Wanted: Extreme Cold Range Data (earn free t-shirt!)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:

100.1 miles / 5.3 miles per kWh = 18.88kWh burned. This is almost identical to my trip from Long Beach to San Diego where I drove exactly 100 miles at 5.1, driving in the garage in Turtle. My ambient temp was a bit higher, in the 50F's.

Ambient air 38F - 43F

LB - 11.9 miles until
VLB - 6.6 miles until

Ration LBW to VLB - 55%

Truly great data ! Please shoot me an email at TonyWilliams at LoveMyLEAF daught com with your shipping address, shirt size (S, M, L, XL) and color (Blue or Yellow).

So, let's see how this data fits.

Model 1 of "1% loss per 4F below 21kWh capacity at 70F":

Assumed battery temp of 40F is a 30F delta from 70F, therefore 30 / 4 = 7.5% reduction in battery.

7.5% of 21kWh = 19.42kWh

Model 2, "1% loss per 4F below 20kWh at 70F"

70-40 = 30 / 4 = 7.5% * 20kWh = 18.5kWh

Model 3, "1% loss per 4F below 20.5kWh at 75F"

75-40 = 35 delta / 4 = 8.75% * 20.5kWh = 17.95kWh

DaveinOlyWA said:
2012-01-26_16-59-21_23.jpg
Dave, do you know when you gained the fifth battery temperature bar? Over the course of that 100 miles, it seems that the average battery temperature was likely higher than 40°F. Knowing the point at which you gained the fifth temperature bar might give us a clue.

As a side note, we just had an interesting day in terms of battery temperature. We started down the mountain with four battery temperature bars, ambient temp in the low 40s, and a bit less than 80% charge after preheating while unplugged. The LEAF gained the fifth temperature bar near the bottom of our 5000' descent due to heat from regen, then went up to six temperature bars while charging to 100% near our destination 50+ miles away. This shouldn't be surprising, though, as the LEAF was parked in the sun near our destination while charging, with an ambient temperature of about 80°F. Still, the pack went from four temperature bars to six bars within the space of several hours, not an everyday occurrence!

Had not noticed the Barry bar until you mentioned it. During stops I went from 98 GID to 102 while stuffing sushi in my face. Air temps were 43-44 but it was full sun. The car itself was plenty warm enough that there was no need for heat to the point that I did not even zip up my coat. Wondering if that is why because I have seen temps higher that still left me st 4 bars

5.3 miles per K
TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

100.1 miles / 5.1 miles per kWh = 18.88kWh burned. This is almost identical to my trip from Long Beach to San Diego where I drove exactly 100 miles at 5.1, driving in the garage in Turtle. My ambient temp was a bit higher, in the 50F's.

Ambient air 38F - 43F

LB - 11.9 miles until
VLB - 6.6 miles until

Ration LBW to VLB - 55%

Truly great data ! Please shoot me an email at TonyWilliams at LoveMyLEAF daught com with your shipping address, shirt size (S, M, L, XL) and color (Blue or Yellow).

Assumed battery temp of 40F is a 30F delta from 70F, therefore 30 / 4 = 7.5% reduction in battery.

7.5% of 21kWh = 19.42kWh

Model 2, "1% loss per 4F below 20kWh at 70F"

70-40 = 30 / 4 = 7.5% * 20kWh = 18.5kWh

Model 3, "1% loss per 4F below 20.5kWh at 75F"

75-40 = 35 delta / 4 = 8.75% * 20.5kWh = 17.95kWh

DaveinOlyWA said:
5.3 miles per K

I got the math right, and confused your 5.3 for my 5.1. By the way, that trip I made was right at 5.3 and 45mph the whole until I needed the darn heater at the end. 100 miles, though, but with some pretty agressive hyper idling the last several miles to offset the heater.

TonyWilliams said:
100.1 miles / 5.1 miles per kWh = 18.88kWh burned. This is almost identical to my trip from Long Beach to San Diego where I drove exactly 100 miles at 5.1, driving in the garage in Turtle. My ambient temp was a bit higher, in the 50F's.

