time. I've looked for it elsewhere without success.

At some point Da Husband set the downloads to NEVER. Result? No data for two months. So I need downloads, without having a feed read to me. The feed I had selected was the energy usage one (how I did on efficiency, how I rank in my region, etc).

Odd solution that I stumbled upon: If I set my screen to STATUS instead of MAPS, it doesn't read me the feed. But it does download the info.

Don't know if this would suppress the Google Maps feed, as I never made that my default download. I only ask for it when I need a destination.

Also, does anyone know how "region" is defined? I keep slipping into the 2 and 3 thousands in my ranking. Is that North America? The US? California? Northern California? How do I find out?

This is a good thread.

The address-find on this car's nav is absolutely beyond crap in every manner. It's really a whole big barrel of pathetic. For example if I want a hospital instead of it showing close-by real emergency rooms it gives me a massive list of health-related establishments like a massage clinic.

Also, if I want to put in an address on a street like "South Wales" like I did recently it couldn't find it--and that is the real street's name. Instead I had to put in Wales, South. Oh, and if the street is named something like 85 South, just seriously do not bother. Hold your iPhone in your hand and get there like that.

The Nav does work well when it has the location, but using its built in search is tremendously frustrating. My Garmin GPS unit was the same way, though. Essentially it had no usable search and even putting in an address could be difficult.

Speaking of iPhone, in both chrome and sarafi I see no way to send to car. Anybody done it? I just googled and people have complained about this for other cars for years. Not sure why google hasn't made it an option on mobile, it's so obviously needed.

Back