7.5% of 21kWh = 19.42kWh

When I did my calculation last time in June (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4344" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), I got 20.9 kWh and boomer's data showed 21.1 kwh. We should consolidate to see if there is more data pointing to 21 kWh.

If we assume 21 kWh - from Dave's data we get a loss of 21-18.9 = 2.1 kWh for 30 degrees, a 10% loss.

So, may be the rule could be "1% loss per 3F below 21kWh capacity at 70F".

I don't know how well that fits your other data points.

TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
5.3 miles per K

I got the math right, and confused your 5.3 for my 5.1. By the way, that trip I made was right at 5.3 and 45mph the whole until I needed the darn heater at the end. 100 miles, though, but with some pretty agressive hyper idling the last several miles to offset the heater.
I just did 65 mi (4.6 mi/kwh) at 32 F last weekend. I started with 11 bars and used about 10 - 11 bars (I don't remember exactly, but I don't think there were any bars left), getting the LBW at around 13 mi (GOM). I finished with about 7 mi (GOM) remaining. No VLBW or Turtle so I knew I would make it. Drove 50-60 mph going and 30-40 mph returning. That's about my anxiety limit. I might try for longer distances when the weather warms up (even 45 F is easier). No heat is tough on the feet. Why can't Nissan let us put the air flow on window only? :evil:

Reddy

ok have another report

this is the "other side" of our driving needs. the Centralia trip aka; mostly freeway!

its 62.6 miles RT with SO work schedule of 9:30 am to 8 PM. I - 5 entrance at Pacific Ave in Olympia exit 107 and exiting in Centralia exit 81 (its actually about 53.6 miles freeway)

trip going 60 mph, heat on all the way. temps about 42º with drop off of Son to daycare which is a total 7 block detour required from negotiating one way streets. i pick him up in the evening.

trip home 39º speeds ranging from 55 to 60 and heat toggled. i told her how to read the SOC and what to look for but she was paranoid anyway. missed LB since it was on a "blinking 6" when she got home at 64.1 miles and 3.7 miles/k.

i took it out and ran a circuit at 35-40 mph until i parked it at 79.3 miles and 4.1 miles/k. SOC 3% GID 8.

naturally, she would not believe i could drive it another 15 miles on a blinking GOM!!

(another t-shirt is not required)

DaveinOlyWA said:
heat on all the way. temps about 42º... trip home 39º....

64.1 miles and 3.7 miles/k....

i took it out and ran a circuit at 35-40 mph until i parked it at 79.3 miles and 4.1 miles/k. SOC 3% GID 8.

Well.... if we go back and compare the various assumed battery temperatures, this one doesn't fit.

You had another mile or three left, so 82 miles / 4.1 is 20kWh consumed.

We absolutely need a way to measure the battery temperature, because there is far too much variation. Or some other factor is in play that isn't obvious.

TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
heat on all the way. temps about 42º... trip home 39º....

64.1 miles and 3.7 miles/k....

Well.... if we go back and compare the various assumed battery temperatures, this one doesn't fit.

You had another mile or three left, so 82 miles / 4.1 is 20kWh consumed.

We absolutely need a way to measure the battery temperature, because there is far too much variation. Or some other factor is in play that isn't obvious.

ya problem on this one is i did not do the first 64 miles so have to go on what i am told and this is from a person who does not like to drive Leaf in winter and so can only go by what she tells me. now, the Leaf sits outside at her work but was pretty warm and sunny temps were upper 40's but temp drops fast when Sun goes down so it gets pretty cold but does not tell us how much heat the pack absorbed since it is sitting on asphalt which can warm up quickly in full Sun.

another thing i was talking to her so missed the VLB warning as well...

TonyWilliams said:
I hope she's more comfortable with range with the Gidmeter and your demonstrated extra 15 miles.

LOL!! ya right... she is fine in the Summer but hates driving it in Winter and i dont think that will change any time soon

TonyWilliams said:

the wackiest thing I'm seeing with this warm couple of days up north here is that it appears to be much easier to achieve a higher efficiency/MPkW at 50 degrees than say below 30-40 f. It also appears that acceleration is improved noticeably. has anyone come up with a possible explanation for this? I've been using Zero Climate control consistently.

Back